Would anyone find a FreeBASIC vs JavaScript side-by-side series useful (+is it allowed here)?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
anonymous1337

Re: Would anyone find a FreeBASIC vs JavaScript side-by-side series useful (+is it allowed here)?

Post by anonymous1337 »

I'm just going to reply to people who give actual feedback on the question / contents of the thread. If you think a JavaScript vs FreeBASIC side-by-side series would be useful, let me know. If not, let me know.
MrSwiss

Re: Would anyone find a FreeBASIC vs JavaScript side-by-side series useful (+is it allowed here)?

Post by MrSwiss »

This is an answer, to your question: NO (get out, it's: OFF TOPIC)

In case you've not noticed:
I consider it a: divide and conquer attempt (to use gaming language)!
(Like Lachie D. with FBGD, tried to do. Please, don't bother to answer.)
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Okay, well thank you for sharing your opinion MrSwiss.

Worth noting that Lachie's been contributing to the QBASIC/FreeBASIC community since like the early 2000's. He's one of the most respected game devs here and QBASIC has a long history of game development. You might not know this though having just joined the community in 2013, which is right around the time when most of the people who actually cared about the original community had started to leave.

We used to have a BASIC Gaming eZine, http://www.petesqbsite.com/, and Lachie and I used to collab on http://games.freebasic.net/ notice the subdomain. I respect your right to have an opinion, but 1) It's not representative of everyone, especially the people in this thread who have told me they WOULD appreciate such an effort, and 2) I think there's some context you're missing. You're dissing someone who I've looked up to since like the early 2000's when I was still a kid.

One reason I made this thread was I'd hope mods would respond and give their approval / disapproval, since that will ultimately decide whether the series will be able to be posted in Community Discussion or Projects. Now I feel like they might disapprove regardless of the people who want this to happen simply because they don't want to deal with people who suffer persistent irritation from the weeds stuck in between their butt cheeks.
Last edited by anonymous1337 on Oct 08, 2018 17:29, edited 2 times in total.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

marcov wrote:But if I'm mistaken, and that is allowed, I'll be happy to do a very expansive pascal comparison too :-)
Personally, I'd vote in favor of that. For two reasons.

1) Pascal is a cool language, although not as popular as JavaScript. I'm sure some people would benefit. It might show us where certain features or frameworks are lacking in FB that we can work toward filling.

2) Speaking of off topic, I'm not sure I've ever seen you write a single line of FreeBASIC code, yet you've been posting here for years (as well as bugging community members, including v1ctor, about their opinions or features of FB). This might let you contribute something FB-related for once.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

MrSwiss wrote:This is an answer, to your question: NO (get out, it's: OFF TOPIC)

In case you've not noticed:
I consider it a: divide and conquer attempt (to use gaming language)!
(Like Lachie D. with FBGD, tried to do. Please, don't bother to answer.)

Like, WTF dude?
Josep Roca

Post by Josep Roca »

If the question is "Are you interested in using JS instead of FB?", my answer is not. If the question was "Are you interested in using JS with FB?", then the my answer would be yes.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

I am of the same opinion as StW on this one. I feel like it could be good because having multiple tools in your toolbox makes you a better programmer in general. I know JS pretty well as I use it extensively with my current job, so I would be less interested in that exact language, but something on pascal might be interesting.

I also agree with MrSwiss a bit (not entirely) in that it is kind of out of place on the forum here. I do still have the old "Back2BASIC" site and would be glad to host such things there is anyone wants to do that.

If mods decide that it should be allowed, then I am A-OK with that.
marcov

Post by marcov »

anonymous1337 wrote:
marcov wrote:But if I'm mistaken, and that is allowed, I'll be happy to do a very expansive pascal comparison too :-)
Personally, I'd vote in favor of that. For two reasons.

1) Pascal is a cool language, although not as popular as JavaScript. I'm sure some people would benefit. It might show us where certain features or frameworks are lacking in FB that we can work toward filling.
Then read the existing posts. Most notably the 3 series posts of Munair for a RAD.

I agree with Paul Doe that there are not enough frameworks, and indeed pointing to some C header is no substitute. It makes FB seem toothless.

Basically the only framework is fbgfx. What frameworks you need depends on what kind of apps you target;

For business, the primary option are gui (see Munair discussion) and database abstractions. More utility libraries for managing formats like base64, XML, ini json, zlib, zip, tar formats are already needed for that.

Database abstraction is mostly to reduce the amount of work of changing a database (it would be already nice if only the simple dialogs/functionality is db type indepedent), as well as dealing with the fact that a database is runtime typed with a runtime charset.
anonymous1337 wrote: 2) Speaking of off topic, I'm not sure I've ever seen you write a single line of FreeBASIC code, yet you've been posting here for years (as well as bugging community members, including v1ctor, about their opinions or features of FB). This might let you contribute something FB-related for once.
So if I did post a short few graphics demo and babble on some microbenchmarks I'm off the hook? Does that count more than e.g. discussion a RAD.

p.s. I helped on IRC for a while, and remember working an expression evaluator and the two attempts at a freebsd port (pre gen gcc). I was also active in the runtime in basic thread.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

anonymous1337 wrote:
BasicCoder2 wrote:
dafhi wrote:JavaScript had been on my mind before your initial post .. i would enjoy a 'comparison' of sorts :-)
If you google "writing games with Javascript" you can make your own comparison, perhaps by writing a FreeBASIC version of the demo games.
This is definitely an option. Do you have any links you think are interesting?
How about using your FB and JS skills to write a FreeBASIC version of this simple game for comparison?
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... JavaScript
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

BasicCoder2 wrote:How about using your FB and JS skills to write a FreeBASIC version of this simple game for comparison?
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... JavaScript
Indeed. Here's another one, which is one of my favorite games of all time:
JavaScript Gauntlet

There's even some articles and a post-mortem about its development that are quite good reads. The source code can be found here.