my best effort

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
owen

Re: my best effort

Post by owen »

I don't agree, however, that throwing away formal learning approaches is a good idea.
I think it is ok to learn from those with or without credentials.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@owen,
Not having any use for a computer aided design tool (CAD) I never really took much notice of your project in the past but decided to download it for a look see.
By the way what does the CAM part stand for? I am not very good at remembering acronyms (or remembering much at all).
I have to admire your tenacity to stick to one project for such a long time. Reminds me of Gablea and his POS program or ecxjoe and his Toad On Fire game.
All I can do is congratulate you on your progress so far and wish you well with your ideas on sharing your interests with others and will be interested to see where it all takes you.
owen

Post by owen »

thank you basiccoder and everybody here in this most excellent community.
i am excited at the moment because we have our first guest speaker coming into the office today.
he will be teaching them about freebasic for 3 days.
the (ad hoc but legally licensed) company is putting him up in a nearby hotel.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

owen wrote:i am excited at the moment because we have our first guest speaker coming into the office today.
I will make a point of checking your web site to see how it went.

With regards to adding 3d I assume you could draw this rocket with your cadcam tool?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25989&hilit
As you can see it is not hard to make a simple 3D representation.
owen

Post by owen »

I think 3d for this project is something to think about in the near future.
But for now I restrict it to 2d intentionally because 3d is hard to grasp both from a user and (new) programmer perspective.
Try search some of my posts in this forum regarding my attempt at 3d. I came up with my own solution in a way that would not be thought of as something worth propagating. Search for posts containing 2d to 3d projection or something like that.

ps the cam part of fbcadcam does not exist yet. i think cam is about computer aided machining. the output of a cam file from fbcadcam will be a text file containing gcode.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

owen wrote:Try search some of my posts in this forum regarding my attempt at 3d. I came up with my own solution in a way that would not be thought of as something worth propagating. Search for posts containing 2d to 3d projection or something like that.
Indeed you have. I must have missed the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6979&start=15
owen

Post by owen »

owen

Post by owen »

owen

Post by owen »

im just a truck driver.
while im home in Florida with the trailer in the shop i coordinate the effort of teaching people how to program in the Philippines.
of course im in over my head financially regarding this idea.
i might (will) have to do a gofundme or something...

i thank john (mr. manila) for his assistance
cant wait for mr. cebu to make an appearance
andykmv

Post by andykmv »

i applaud your effort!

many many moons and years ago i did some sessional teaching to instruct factory workers about using computers, communications and automated machine control basics - the students were a mix of mostly migrant workers of in their 20's-40's and while there was a formal curriculum and assessment process i had to draw on experience and be innovative to find ways to present concepts and topics in ways they could relate to in everyday life to help them acquire the knowledge whilst moving along in the right direction to help improve their ability to use computers in the workplace.

"you 'splain good!" was a very heartening comment from an elderly female migrant factory worker because it means i was getting through and they got value from the sessions and the course.

sounds to me like you have some willing students and are facing an interesting challenge in innovative ways! keep your eye on the goal posts and the importance of numeracy skills too and keep up the good work with fb.
owen

Post by owen »

thanks andy

mr. manila is running around the group maintaining several simultaneous conversations as he attempts to teach individuals who are at various levels of understanding. its much more then the norm. its about as real as it gets.

good job john
owen

Post by owen »

owen

Post by owen »

owen

Post by owen »

promise thats the last pics in here dont want to over extend my stay ifn u know what i mean.
i will put the rest on fbcadcam site
this idea (project) was setup in less then a months time.
owen

Post by owen »