Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
St_W

Re: Where can I get a Recent-Git-Build of FreeBASIC?

Post by St_W »

I fear the build machine is unavailable at the moment, not sure about the reason, will have to have a look on-site.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

St_W wrote:I fear the build machine is unavailable at the moment, not sure about the reason, will have to have a look on-site.
of course the build machine is in home office :-)

Joshy
fxm

Post by fxm »

I regularly use these daily builds (fbc and manual) to immediately validate and document the various fbc code changes without waiting for the moment of the official release.
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

Isn't this the sort of thing github should be kicking off automatically when new changes are merged? It seems like it already does some sort of build when you make a pull request, and I've definitely seen repos where the builds for each change are saved on appveyor for a month(a random example)

I don't know how to set it up or anything, nor if its actually suitable but if there are issues with the current method, might be worth a look?
St_W

Post by St_W »

adeyblue wrote:Isn't this the sort of thing github should be kicking off automatically when new changes are merged? It seems like it already does some sort of build when you make a pull request, and I've definitely seen repos where the builds for each change are saved on appveyor for a month(a random example)

I don't know how to set it up or anything, nor if its actually suitable but if there are issues with the current method, might be worth a look?
Ideally yes, that's the way to go. I already mentioned several options in some posts earlier in this thread. The thing is that the build environment needed for fbc is not really something standard, so there's no suitable build machine available from the big CI solution providers. We already have automated Linux builds, because there the build-env is rather simple to set up. And of course some exotic things like MS-DOS or *BSD builds can only be cross-compiled at best (if a cross-compiler is available on a supported platform) as no CI solution provider offers those platforms.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Restarted in manual mode?
Because no builds this morning for the last two changes (fbc and manual):
- github #315: set parameters when calling SCREENCONTROL (was broken in fbc 1.08.0 due to new LONG/LONGINT SCREENCONTROL API's)
- ProPgProcedurePointers → fxm [formatted for .chm]
fxm

Post by fxm »

Now it is OK.
Buildings including in addition:
- github #318: duplicate definition for deleting destructor; the deleting destructor was being emitted even though the class was declarations only on the fbc side
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Great! It seems to finally work as intended. Perhaps now using some C++ libraries should be possible
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

angros47 wrote:Great! It seems to finally work as intended. Perhaps now using some C++ libraries should be possible
I have tried before with wxWidget,FLTK, QT, OGRE, IrrLicht, TrueAxis, Tokamak, PhysicsX etc. but on end I have to began from start again with hard coded C wrappers :-(

How do you will hack the missing friend references and solve the missing support for classA extends classB extends classC ?

How ever would be cool to have some working interfaces for high quality open source C++ libraries.

Joshy
angros47

Post by angros47 »

I understand. Last year I tried with FLTK, and got decent results, until I encountered that bug. Actually, there was a workaround (making a dummy method in the declare), but it was better to just wait for the bug fix (in the past, most software were developed using workarounds and tricks like that: that's why old software is sometimes so difficult to port, and emulators have to emulate bugs as well)

Anyway, this issue is not just a problem of FreeBasic. Other OOP languages (besides C++ itself) have the same issues. I think that this page, about the D language, explains it pretty well: https://dlang.org/spec/cpp_interface.html

I think it's not unrealistic for FreeBasic to keep the same level of compatibility
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

The daily builds are not fixed fbc 1.08.0 instead it's 1.09.0 (the dreamer/far away future version runtime written in FreeBASIC) !
That means we have only a 1.07.2 stable version but never get a 1.08.0 stable version right ?

Joshy
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

D.J.Peters wrote:The daily builds are not fixed fbc 1.08.0 instead it's 1.09.0 (the dreamer/far away future version runtime written in FreeBASIC) !
That means we have only a 1.07.2 stable version but never get a 1.08.0 stable version right ?
1.07.3 (full release) fixes 2 bugs from 1.07.2

The bugs reported from 1.08.0 release are being fixed in 1.08.1 (fbc-1.08) and merged in to 1.09.0 (master). Right now, 1.08.1 and 1.09.0 are the same -- other than the version number.
fxm

Post by fxm »

@St_W,

No more builds (https://users.freebasic-portal.de/stw/builds/) for the last changes (fbc and manual).
St_W

Post by St_W »

Thanks for the hint. The Jenkins server crashed due to out-of-memory. Not sure about the reason, but a restart fixed it. Should be up again since last thursday evening.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Thank you.
OK for fbc, but not this last night for the manual (last change not taken into account: 2021-08-01).

[edit] (2021-08-04)
OK now.