Unable to access fb.net forums

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
fxm

Re: Unable to access fb.net forums

Post by fxm »

It's still strange this variation in the total number of online users of about +/-200 in a few minutes:
humans or robots for the most part?

Response time to access a post between 1 and 20 seconds depending on the moment (around 16:00, French time, I had very long access times).
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I don't think that we have a DDOS attack - botnets are usually much larger, my guess is an attack from a singe computer.

StatCounter have a 30-day free trial. I am not sure that it would be much help, but we have nothing to lose by giving it a go.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

A short technical analysis (so far), on Server Error 500 (Internal Server Error):
NOT a typical DDoS/DoS because, those typically attack the low level I/O system, of the Server.

Proof:
  • Ping statistics didn't change notably (about 150 mS, here)
  • Home Page (freebasic.net/default.*) loaded, as fast as ever
Therefore, Imortis seems to be on the right track.
The attack/problem is most likely on the Application level. Both forum and wiki are affected.

Additional observation:
Last working week (before the week end) the SQL-server experienced a problem, too.
Both forum and wiki where unreachable (503 Server Error 'SQL'):
angros47

Post by angros47 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:This sounds like a DOS attack but I doubt that cyber-criminals are involved otherwise they would have brought the site down in August with a demand for a bitcoin payment and there are better targets than peer support forums where the product is free.
The only things that comes in my mind is perhaps some user that got banned and is looking for revenge, or some wannabe cracker that is trying his attack on what he considers an easy target.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I use 'Tab Auto Refresh' in Firefox. If I am in conversation with someone I don't wait to get emails I set the refresh rate to 60 seconds. When the conversation is over I set the refresh rate to zero.

I set the refresh rate to 5 seconds and noted the 'In total there are <nnn> users online' value and got this on a few following refreshes.

The total increased by at least three for each refresh.

I had another go and got this:

I don't believe those figures but what are they telling us?

I wouldn't have thought a DOS attack would behave like that.

A server reboot might help. <grasping at straws>
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

The guests are spread roughly evenly through the 13 threads.
It wouldn't be too hard to set up a computer to constantly call each of these addresses in a loop, text only internet calls perhaps, then kill these calls in a cycle.
It could be one person.
But they are very persistent (months now), which seems to suggest otherwise.
marcov

Post by marcov »

As said in another thread, since august forum spammers have been particularly busy. At FPC we had also problems (early august), but we use SMF.

If FB has somehow customized the registration process, it might be that the bots simply fail to register, but still are trying and doing their rounds. Or maybe they are enumerating profiles to see if they contain hints for pwds (but that would also yield bulks of failed logins)

IIRC one of the admins polished our fail2ban ban filter install for this, and made some custom bans like loading a certain page too often.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Who hosts freebasic.net?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I have just tried my 'Tab Auto Refresh' again, every five seconds, and got

The question is: Who has done what?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

It has started again.

It started again bang on 10 am - I'm in the UK. Application issue? Maybe not. A single computer in the US, which was turned off overnight, maybe.

Added: Block US IP addresses for 10 minutes and see what happens. Image

Scrub that. I use a VPN and my IPv4 is not where I am, so our 'friend' could be in the far east using a US IP. So, what does 10 am tell us now? <grasping at straws again>.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Only the number of Registered+Hidden users are members that have actually logged in. The number of guests are the number of unique IP's seen and can't be trusted to be anything meaningful. 100+ unique IP's every minute, creating dozens of page requests every second. I'm reluctant to report what I know about the attacker or what the counter measure plan is here in the open because last thing I want to do is give the attacker pointers for improvement.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

The figures have dropped again and are fairly steady. Someone is reading this thread and is now 'taking the mickey'.
I'm reluctant to report what I know about the attacker or what the counter measure plan is here in the open
No one will argue with that and I will stop 'playing around' - good luck.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

No registered users and 35 guests
Hey, I am a registered user!!!
badidea

Post by badidea »

The community board at phpBB (itself) also a large number of visitors recently (August).
With a maximum of 27085 users online, but with a 90 minute window.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2524746
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

@coderJeff : sounds as a good job. I like "our" Fb forum. Thank you. :-)