Windows 10 May 2020 Update

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
deltarho[1859]

Windows 10 May 2020 Update

Post by deltarho[1859] »

The May 2020 update is turning out to be a disaster area: Windows 10 May 2020 Update biggest problems and complaints

One guy at PowerBASIC wrote:
Total nightmare for me. Good thing I cloned the drive before updating.
He then prepared his system as best he could disabling all startup options, for example, and had another try but came back with "2004 not correctly working with everything. Back to Windows 1909...."

There is an issue with some Nvidia drivers, including mine, and I had to restore my latest full system backup.

The update is being rolled out so many of you may not have been invited to install V2004 yet. Many are advising to not install V2004 until it is stable, whenever that is. We can pause updates for up to 35 days but that will pause all updates including any security patches to your current version.

From V1803 with Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise there has been a registry hack which will pause a features update but still allow other updates to our current version.

I have edited my registry and exported the edit to a reg file. The link below will get you 'StayWith1909.zip'. Right click on the reg file and choose Merge from the context menu. This will pause the May 2020 update indefinitely but will allow updates to V1909.

I will update to V2004 when it is reckoned safe to do so. There are no new features which I particularly want but there are some new security features which are worth having and will not be added to V1909.

StayWith1909.zip

Added: Some at PowerBASIC seem to have had successful updates to V2004 and, no doubt, many people will not have issues. There are ways to 'roll back' if a failure but can they be trusted with a corrupted version? My advice is if you don't have a full system backup then do not chance it, for a while yet.
UEZ

Re: Windows 10 May 2020 Update

Post by UEZ »

I was not able to update via Windows Update. Always the same error message which I don't remember yet.
What I did was to upgrade using the ISO image and an usb drive (upgrade installation). Everything so far is working properly and all applications are working properly.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I see for a few days that this 2004 version is offered to me optionally in the Windows Update menu, but as usual for new versions, I wait a few months for stabilization before applying it (probably this autumn).
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

Nothing new under the sun:
M$ is still (always did it) using its userbase, as beta testers ...

Btw: those that haven't taken control of their OS themselfs by now,
by wresting it forcefully back from M$, can only be pityed.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Extract from https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... 20-update/:
Beginning today, the May 2020 Update is available for customers who would like to install this latest release. If you are ready to install the update, open your Windows Update settings (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update) and select Check for updates. Once the update appears, you can select Download and install.
Obviously, I did not select "Download and install", and I would wait a few months as I did for the 1909 version (which I actually installed in February 2020).
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Any computer expert will tell us that the top priority is to install all available security patches whether that be for third-party software or Windows. To block security updates from Microsoft is like someone who should be in self-isolation with covid-19 but is walking around the streets as if they were in rude health.

I use 'Spybot Anti-Beacon' and 'O&O ShutUp10' to stop my machine 'talking' to Microsoft. I DO NOT normally block updates - except on this occasion, but I am still allowing updates to 1909, which is the most secure Windows 10 to date before V2004.

Added: As for pitying people I pity those who do not do a full system backup regularly. I do one every day and the next is due in about 20 minutes time - it only takes 3m:18s, internal SSD to external SSD, and if it were not for the notification it has started I wouldn't notice that it was being executed.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Maybe operating systems are just completed? Nothing left to improve? The programmers can only change stuff in a way that the average user thinks that it is new and thus better? Like shampoo? Just label is as new with improved formula a few times a year and change the look and shape of the bottle.
I have now Ubuntu 10.04 (2010) and Ubuntu Mate 20.04 (2020) on one machine. There are some improvements, but it is mostly the same.
On dark Windows side, we had Windows 7 in 2010 and now Windows 10. Maybe some improvements, but mostly deterioration it seems.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Since Windows version 1809, do not install the next version immediately does not prevent to continue to apply the updates of the previous version, and this for many months (about 9 months) before Windows Update alerts on the need to install the new version.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

... and why my StayWith1909.reg works. 1909 will still get updates but 2004 will not be offered.

Re badidea's last post.

I don't think that Windows 10 has had one feature added since its launch nearly five years ago that I could not easily live without. However, the security updates are a different kettle of fish. Malware has grown exponentially in the last few years, showing no signs of slowing down, and Microsoft must have a job and a half keeping up with it. It is a bit like the various police forces around the world. We moan about ours in the UK but one thing is for sure - we wouldn't last five minutes without them.

What I would like is an 'opt in/opt out' on new features and a definite 'opt in' for security patches.
marcov

Post by marcov »

Two very important recent features of the last two years:

- manifest to switch the default encoding (for -A winapi calls) to UTF8
- manifest to lift the 260 char limit on filenames for the -A calls, and the need to escape with \\.\ for the -W calls.

utf8 support in the terminal is also being worked on.
badidea

Post by badidea »

deltarho[1859] wrote:I don't think that Windows 10 has had one feature added since its launch nearly five years ago that I could not easily live without. However, the security updates are a different kettle of fish. Malware has grown exponentially in the last few years, showing no signs of slowing down, and Microsoft must have a job and a half keeping up with it. It is a bit like the various police forces around the world. We moan about ours in the UK but one thing is for sure - we wouldn't last five minutes without them.

What I would like is an 'opt in/opt out' on new features and a definite 'opt in' for security patches.
But how much of the patches are for all the nonsense that they introduce? Every Windows 10 PC at work has a dozen obscure programs in the 'start menu' that all want to connect 'the cloud' and that no-one uses. Make all those nonsense (cannot look up examples at the moment) optional and the system is probably much safer already. And the start-menu would look much cleaner. And updating process does not take hours.

Like .bas files, it seems that .py files are now also blocked as email attachments. Why? What is so dangerous about emailing source code? There are a lot of choices made, that I do not understand. Hide file extensions? Great, now you don't know whats is executable and what is not. System settings: One ever growing big mess. How does that help to make a system safer? Everything gets hidden form the user, the user makes errors because of it, and Microsoft makes some 'smart' way to protect the 'dumb' user, obscuring everything more and more.
Last edited by badidea on Jul 01, 2020 21:43, edited 2 times in total.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@badidea

You made some good points there.
badidea

Post by badidea »

deltarho[1859] wrote:@badidea

You made some good points there.
BTW, it also applies to other things like phones, cars, etc. People want smart light switches. And then the lights get hacked. And the light switch software gets security updates... I prefer to flip a mechanical switch.

The question is: Do people really want 'smart' switches? Or is their some smart marketing going on to get people to think that they want expensive switches that requires hours of fiddling with settings, charging batteries of the remotes often and make them move even less and gain more weight?
Last edited by badidea on Jul 01, 2020 21:56, edited 2 times in total.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

marcov wrote:the need to escape with \\.\ for the -W calls.
utf8 support in the terminal is also being worked on.
I've never used the \\.\ escapes, where do you need them? Re terminal: if you mean the console, there has been utf8 support since WinXP, just use chcp 65001
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I feel sorry for shopkeepers using win 10 POS machines just after their break.
But I do see many of the garages and builder's suppliers (and one newsagent) are using Linux.