fbfrog is unmaintained, so what is the current supported tool to translate C header?

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
systemctl

fbfrog is unmaintained, so what is the current supported tool to translate C header?

Postby systemctl » May 02, 2020 18:24

Free Pascal has h2pas. Even if it quality is like sh*t it still considered as current and still being developed. We have excellent tools like fbfrog but no one maintain it anymore. So do we have any plan for these tools or just keep them dead as is?
Lost Zergling

Re: fbfrog is unmaintained, so what is the current supported tool to translate C header?

Postby Lost Zergling » May 02, 2020 20:58

Hello systemclt ! (me again) I may surprise you, but I was waiting for this post, really. It was totally in logical continuity. I had noted in a corner the importance of the limitations of fbfrog. Back on track :
I don't want to be the bad guy here but I'm afraid I have to agree with marcov. Most of the FreeBASIC users there only care about developing small old school games or animations, some migrated from commercial BASIC variants tend to care more about GUI development but overall they don't use it as a professional tool but a hobbyist toy. They don't use it for serious jobs so the language can't reach it full potential. BTW, I have almost done translating the Ulfius library headers to FreeBASIC. Now we could do web development with FreeBASIC, too. But so far no one really care.

I believe that people take care of it (even if they don't use it a priori), but that necessarily requires long-term work, time to proof of concept (ie quid windows platforms, and so on), not just testing. Then it would not be sufficient, you may have to popularize it either.
Sometimes I agree marcov's point of view, but sometimes I find it difficult to follow his reasoning, so I try to keep my distance. Courageous Zergling, but not oblivious. It is normal that codes with professional or scientific vocations are not widely disclosed. I neither approve nor disapprove of his position, I just make my way. Therefore, it is possible that lots of professional projects are not visible. In addition, some "hobbyists" have a technical level which impresses and with the aim of promoting the language, these knowledges could bring a lot more, but you say it differently.
The next project that attracts me, in the distant future (decades), would be, perhaps, to study how to popularize an "original generic expert system", starting from theory.
TeeEmCee

Re: fbfrog is unmaintained, so what is the current supported tool to translate C header?

Postby TeeEmCee » May 04, 2020 11:55

fbfrog is an amazing tool. Who cares if it's unmaintained if it's already close to perfect? C evolves very slowly, so fbfrog doesn't need to change any faster.

I do release fbfrog has a todo list, no piece of software is complete.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Postby Xusinboy Bekchanov » May 04, 2020 12:46

So you can compile on Android and MacOS, right?
caseih

Postby caseih » May 04, 2020 13:51

Sure, if you had a working FB compiler on those platforms, you could build fbfrog natively there. It's a pure FB program after all.

fbfrog is just a header translator. It doesn't care what platform the header files it is parsing comes from. Could parse a windows library's .h files on Linux if you want. Doesn't matter.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Postby Xusinboy Bekchanov » May 04, 2020 14:16

caseih wrote:Sure, if you had a working FB compiler on those platforms, you could build fbfrog natively there. It's a pure FB program after all.

fbfrog is just a header translator. It doesn't care what platform the header files it is parsing comes from. Could parse a windows library's .h files on Linux if you want. Doesn't matter.

I made a mistake on the topic, I wanted to write on clang.
systemctl

Postby systemctl » May 04, 2020 15:26

TeeEmCee wrote:fbfrog is an amazing tool. Who cares if it's unmaintained if it's already close to perfect? C evolves very slowly, so fbfrog doesn't need to change any faster.

I do release fbfrog has a todo list, no piece of software is complete.

No. It defintely needs improvements. It's far better than Free Pascal's h2pas sh*t but it failed with most of the headers I tried.
TeeEmCee

Postby TeeEmCee » May 04, 2020 15:39

Failed in cases that it didn't need to? (E.g. IIRC it ignores some common GCC function attributes but not all that are safe to ignore)
caseih

Postby caseih » May 04, 2020 18:20

Translating headers is hard. Partly because of complicated type definitions in C and partly because there's actually two full languages that have to be translated at once: the c preprocessor language and C itself. And the result of the preprocessor depends greatly on the environment in which it is run.

Return to “Community Discussion”