Game Concept Idea Thread

Game development specific discussions.
SamLemke

Post by SamLemke »

i still have many unanswerd questions as well. i can tell you this, i would like to have a spirt world under the "real" world. so say some bosses will have to be fought from the spirt world as well as the physical world in order to kill it.

yes i do have a basic code down ;) my friend made a program that can randemly generate mountans and land. but this is really really new and not setup to do large areas yet. im probly gonna make a pixel coloering program that can convert pixel color into objects and land height. this way i just use a "paint" like program and color in how i want it to look! should be cool. im in the prosses of making models and have not yet done any gameplay code (inventory, weapon/monster stats.. ect) i would like to have quests and scripped events but that is further up the road.

my friend is working on some gameplay ideas!

i have another friend who went to collage for network securiy so ill probly quiz him on how to setup the MMO server.

this is a ton of work but every time i code i get closer to the goal! once i have some auctial game play ill probly setup a website.

ill probly not have complex charters and monsters right away because that really takes time but that will be patched into the game at later times ;)

im also planing to use freebasic for all my code.

if you have any ideas or think you can help let me know! my contact info is on my profile.

im gonna say 6 + more months before i have anything playable(not complete). i may also make a single player version just to see if its fun!

peace!
sam
rdc

Post by rdc »

I thought I would post this here in the sticky:

http://www.squidi.net/three/index.php

Quite a few game ideas.
kiyotewolf

Bubble Bobble side scrolly

Post by kiyotewolf »

I plan to make a side-scrolling adventure based on the NES version of Bubble Bobble.

Yes I know "YOU'RE USING COPYRIGHT CHARACTERS, YOU'RE GONNA GET SUED"..

About the only thing I intend to do with this, is to make a few videos, use it as a learning tool for my original ideas, and keep it in the confines of my own hard drive.

I have loads of original ideas, and can do my own pixel art, so making original non-copy-right-infringing stuff is going to be easy.

I just wanna see it made, and then maybe (like the kids who hacked and invented Ms. Pacman from an original Pacman game unit), sell the idea myself to Taito.

~Kiyote!
kiyotewolf

Shoot The Skull

Post by kiyotewolf »

I had an idea from WAY back when, and if I had written it, I would've invented Contra, before it was even conceived, or close to it.. kinda.. sorta..

I wanted to make an Apple ][ e side scroller, of something called "Shoot The Skull."

You were in a tropical jungle, running in the river, and skulls would pop out, and you'd have to shoot them, and keep running.

I got the idea from the cover art on the Atari game "Demons To Diamonds." So, you can see my idea came a lil before NES was even there on the scene.

Actually the idea was more of a nightmare fear of evil skulls that shoot lazers that haunted me for quite awhile.

I'm going to make a FB version (and this next part has nothing to do with FB), and make an old DOS version that uses the CGA 16 color glitch (via DOSBOX) to recreate Apple style graphics, using a QBasic DOS game engine. (Yes I've already tested and made Apple style demo graphics with Qbasic.)

~Kiyote!

I did make interactive concept art on my old Apple way back when.
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

I'm going to shoot myself later for posting this but oh well.

"Pyramids of Hanoi"

Towers of Hanoi, but in 2 dimensions.

You have a time limit, and you have to lift & set the discs into a pattern.

You see it in both overhead, in 3D, in side view, etc, whatever it takes to get the user a clear and fast view of the playing field.

~Kiyote!

Credit appreciated, but if not, I don't have to have it.
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

I used to play towers of hanoi over and over using just a stack of coins.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Levelling up is stupid. Overdone. What about skills? One can't use a weapon without first buying a skill and then training it. The higher the skill is trained, the better at the weapon one becomes. They use this idea in EVE online and I far prefer it.

I have been itching to get a game anywhere past started now for a long time, years in fact, but have had a lot of trouble. I even went so far as simplifying my concept to just a text adventure but after a week I was stuck with that.

It comes to a point that my current skill level won't allow me to code anything on my own. I do prefer to do this in a team, but sticking to my storylines and such.

I have many ideas. Many.

I have plastered them all around the community in tha past but I think this has been the killer of it. One infamous one was Orbs of Infinity. Then there was Legend of Aquarius. A less dark game, with a bit of humour and the blooper reel.

