What do new users need?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
speedfixer

Re: What do new users need?

Post by speedfixer »

Your example is exactly what I was talking about.
Either way your original box is 1920 x 1200.

My library would see that. You would have set the line/column set to an appropriate value for that screen and the font size would be scaled to that.
If you SET the screen to that size, it will still be that size. The fonts will still fill that screen the same way.

If you only told the screen to be full size, then when it sets up to THAT full size, the line and column set would still be the same, and the font would scale up AUTOMATICALLY for that same line and column amount for THAT size screen. Bigger fonts.

If YOU don't scale your graphics into the screen yourself, then you at the mercy of your OS.
I choose Linux to NOT need to have those worries.

And you misunderstand. *I* don't deal with pixels. My library does.
If I do nothing, every and any size screen I make is 120 char wide and 40 rows high. (I have some default limits, but basically, any decent size screen is this setting.) I can change that if I wish. 800x800, or 3840x2160: 120x40 - or any other wide/high character setting if I want.

But you and I agree: FB could do this for us.
Also, just so you understand, fonts changes have nothing to do with graphics. Different topic.
If you are concerned to fix your text relative to a set of graphics on your screen, another method is needed to anchor one to another. A lot of work, but not hard to do. I played with a system to do this, but I'm not interested in this. That really is turning FB into some other purposed kind of language.

david

For any of you interested:
I do very little graphics. I use text graphics - lines/boxes, etc. - so this works well for me.
My method should be clear from what I said above. MY execution of this method is certainly overly complex for most. I guarantee few would like the way I do it:
THAT font library is 700 loc.
It needs support libraries:
atomics: 600 loc
basic console: 2100 loc
mouse/key: 2800 loc
video thread: 2200 loc (maybe)
color: 2600 loc
screen detection, etc: 1000 loc
other types/definitions: 2100 loc
inline inclusion management: 1300 loc
scripts surrounding a lot of this: 1600 loc
Everything is in many, many separated files. And I have a lot more libs for other purposes.

Insane. I'm retired, I got time to kill. But the libs all become static libs first; other code includes them as needed.
Compiling is FAST because it is mostly linking.
Execution is fast - and at least 50% faster when it is threaded.
Faster and smaller again when it is a final app and all source is rolled into one module. A different script.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Okay so we're in violent agreement then. FB needs high DPI support. Because that's exactly what you're proposing with your library.
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

Only if you mean scalable font support.
bfuller

Post by bfuller »

I think I have posted something in a similar thread---but I found FreeBasic when searching for a simple (BASIC?) language that compiled into an "exe".

For me, finding a Compiler rather than an interpreter for my old favourate language was like gold. Yes--I am old too !!

I do find all this recent stuff that is looking more and more like C is a bit beyond me------I am a bit of a hardware hacker so just getting a PC to communicate with another piece of equipment and being able to display and analyse the data is good for me. I do find that most of what I want is already done somewhere/somehow so a good forum search often helps.

If I was to offer a suggestion for "what do new users want?" then a comprehensive example or sample program library (exactly like what comes with the Arduino IDE) would save the new user the frustration of finding code that won't even compile----I wonder how many potential users are lost through a simple bad experience trying to get something up and running at all----and Yes, I know it is all there if you look, but we are talking about suggestions here, not criticisms. The developers do an amazing job and other than highlighting possible bugs for their attention---there is not much more we need really.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

This theme was brought up several times, but obviously the operators of this forum are not able (or interested) to establish an international version of "Projektvorstellungen", "Code-Beispiele" or "Tutorials", where all those things could be collected in an ordered way so they could easily be found (or recovered).

It's a pity.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

grindstone wrote:This theme was brought up several times, but obviously the operators of this forum are not able (or interested) to establish an international version of "Projektvorstellungen", "Code-Beispiele" or "Tutorials", where all those things could be collected in an ordered way so they could easily be found (or recovered)..
I guess you can always google translate the German sites although the variable names and comments in the code will be meaningless. Must be strange for those who speak and write another language to be using a language with English commands.

What language would an "international" version be written in?

https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/CommunityTutorials
http://virtualink.wikidot.com/start
https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/CatPgProgrammer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbeginner/
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

BasicCoder2 wrote:What language would an "international" version be written in?
In english, of course. *grin*

Yes, it seems that we already have everything we need, but it's spread across the whole net, and you can't expect a newcomer to search and find it all. Shouldn't it be possible to gather all (compiler package, IDE(s) and a selection of useful links) at one place as a kind of "starter package" ?