Any list of softwares made in fb?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

Re: Any list of softwares made in fb?

Post by BasicCoder2 »

It is a .rar file which window 10 could not open.
Downloaded the app RAR Extractor but when I tried to run FreeBasicMiner the images were just blocks of black.
Usually I don't bother downloading anything unless it is a .zip file which always seems to work.
St_W

Post by St_W »

BasicCoder2 wrote:It is a .rar file which window 10 could not open.
Something like 7-zip should be on every PC (or at least on every developer's): http://www.7-zip.org/
Just like a reasonable text editor (like e.g. Notepad++).
caseih

Post by caseih »

I still don't see any reason for people to distribute rar files these days, though. I know the reasons rar was used back in the day but I don't think they hold much water these days. Really there's no reason to not just use zip.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

caseih wrote:I still don't see any reason for people to distribute rar files these days, though. I know the reasons rar was used back in the day but I don't think they hold much water these days. Really there's no reason to not just use zip.
RAR format advantages are better compression ratio than ZIP, built-in strong encryption, and error recovery capabilities with optional use of recovery records.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I used 7-Zip for many years then a UK magazine did a survey and recommended PeaZip. I had a look at it and have been using it ever since. It caters for over 180 file formats and does a bit more than just zipping/unzipping with quite a few useful file tools. It is free and there is both a Windows version and Linux version.
St_W

Post by St_W »

deltarho[1859] wrote:I used 7-Zip for many years then a UK magazine did a survey and recommended PeaZip. I had a look at it and have been using it ever since. It caters for over 180 file formats and does a bit more than just zipping/unzipping with quite a few useful file tools. It is free and there is both a Windows version and Linux version.
PeaZip is more or less an alternative UI for 7-zip and uses 7-zip internally for doing all its compression/decompression work. However, PeaZip supports more formats than 7-Zip because it additionally uses other compression tools internally for supporting further formats. I tried it once but didn't really like it - it didn't seem that reliable and stable back then, but that may have changed.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

St_W wrote:
BasicCoder2 wrote:It is a .rar file which window 10 could not open.
Something like 7-zip should be on every PC (or at least on every developer's): http://www.7-zip.org/
Just like a reasonable text editor (like e.g. Notepad++).
When first I doubled clicked FreeBasicMiner an error message appeared saying,
C:\7Zip is unavailable.
So googled 7Zip and came up with the same site you mentioned.
However after I downloaded the software the message still kept appearing saying it couldn't find 7-zip.
So I then downloaded Window's suggested app RAR extractor which seemed to work except when I ran FreeBasicMiner the images were just black rectangles.
I checked and found the images have been extracted into a folder.
When I loaded the FreeBasic source code into FBIDE and chose compile & run a window appeared with a progress bar with the text "Carregando FreeBasic Minor..." and froze 95% of the way through.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Roland Chastain wrote: One of the best FB programs I know is FreeBasic Miner. My children play with it since years. :)
A remake of the unforgettable manic miner ? :) For some reason this game was so addictive!

@Roland Chastain, I started a 5000 code lines chess program in FB this last year. Since 3 monthes I had no more time to go further. The thing started to be a little lengthy. What makes my version lengthy is mostly the interface and some use of the OOP with a lot of what I would call structural bricks (types deriving from types and so on). Then what makes all of this long also is my extensive use of 64 bits Bitmaps for the coding of the analysis system. However, it's an original concept overall for a few reason and I'm quite proud of it. I can't make any decision about what to do now with this packet :) What's your opinion as an chess programmer expert?

This is not out of the topic because I'm sure that if finished it could stand at some open source directory (it's 100% FB, and it's coded in 100% OOP style also). My real concern in fact is, what if I really can't find time to complete the version 0.1?
caseih

Post by caseih »

Imortis wrote:RAR format advantages are better compression ratio than ZIP, built-in strong encryption, and error recovery capabilities with optional use of recovery records.
None of those are that big of advantages in my mind. ZIP is like mp3. It's good enough (tm), implementable by *anyone* and is a de facto standard across industries. And I can already use other tools in conjunction with zip, or bzip2 or tar and get the same advantages.

And of course RAR's is a closed, proprietary format. Uncompressors can be made for it, but not compressors. I don't like being beholden to anyone for commodity stuff like this.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

caseih wrote: And of course RAR's is a closed, proprietary format. Uncompressors can be made for it, but not compressors. I don't like being beholden to anyone for commodity stuff like this.
Zip is cool. You have PKzip and all good stuff everywhere for it. But I still have a ten years old version of winrar (if not older), that I love, and that made feel all right with the RAR format.
sancho2

Post by sancho2 »

ZIP is like mp3. It's good enough
This is a bad analogy as MP3 is only popular. It is not "good enough". An explanation is way off topic so I'll leave it at that.
@ST.W.: I missunderstood what you wrote. I get it now
stephanbrunker

Post by stephanbrunker »

The most common problem when writing new software is that there is an existing solution for almost every situation. I found a niche with an thread calculator for Mach3 (CNC Solution) where really nothing existed and I needed one. But its not a big niche: 500 downloads this year. The same is true for my actual project: 15 years ago, there was a Software called "KEN" which was an all-in-one software router/firewall, ISDN, Fax and email server which was for 32-bit systems only and development stopped 10 years ago. Now I have to replace that server and I got it all covered except the email server which had a nice system tray app which showed you incoming mails before you downloaded them. hMailServer can replace the mailserver part, and now I'm writing the tray app myself. Thanks to vbVariant, I can use the COM-Interface of hMailServer quite easily.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Roland Chastain wrote:Hello! Yes, it would be a good idea to make an updated list of favourite FB software.
One of the best FB programs I know is FreeBasic Miner. My children play with it since years. :)
My wife spends a lot of spare time playing games on her mobile phone. The current one is something called card golf.
Found a .zip source that downloads without any virus or maleware warnings and works when run.
http://games.freebasic.net/BASICGaming/Issue2/#review1
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

stephanbrunker wrote:The most common problem when writing new software is that there is an existing solution for almost every situation.
The reason for me to browse sf is too look at what will be a program made in this or this language that solves this or that problem.
I often tried to see if I could get inspired with C++ work, but no, it's too hard to read. I generally make my opinion on languages by browsing SF and downloading sources , sometimes without even running anything compiled.
So my initial remark. It's not possible to do this kind of evaluation with FB , at least from this popular browser. It's possibly a part of the cause why the overall users is not basically high. After all FB is easy to use, and it really works! More, it is far much readable than C++ and java...

If of course the project is also a niche, this is only better. I don't think that this is absolutely necessary here. We could have a niche already for FB however, if we were more users trying to convert good old basic programs.FB is perfectly suitable for this.
Provoni

Post by Provoni »

AZdecrypt, my decryption software for classical ciphers: http://www.zodiackillersite.com/viewtop ... =81&t=3198

I am but a novice programmer at best but have gotten around through the years with help from the FreeBASIC community (especially fxm). It features fully multi-threaded (automatic) solver modules for homophonic substitution, transposition, vigenére, aperiodical polyalphabetism and more.