fbsound 1.1 (dynamic) Windows/Linux 32 and 64-bit (wav mp3 ogg mod it xm s3m)

Headers, Bindings, Libraries for use with FreeBASIC, Please include example of use to help ensure they are tested and usable.
chung

Re: fbsound 1.1 (dynamic) Windows/Linux 32 and 64-bit (wav mp3 ogg mod it xm s3m)

Post by chung »

can you make a plug-MM32 and plug-VSTI to work with 32bits sound instead of 16bits and vsti ?

i made something like that on the older versions, butt cant compile it no more ...
Juergen Kuehlwein

Re: fbsound 1.1 (dynamic) Windows/Linux 32 and 64-bit (wav mp3 ogg mod it xm s3m)

Post by Juergen Kuehlwein »

Hi D.J.Peters,

would you please drop me a mail at <jk-ide at t minus online dot de>. It´s about an audio project and fbsound. Thanks,

JK
tone

Post by tone »

Hi,

I just looked in these zips, and I cannot see libfbsound-64.so in either zip download. I can see there is a .a file of it, in the windows folders of all and Linux folder of fbsound-1.0-src.zip, I am really new to linux and I read that .a is an archive and .so is static object (neither of which mean anything to me, but I also read that you needed to add -c to the build compiler line. is this libfbsound-64.a the same in the windows and linux folders, or is it just the name that is the same?
Anyway, I copied that .a file into the lib and inc folders of freebasic and it did nothing (still compiler error for not loading it). Then I pasted it into the inc and lib of the fbsound-1.1 folder where I have the code I'm compiling and now the compiler is saying:
error: lib fbsound-64 not loaded !
Segmentation fault
Compilation failed

So I think this is an improvement, but clearly I'm still doing something wrong through my ignorance. Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thanks!
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Juergen Kuehlwein wrote:Hi D.J.Peters, would you please drop me a mail at !!! it´s about an audio project and fbsound. Thanks, JK
Come on we all and I help you for free, what's going on my friend ?

But please don't give me the right answer for this fundamental sentence !
Richard wrote:If you keep coming up with compression algorithms at this rate, the universe will implode in on itself and there will be no information left to store.
looks like a joke at the first glance
but trust me
the expansion of the universe tells us one important thing
if on 100 x 100 x 100 meters or feets are one particle left
there is no way to store any information !

Without any kind of information you can't compress or decompress it !

I'm sure the current rate of expansion let us handle your questions.

Dr. Prof. D.J.Peters :lol:

Joshy
Juergen Kuehlwein

Post by Juergen Kuehlwein »

Well, i just wanted to talk with you in private - nothing super important, nothing super special, nothing illegal ;-). This forum doesn´t offer private messages and i don´t have your mail address ...

JK
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

D.J.Peters wrote:Come on we all and I help you for free, what's going on my friend ?

But please don't give me the right answer for this fundamental sentence ! [...]
I'm sure the current rate of [universe] expansion let us handle your questions.
Dr. Prof. D.J.Peters :lol:
Joshy
This is one of those funny & smart guys we have around here; makes it a pleasure to come back. Also as scientific as he is, he likes to be read between the lines. Not that you can always have any idea what is between them...

Sometimes you can. Sometimes you can only guess. Either way I think it's okay.

Whole new year ahead, friends. :)

-mrToad

...and a toad... can certainly never be taken too seriously.
Richard

Post by Richard »

but trust me
In a Multiverse, every decision duplicates all the information, which messes with the total entropy of the universe. The exponential information growth must be deleted as fast as it happens. The multiverse must therefore be a fiction.
To overcome this problem, theoretical physicists tangle all the particles together with String Theory. Even after the universe is expanded, or you are swallowed by a black hole, all the information is preserved as a hologram, in the strings where they pass through the boundary of “empty” space, or the event horizon. It is therefor impossible to delete information or the history of the universe.
Deletion or compression of data will be recorded in the strings and can always be reversed. String Theory is the ultimate audit trail, but it is theoretically impossible to prove that String Theory is real.
What fiction will they think up next?
Happy new Multiverse.
tone