The game ideas I jot down now are darker, more sinister, and a $%#@ longer than all the other ones I have ever written.

If you are after an idea, let me know. I'd love to team up.
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

Last edited by kiyotewolf on Dec 23, 2010 1:25, edited 1 time in total.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Perhaps. I'd like to see more of what you have done. Your site is as good as pointless with nothing on it.

But again, I'm bad for that as well.

I'm more into coding and story than images and sounds. Although I like to convey what I think would be full of win.
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

I fully intend to work on a 4 dir scroller, that then goes into the 2.5D scrolling, just like Paperboy.

I made a paper-boy type scroll demo in QB awhile ago, ha ha it's tricky to get right, but I think that having where you scroll right, then up-right, then right, then down-right, then right again, then DOWN, would be epic.

:M
kiyotewolf

Re: Game Concept Idea Thread

Post by kiyotewolf »

I have a neat idea for a PONG side scroller.

You bounce your little bit, (the square pixel which is your ball) on your paddle, and guide it through various holes in the walls, using physics to your advantage.

It could have a normal set height, or an adjustable one, or various heights based on which button is pressed.

If the ball hits an object, it fails to fall back down to the paddle below it, which hovers in the same X position, ready to catch it and bounce it back up again, but if it hits something, it deflects away and gets lost, aka, you died.

~Kiyote!

There are other aspects, but can't think of them atm.
Merick

Post by Merick »

I had this idea a long time ago, but never had the drive to actually do anything with it: A game that alternates between a gradius/lifeforce shooter and a metroid/megaman style platformer.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

in quotation to "levelling up is overdone": i completely agree, and i dislike it with fervor

my game will be like eve, just with blocks =)
TESLACOIL

Post by TESLACOIL »

@ kiyotewolf , Mad idea...and a very good and original one.

lol, im having nightmares just thinking about playing your pong sidescroller game

Prog tutorial dedicated to pong including code
http://as3gametuts.com/2011/08/11/pong-2/#more-99

Im seeing the trad pong elements, except the paddle is horizontal, you can tilt it / \ etc ....i also see that you have to fly your paddle through the obsatcles to reach the ball....eg whack ball through hole in wall, now fast as you can get your paddle through that hole so you can catch the ball before the gravity drops it off the bottom of the screen.

i can see the player bouncing the ball up and down on a flat bat lining up for the big hit to get it over/through the next obstacle.

i can see you clipping the ball with the left edge of the bat by accident and having to run 3 screens back trying to catch it....so funny.

you might have to slow gravity down a tad to give a mere human player a chance cos it just sound like a total brain...k otherwise

other ideas to add to the obstacle course.....antigravity room, windy room , room with magnets ...the last room is a series of counter rotating boxes ( Russian doll style ) and you gotta get your bat and the ball in the center !

all the while you have poing poing poing gadoing sfx according to impacts, this giving you clues to the surface/amount of back spin whatever, the player will need as much feedback as possible becuase the gameplay area on even a large monitor is pretty small and you will need a trad pong sized bat and ball in order for the player to have the kind of fine control they will need
kiyotewolf

Post by kiyotewolf »

@Teslacoil (Telsacoil?)

Ha ha, thanks for your enthusiastic compliment.

NEW IDEA..

Well, Battleship is copyrighted, and they even * cough cough * are making a movie based on the game.. (lame.. lame..)

But, I was thinking today..

Mix chess and Battleship, ...

Set up a line / a cabal of pieces, in a contiguous little clump.. of chess pieces.. say, in a straight line, 4 pawns, and surrounding them, a couple knights, and maybe a rook or two.

Send off a missile towards the bunch of them, or whatever attack means, and they can scatter moving as chess pieces move, but if they move, and go far enough away they fail to touch any more, say a Knight moves up two over one, and it lands off the little group of pieces nestled together, it "dies".. and if it moves, and can avoid the attack, and lands in a spot that still touches the group, it continues to live, or if the group decides it's better for the larger part of the group, to sacrifice that piece, they do.

~Paul

I'll elaborate more later, and try to draw up either plans or an animatic.