Is there any gui designer for freebasic on linux?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
nov79

Is there any gui designer for freebasic on linux?

Post by nov79 »

I really miss the gui designer. I know they're just resource editor so they're only available on windows :(
oyster

Re: Is there any gui designer for freebasic on linux?

Post by oyster »

I don't know
but the answer depends on what GUI library you are using
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

If you miss it so much write one and share it with us ;-)

I prever FLTK-C not GTK or wxWidgets not because I wrote the wrapper for FreeBASIC instead I like the small size of the fltk-c library :-)

But it's up to you choosing the right GUI and create a nice designer for it.

Joshy
Boris the Old

Post by Boris the Old »

@nov79

You might try executing your Windows Designer/IDE on Linux by using Wine. Here's how I do it with the PowerBASIC IDE.

Set up a desktop shortcut with a command line similar to: wine H:\\PBWin10\\bin\\PBEDIT.EXE

Linux passes the double backslash to Wine as a single backslash.

I have successfully used the PowerBASIC IDE with Wine, although I tend to work the other way round. I use the Linux version of Geany for doing all my Windows development, and execute the PowerBASIC compiler from within Geany. It's a very simple process.

Rod
badidea

Post by badidea »

For FLTK, there is FLUID
For GTK, there is Glade
But as far as I know, there is no easy way to use those with freebasic, some tools have been made:
* GladeToBac (Glade to FreeBasic code sketcher)
* Semi-automatic generation of FB program from glade 2 files
* Fluid + Fluid4Fb : GUI code for Fltk (Window-Linux)
I have never tested those tools.
Kuan Hsu

Post by Kuan Hsu »

VisualFBEditor - IDE for FreeBasic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27284
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

And there is of course, the good old and trusted: FBEdit (with included resource editor)!
(just make sure to get version: 1.0.7.6c, earlier builds may crash)

Download (german FB site): https://www.freebasic-portal.de/downloads/ides-fuer-freebasic/fbedit-ide-30.html

Obviously, Windows only. But may run under WINE (not tested).
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Post by Xusinboy Bekchanov »

There is also: Visual WX-C Designer viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17911&start=30
oyster

Post by oyster »

for iup, which is a crossing-platform gui library, you do not need to tell the parent control on which the new control is created. this is very useful if you have not decide your gui layout so you can rearrange your layout easily.

and iup uses a kind of box(mainly vbox/hbox) to place your control. you don't need to tell the coordinations where to place your control and the size of your control. your controls take the space of the box even when you resize your app window. though I don't know how to, for example, set a button has 1/3 width of the box.

so in one word, even there is no gui designer, we can create the layout quickly.

there are too many gui libraries. but I think it is better to choose a mature and in active development one, or you just want to some simple functions, for example, windows, button.

last, I still want to say, wNim, who re-binds windows' API with autolayout DSL by using visual format language, is a real pretty solution, and is easy for user. I do hope it is implemented in many languages other than swift/javascript.

p. s. I am not a programmer, I don't have enough knowledge and time to read thick books to finish duties in my daily work or living