freebasic readme.txt, IDE's, and recognitions

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
coderJeff
Site Admin

freebasic readme.txt, IDE's, and recognitions

Post by coderJeff »

Hello freebasic community.

There's a recent pull request to rename 'readme.txt' to 'readme.md' so it displays better in github. See https://github.com/freebasic/fbc/pull/219
This is not the real issue of concern for me, though.

freebasic's readme.txt is quite out-dated. I feel like a bad leader not keeping this file up to date. I would appreciate some help.

1) Please nit-pick and rip apart the freebasic readme.txt in detail. I will be very pleased to try and resolve.

2) IDE's
a) FBIDE is ancient. And link for FBEDIT is at least very old.
b) What are the IDEs that need to be recommended today?
c) WINFBE seems like a good IDE to recommend for windows. PaulSquires produces an IDE complete with fbc package. That's awesome!

3) readme.txt member/user recognition:
- Apologies, please. I have been involved with freebasic project for like 8 out of 16 years. I don't know everything or everyone. I'm still learning some real names of people above and beyond their forum user name. Also, I sometimes tend to live in my own little world and forget to notice the time that others might give to the project.

4) Project Members:
a) I'm OK with the project member list. This is kind of a special group. All of these individuals probably committed to way more than they expected at some point.
b) maybe some project members should have their entry updated. Please review and let me know of possible revisions.

5) Contributors list:
a) St_W, for regular builds.
b) D.J. Peters entry should be updated. He's contributed many libraries and headers for use in fb.
c) fxm, is not listed but should be, His contribution to the documentation is extensive and invaluable.
d) others I have not mentioned, sorry.

6) Greetings:
a) I think this should be for all those members that maybe don't contribute directly to the freebasic compiler or runtime code base, but none-the-less help out with the project in a significant way.
b) Josep Roca for his on-going offering of the excellent WinFBX library.
c) SARG for the fb-debugger
e) others I have not mentioned, sorry.

If the community would be so willing, please post the names of those that should be recognized.

If you do not feel comfortable to post here, please email me on coder[at]execulink[dot]com. You can also let me know of your own personal contributions that I may have overlooked.

I'd like to contact individuals to find the name (or alias) and/or email to include in the readme.txt. I hope nobody minds that I use the email on file in the user account.

Thank-you,
~Jeff