Building FreeBASIC on OpenBSD

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Postby counting_pine » Sep 01, 2008 18:25

I haven't seen anyone in this thread actually reacting negatively to the idea. Some people are saying it's impractical, which is largely true. But noone's condemning it.

FBC only has one fully functional backend at the moment (the x86 one), but one for emitting code for GCC is in the works, and it should be possible to add others.
All it needs is for someone who knows what they're doing, and who has the inclination. They'll need to know how to write PPC assembly code, and how to to write an emitter for FBC that will write it.
Unfortunately, I don't think any of the FB developers have a PPC computer, and I don't know if any of us know how to write PPC code.

But I imagine that those of us who familiar with the workings of the emitter (not me) will give help to anyone who wants to attempt one. And perhaps also provide a branch in SVN for work to take place on it.
marcov

Postby marcov » Sep 01, 2008 20:39

Sslaxx wrote:With regards to 3, Marcov, my understanding is that it might be a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation? That said, it may be possible to create a cross-compiler with FreeBASIC, though I have no idea how practical it would be...

Only at first sight. And while it is often thought that changing the language is the big solution it isn't, since makefiles (autoconf) need to be updated, validated for the new target, the runtime library seeded with the right constants targets added to the compiler (in C), deviances in types and libc wrapped etc etc. And most importantly, recognize and fix problems.

None is exactly trivial, and the crosscompiler itself is the least of your worries. With Free Pascal crosscompiling is routinely done by beginners. (but the targets have been prepared in the sources. WinCE is a popular cross- target because, obviously, running any full compiler suite on it is difficult because of size,cpu and memory constraints)

Changing the implementation language on the other hand, is something you have to live with on a daily basis.

It might be a good idea to change the FB implementation language for other reasons (like only be able to get quality contributors that know C++), but crosscompiling is not one of them.

From what I've seen from GPC, the problem is that while C/C++ programmers are more abundant, they are also less likely to work on a foreign language project (and if they do, soon it is indistinguishable from C/C++)
Last edited by marcov on Sep 02, 2008 8:00, edited 1 time in total.
marcov

Postby marcov » Sep 01, 2008 20:43

counting_pine wrote:I don't know if any of us know how to write PPC code.

The CPU manuals are downloadable. IIRC on a IBM site. While I only debugged some lower level RTL routines, if there are questions I could try.

I bought an old powermac for Eur 20, and put Linux on it at the time. When PPC became a proper target, I bought a mini.

An older G3 should be quite affordable. Always buy older 2nd macs with all the memory you need installed, some have funky kinds of memory. SCSI is to be avoided if you can too.
etko

Postby etko » Apr 27, 2009 3:08

I just wanted to report, that I managed to compile current SVN on my X-less OpenBSD server/firewall. There was sligth problem With WITH_X directive, so far FBC is working on simple hello worlds etc.
Mentat

Postby Mentat » Apr 27, 2009 12:37

etko wrote:I just wanted to report, that I managed to compile current SVN on my X-less OpenBSD server/firewall. There was sligth problem With WITH_X directive, so far FBC is working on simple hello worlds etc.

Cool. What language did you use to compile it?
fsw

Postby fsw » Apr 28, 2009 20:27

marcov wrote:3) Compilers not written in itself are typically for toy languages. Apparantly the language is not suitable to write a compiler.

Every time somebody writes a compiler for a new language he/she needs to start somewhere - which would be with an already existing language (machine code anyone?).

At one point in time there will/can/should/could be a compiler rewrite with the newly created language, but sometimes this step does not happen because of certain circumstances.

Programmers should not disregard a programming language as a toy language just because the last step didn't happen (yet).

---

Found this one a while ago:
http://bsdbasic.com
It seems to be another BSD Basic (no files released yet)

fsw
marcov

Postby marcov » Apr 29, 2009 7:13

fsw wrote:
marcov wrote:3) Compilers not written in itself are typically for toy languages. Apparantly the language is not suitable to write a compiler.

Every time somebody writes a compiler for a new language he/she needs to start somewhere - which would be with an already existing language (machine code anyone?).

Sure.

At one point in time there will/can/should/could be a compiler rewrite with the newly created language, but sometimes this step does not happen because of certain circumstances.

