Unable to access fb.net forums

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
deltarho[1859]

Re: Unable to access fb.net forums

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Yeah, I couldn't get through either, but we are back to a tranquil state again. The oscillating is odd unless the offending machine is rotating several target sites and cannot handle a sustained attack on all simultaneously.
srvaldez wrote:but this forum was not the only victim, other sites had problems also.
Which other sites are those?
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

other basic forums but not as severe as this forum, also I was unable to download notepad++ 7.8.1 from the main site, don't know the reason, but with all the cyber attacks going on it wouldn't surprise me if that site is under attack also, I was able to download a copy from softpedia.com
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

From my perspective the forums have been down twice today so either our 'friend' did not take a blind bit of notice of what I wrote or did not read it.

@Lost Zergling

The reason why I could not answer you publicly was because I deliberately wrote my 'reaching out' post using diplomacy and psychology. I was, in fact, very nearly choking on every word but no way could I tell you that if there was a chance that my deception would work. I accepted both your 1) and 2) comments but, obviously, could not say so. I kept up with my deception in my 'Woke up gasping for a cup of tea,' post.

I was a little abrupt with you but I had to shut you up quickly.

You may think that was extremely underhanded of me but, quite frankly, our 'friend' does not deserve any better, the little s**t.
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

@delta - i myself have a problem with judgemental thoughts. i appreciated your 'reaching out' post to put my 'ideal me' into perspective
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

A hour ago freebasic.net worked but forum and wiki I got timeout's again.

Joshy
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

@deltarho. I understand your try and I take note of your answer. I did not want to be irrespectfull toward anyone. We share the same will to defend our space of freedom.
Juergen Kuehlwein

Post by Juergen Kuehlwein »

For me it was down again the last two hours or so.

JK
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Hi, Juergen

We have been under attack for a while now and, it seems, the attacker gets a buzz out of reading our response but to do that they must stop attacking us otherwise they cannot get through. They have called by a few times today.

Any normal person should have got bored by now so it looks like our attacker has a very limited IQ other than their ability to attack websites.
badidea

Post by badidea »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Hi, Juergen

We have been under attack for a while now and, it seems, the attacker gets a buzz out of reading our response but to do that they must stop attacking us otherwise they cannot get through. They have called by a few times today.

Any normal person should have got bored by now so it looks like our attacker has a very limited IQ other than their ability to attack websites.
I think that you draw a lot of conclusions form very limited data. I would sooner expect a bot-net that attacks multiple (phpBB) sites looking for links between users names, md5-hashes, e-mail and other personal data. I doubt that the 'hacker(s)' controlling the bot-net care (a ...) what we write here.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

badidea wrote:I think that you draw a lot of conclusions form very limited data.
It is deliberate. If I am wrong then I am wasting my time, if I am right then I'm not. Image
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

removed by admin (jeff)
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

I am more disturbed by the not-so-deliberate incorrect use of commas ;-)

I got a new one, two minutes ago (now at jj+MrSwiss+2 guests):
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

removed by admin (jeff)
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Sorry boys, no patience for diplomacy today.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

The 403 - Forbidden jj2007 saw yesterday was due to a filter I added yesterday. I was testing it for like 2 seconds and he just happened to get it. We were getting hammered with traffic. Since then there have been changes in the attackers tactics and I've been fighting off the assault all day.

However, there's quite a few steps for a brand new user to go through just to get at the member list, and even if they got to it, it doesn't publish email addresses anyway. And they can't spam the forum as posts need approval.

I'm trying to keep the store open for business. Besides, I can collect a lot more data on our attackers that way. If it really becomes a pain, there are stronger counter measures yet that we can take.