Game Concept Idea Thread

Game development specific discussions.
KristopherWindsor

Game Concept Idea Thread

Post by KristopherWindsor »

It seems that the best new games are not necessarily the ones with the best graphics or biggest budget, but they are the most original games. Originality is one of the main reasons individual / hobbyist programmers can sell shareware games even when there are games with multi-million dollar budgets.
Some people have ideas they don't know how to program, and some good programmers don't have original ideas. That's why this ongoing thread of original game ideas should be a great help to a lot of programmers.
Original game ideas, or links to other sites with game ideas are welcome here. :-)
Last edited by KristopherWindsor on Sep 27, 2007 5:19, edited 1 time in total.
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

Sure, I like the idea...
stylin

Post by stylin »

In one of my classes we had a game design project that started with the class spouting out random items for different categories, like the setting, major hero/villian, genre, theme, etc. Once we had about 10 suggestions for each category we'd randomly pick one from each category and design a game based on those random parts. It was pretty fun, and it's a good exercise to do if you've hit a mental block.. :)
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

This isn't exactly game idea, but could be very usefull - undo tree. Just like the undo history in photoshop, but after you undo some steps and then execute new function, the undoed steps don't get deleted, but instead you get new branch in your undo tree.

It's not that hard to program this, I just don't have enough time.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I was never impressed with the issue of originality in computer games, nor do I appreciate this aspect as terribly important. It IS relevant, of course, but originality alones truly means nothing. Anyway, I always was attracted toward remaking or expanding old concepts, or on the other hand enjoyed playing games that succeed in bringing new experience in old clothes. Like, for example, the stuff that Nifflas does(http://nifflas.ni2.se/). Nothing truly revolutionary in his platform/puzzle games, but his unique graphics style and excellent design make his games something special. Then again, someone might call his graphics style original. Oh, well.

Are we talking only of gameplay originality?

Also, I was never a fan of this sort of threads/discussion because people seem to be strangely uninterested in other people ideas, despite claiming otherwise. I won't say I'm innocent of this.
Deleter

Post by Deleter »

Focusing on originality because you want your game to be fun is a mistake. Focusing on fun, whether it requires a ton of originality or very little is a much better path. Originality should be a path your game might travel on the road to fun, rather than its final goal. I speak with much bias here but, Option V is highly unoriginal, I have one element in it that is marginally original. However it is a pretty fun game, and its the fact I focused on blending the elements together and maximizing everything for fun that it is so, not just because I put something original in there.
Lachie Dazdarian

I agree.

BTW, where are you with Option V now? You seem to be dragging this for the past few weeks in stand still.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

My biggest problem with games has been that I've never finished one. I start them. Get many of the basic gameplay pieces together, then it dies on the vine because I got bored with the idea, or got writers block and put the game away.

My latest, Hex Factor, is the closest I've gotten to completing a game. And I'm trying very hard not to let this game die an unfinished death. :-)

-Vince
Deleter

Post by Deleter »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I agree.

BTW, where are you with Option V now? You seem to be dragging this for the past few weeks in stand still.
Its called college, eater of time and energy. Option V is on whenever I can mode. Ntm, I haven't heard from Zamaster in a while and I don't want to make any kind of public release without having music.

On topic, I find it helps if you have a brainstorming session soon after you get the idea, and be willing to find a better idea in the process. Sometimes an idea will hit you and you think it will be great, but as you go on it seems less and less appealing. The more thought you put into it beforehand the better off you will be in the long run.
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

I think you can create fairly original games by combining elements of multiple games. For example, Zonaxtic was a combination space action / strategy game. Sometimes the result can seem altogether original. For example, turn Tetris into an RPG where the player has to avoid the falling bricks, and save the world from the aliens. It could happen...
Also, there was a Halloween Game suggestion here.
h4tt3n

Post by h4tt3n »

Talking about combining old ideas into new ones...

I've always fancied the idea of a 2d sidescroll RTS game ^^

Imagine a scorched earth / worms / soldat type of universe with mountains, caves and oceans except with real time strategy. It opens up a whole lot of new possibilities, like underwater / underground battles, and new ways of thinking strategy.
All the old rts games like C&C, starcraft and the like are really 2d too, so all you change is the point of view. 90 degrees to be accurate ^^
thesanman112

well...

Post by thesanman112 »

my thoughts would be fps, or fpr, first person racer....To be honest we havn't seen any basic idea's like different from anything outside of the 2d to 3d spectrum....gut more concept level of between pacman to quake....everything just seems to be getting to be more 'life' like or cartoony like...or like computer chess, more advanced like....So what else is there really? A new addicting concept game available on all platforms---there is already enough...however many they come up with, and there will always be the want for new one's.

If I can make a flight simulator in freebasic , what kind of games do you think I want to play??? Ahhh whats the use, I'll give it to ya......Just make them so a 3 year old can play it and a teenager would like it!!
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

The sad truth is that my ideas are so awesome, I can't post in this thread x_x;;
Leonheart

Nice game wanted

Post by Leonheart »

As a gamer, what is gamer wanted is they can control their character everytime, good AI and fair game (but not the imposible one), doesn't waste time for make an action (to many parameter and abnormal of addictive element), fast move and thinking, closest to reality. Of course many gamer love a bloody game (just to feels like real).

What do you think?
Lachie Dazdarian

Erm....I think this is just your personal taste. Some like slow games. Some like unrealistic cartoon games. Some don't like blood.