Post by tone »

Richard wrote:
but trust me
In a Multiverse, every decision duplicates all the information, which messes with the total entropy of the universe. The exponential information growth must be deleted as fast as it happens. The multiverse must therefore be a fiction.
To overcome this problem, theoretical physicists tangle all the particles together with String Theory. Even after the universe is expanded, or you are swallowed by a black hole, all the information is preserved as a hologram, in the strings where they pass through the boundary of “empty” space, or the event horizon. It is therefor impossible to delete information or the history of the universe.
Deletion or compression of data will be recorded in the strings and can always be reversed. String Theory is the ultimate audit trail, but it is theoretically impossible to prove that String Theory is real.
What fiction will they think up next?
Happy new Multiverse.
Mate, the multiverse is IMHO the most likely order of creation, but no one will ever know, at the end of the day why would anything exist? Why not an infinite multitude of universes, with various physical constants (Plank, strong/weak magnetic forces, gravity, spacetime curvatures etc.)? I don't see how it defies entropy because the systems are not interacting.
Nothing about the fundamentals of reality really make logical sense if you think about it on a first principles perspective. I'm not a scientist, nor even have aquired middle age wisdom yet, but even I know that logic is of finite capacity to explain creation, as Kurt Godel proved. Moreover, I'm pretty sure in my university days we even covered that the basics of mathematics is predicated on fundamental unproveable axioms, to which Burtrand Russell was not thrilled about. If you believe life is random it would probably take a near infinite amount of universes just to yield such an entropy defying chemically complex system. In typing this the 'Anthropic Principle' comes to mind, but I'm not sure if it's relevant.

The downside, that means there is possibly more than one Scomo, hopefully this is the only universe with him as PM.
Cheers
tone

Post by tone »

Hey, not sure if this go overlooked but I am a linux novice, as anyone had this issue with Segmentation fault when trying to use fbsound?
tone wrote:Hi,

I just looked in these zips, and I cannot see libfbsound-64.so in either zip download. I can see there is a .a file of it, in the windows folders of all and Linux folder of fbsound-1.0-src.zip, I am really new to linux and I read that .a is an archive and .so is static object (neither of which mean anything to me, but I also read that you needed to add -c to the build compiler line. is this libfbsound-64.a the same in the windows and linux folders, or is it just the name that is the same?
Anyway, I copied that .a file into the lib and inc folders of freebasic and it did nothing (still compiler error for not loading it). Then I pasted it into the inc and lib of the fbsound-1.1 folder where I have the code I'm compiling and now the compiler is saying:
error: lib fbsound-64 not loaded !
Segmentation fault
Compilation failed

So I think this is an improvement, but clearly I'm still doing something wrong through my ignorance. Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Is there an installation guide I can follow to make sure I'm linking to it correctly, and any build options are included as necessary?

Thanks very much
tone

Post by tone »

Hi,
I've been trying all manor of things, I pasted the lib and inc folder contents of fbsound in every lib and inc folder which is relevant, I modified:
#include "/home/Rob/Desktop/FreeBASIC-1.07.1-linux-x86_64/inc/fbsound.bi"

from fbsound_dynamic.bi

because I don't see an fbsound_dynamic.bi file

but still no closer, the error now says ld: cannot find -lfbsound-64
/bin/sh: 1: ./fbs_create_wave: not found

Side question: the error statements and numbers the compiler gives, are they from freebasic or Geany? I can't find any list of error codes for either to find what like error code 7 etc. mean.

Is there anything special I need to be writing in the geany build commands for linux? Because the code worked fine on windows using the freebasic IDE.

