Article comparing FreeBASIC to cyBOSS

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
D.J.Peters

Re: Article comparing FreeBASIC to cyBOSS

Post by D.J.Peters »

Compare apples and oranges does not make sense. :-)

Joshy
frisian

Post by frisian »

You worked hard on your program and then it turns out some else can claim copyright over it.
Last edited by frisian on Oct 07, 2014 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

frisian, I don't know where that text came from, but all it's saying is that the P-code generated by a programmer's source code is considered to be a derivative work of that source code.
It's roughly analogous to saying the asm emitted by fbc from a given source code is a derivative of the source code. It's not giving anyone else a copyright claim over your code - it's giving you a copyright claim over the derivative work.

I think given the blog page no longer exists, we can surely say there are no technical flaws about FreeBASIC in it, and we should probably consider this thread as having run its course.
jevans4949

Post by jevans4949 »

Go through to the sales site, and it isn't released for another month. Put your credit card back in your pocket.

"Lightning fast" ... inasmuch as it's all done by electrons,then any software is lightning fast.

And he doesn't have any friends who are lawyers, either.
frisian

Post by frisian »

counting_pine wrote:frisian, I don't know where that text came from, but all it's saying is that the P-code generated by a programmer's source code is considered to be a derivative work of that source code.
It's roughly analogous to saying the asm emitted by fbc from a given source code is a derivative of the source code. It's not giving anyone else a copyright claim over your code - it's giving you a copyright claim over the derivative work.

I think given the blog page no longer exists, we can surely say there are no technical flaws about FreeBASIC in it, and we should probably consider this thread as having run its course.
Goes to show I no lawyer, thanks for the clarification.
JaDogg

Post by JaDogg »

About www.cyboss.org : who created that website ? doesn't even have a favicon.
Does it even support Linux ?
angros47

Post by angros47 »

"This site does not exist within the LDAP database. "
badidea

Post by badidea »

I could be wrong but the cyBOSS thing looks more like some kind of scam to me than a serious product.

No history of the website in the WayBackMachine, seems recently launched. And the 'President' of it is looking for sales people:
http://www.meetup.com/Internet-Marketin ... /47502052/

According to this http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum ... 1#45672839 (which is also a somewhat dubious website, registration required after a few minutes):
The cyBOSS language has many advantages over Python.
But it is not available outside the USA.
And it is high-tech:
Due to export regulations enforced by the United States Department of Commerce, we are only able to ship our high-technology products to geographic locations within the United States of America.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Doesn't mean it's a scam. New companies with products spring up all the time and try their luck in the market. No need to disparage it out of hand. I personally think there's little room in the market for a proprietary BASIC interpreter, but that's only my opinion.
marcov

Post by marcov »

caseih wrote:Doesn't mean it's a scam. New companies with products spring up all the time and try their luck in the market.
I don't think it is a scam either. I think it is simply a one person company trying to resurrect an old product, putting a site based on a presentations and/or other sales oriented pitches online, without much rethinking based on audience. That also explains the lack of practical details, in the presentation they probably were part of a demonstration
No need to disparage it out of hand. I personally think there's little room in the market for a proprietary BASIC interpreter, but that's only my opinion.
It is really hard to be an independent. More and more toolchains like compilers and interpreters are aligned with the vendor of the OS/platform (think Oracle, Microsoft, Apple), which makes them a kind of bundled sells. I think it is hard to really put a general tool against those, regardless of (interpreter, compiler) technology.

IMHO one really needs to identify a submarket to specialize in. (hobby gaming, some upgrade path for an obsolete product, or a market related to some realworld application.)