That could be. I just want to point out that such circumstances can provoke other circumstances (requiring bi-lingual contributors, and a larger reliance on external testing) that might be negative.

Programmers should not disregard a programming language as a toy language just because the last step didn't happen (yet).

That statement was of course a bit tongue in cheek. (even major commercial compilers are sometimes written in a different language/dialect)

But while it was partially a provoking pun , there is some truth in the fact, specially for open source compilers, that language written in themselves have the advantage that more of the system is tested during the normal development cycle, specially for codegeneration bugs. "The compiler is the best testsuite".
fsw

Postby fsw » Apr 29, 2009 16:26

marcov wrote:..."The compiler is the best testsuite".

I concur 100%

;)
etko

Postby etko » Jun 09, 2009 12:37

Mentat wrote:Cool. What language did you use to compile it?

Is this supposed to be real question? Runtime library is written in C, compiler is written in FB itself. Check out DrV's tutorial for compiling on OpenBSD, it worked for me. It is well written. I would like to see some compiler maintainers looking more into supporting DOS, FreeBSD & OpenBSD targets.
Mentat

Postby Mentat » Jun 09, 2009 12:40

etko wrote:
Mentat wrote:Cool. What language did you use to compile it?

Is this supposed to be real question? Runtime library is written in C, compiler is written in FB itself. Check out DrV's tutorial for compiling on OpenBSD, it worked for me. It is well written. I would like to see some compiler maintainers looking more into supporting DOS, FreeBSD & OpenBSD targets.

I didn't realize how dumb that question was until now. I think I meant version, but then again I don't know what I thought I was thinking.

Alright. Thanks.
commodorejohn

Re: Building FreeBASIC on OpenBSD

Postby commodorejohn » Jul 07, 2014 14:15

I'm currently trying to get FreeBASIC set up on an OpenBSD 5.5 install, but I'm caught in the laughable catch-22 of needing the compiler to compile the compiler. The tutorial for building FreeBASIC linked at the start of the thread has been helpful so far, but unfortunately, it tells me to use the binary of the compiler that I downloaded earlier, except it never told me where to get any such binary, and I can't find one on the FBC Sourceforge page. This is nuts. Can anyone hook me up with a suitable binary?
dkl
Site Admin

Postby dkl » Jul 07, 2014 14:40

There may be a FreeBSD version floating around somewhere... but other than that, you can do this:

1. On OpenBSD, compile FB's rtlib/gfxlib2 using the native C compiler as usual
make rtlib gfxlib2

2. On Linux or Win32, use existing fbc to cross-compile src/compiler/*.bas into OpenBSD-compatible *.asm files
fbc -e -m fbc -target openbsd -r src/compiler/*.bas

3. Take the .asm files to OpenBSD

4. On OpenBSD, assemble them into *.o object files using the native assembler:
for i in src/compiler/*.asm; do
as $i -o `echo $i | sed -e 's/asm$/o/g'`
done

5. On OpenBSD, link everything into the final fbc executable (based on what fbc itself would do for OpenBSD):
ld -o fbc -dynamic-linker /usr/libexec/ld.so -s crt0.o crtbegin.o fbrt0.o src/compiler/*.o "-(" -lfb -lgcc -lpthread -lc -lm -lncurses "-)" crtend.o

Of course, if you have a Linux system and a Linux-to-OpenBSD GCC cross-compiler toolchain, that would make it even easier.
commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Jul 07, 2014 15:39

Well, compiling on Windows and then assembling on BSD worked fine, but when I try to link it tells me "ld: crt0.o: No such file: No such file or directory"...
dkl
Site Admin

Postby dkl » Jul 07, 2014 15:48

You have to insert the proper path to crt0.o on your system - it will be something like /usr/lib/crt0.o or similar, I don't know the specifics for OpenBSD. fbc locates it by running:
gcc -print-file-name=crt0.o

Or use gcc to link (that's easier anyways):
gcc -o fbc fbrt0.o src/compiler/*.o -lfb -lncurses -pthread

However it would still be good to compare gcc -v output against fbc's custom ld invocation to see whether fbc is still doing the right thing for OpenBSD, because it hasn't been tested in years.
commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Jul 07, 2014 16:03

Okay, now it's telling me "ld: cannot find -lfb"...

Return to “Community Discussion”