Thanks in advance
badidea

Post by badidea »

tone wrote:...
I had some problems with fbsound myself. I did solve it, but I don't remember what the trick was.
Can you try to compile and run this game? https://nr100.home.xs4all.nl/badidea/fr ... -04-29.zip [4.6 MB]
It has fbsound included (with a fbsound_dynamic.bi). Compile with 'fbc fb_vs_t_main.bas'.
Should work on Windows and Ubuntu with 32 and 64 bit fbc.
tone

Post by tone »

badidea wrote:
tone wrote:...
I had some problems with fbsound myself. I did solve it, but I don't remember what the trick was.
Can you try to compile and run this game? https://nr100.home.xs4all.nl/badidea/fr ... -04-29.zip [4.6 MB]
It has fbsound included (with a fbsound_dynamic.bi). Compile with 'fbc fb_vs_t_main.bas'.
Should work on Windows and Ubuntu with 32 and 64 bit fbc.
Thanks heaps for the reply!

To my shock it did compile, nice game badidea.

I still haven't figured out what the issue is, (I'm really rusty on linking libraries and including things and referencing directories and new to linux as I said) but when I put my .bas in the freebasic_vs_tetris folder with your game .bas, this part of the code gets triggered:
if fbs_Init()=false then
print "error: FBS_INIT() " & FBS_Get_PlugError()
beep : sleep : end 1
end if

and the compilation fails saying 'error: FBS_INIT()'

Note: when I comment that part of the code out I get runtime error 7 (null pointer access)

There are files in your fbsound-1.1 such as libfbsound-64.so which are not in the .zip etc.
badidea

Post by badidea »

tone wrote:To my shock it did compile, nice game badidea.
So at least something works.
Initially I wanted to put the 'fbsound-XX.dll' and 'libfbsound-XX.so' files in the 'fbsound-1.1' sub-directory, but I did not got that working.
tone wrote:There are files in your fbsound-1.1 such as libfbsound-64.so which are not in the .zip etc.
I don't remember, but I probably compiled the fbsound lib from source myself for both 32 and 64 bit.
tone

Post by tone »

badidea wrote:
tone wrote:To my shock it did compile, nice game badidea.
So at least something works.
Initially I wanted to put the 'fbsound-XX.dll' and 'libfbsound-XX.so' files in the 'fbsound-1.1' sub-directory, but I did not got that working.
tone wrote:There are files in your fbsound-1.1 such as libfbsound-64.so which are not in the .zip etc.
I don't remember, but I probably compiled the fbsound lib from source myself for both 32 and 64 bit.
Okay, it's very strange, when I create a new folder (or use your folder) with your .libfsound-64.so and -32.so files and fbsound-1.1 folder it will work for:

#include once "fbsound-1.1/inc/fbsound_dynamic.bi"
fbs_Set_PlugPath("./fbsound-1.1/")

or if I make the new folder 'vs_tetris':

#include once "/home/Rob/Desktop/vs_tetris/fbsound-1.1/inc/fbsound_dynamic.bi"
fbs_Set_PlugPath("/home/Rob/Desktop/vs_tetris/fbsound-1.1/")

By the way I had to add the line
to my code. What does this do?

Which is great news, and I'm very happy. But I don't know why it wasn't working when I had these files with the 'tests' folder for my original fbsound-1.1. Probably not worth investigating, just one of those unexplained things.

Thanks!
badidea

Post by badidea »

tone wrote:By the way I had to add the line
to my code. What does this do?
According to the manual this: http://shiny3d.de/public/fbsound/englis ... t_PlugPath
But I never got that working for libfbsound-xx.so. So I had to keep them in the same directory as the executable.
See also these remarks by D.J.Peters:
- https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... th#p191706
- https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... th#p130478
- https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... ath#p67662

Edit: I was trying some more things (how to get things working with libfbsound-xx.so in the fbsound sub-directory):
- Using freebasic's #libpath does not work. Only for static libraries?
- What does does work is adding the fbsound directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the terminal. But this is an inconvenient solution.