How to cross compile to another platform?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Cretin Ho

How to cross compile to another platform?

Post by Cretin Ho »

I'm on Linux. I want to compile for the Solaris target. How could I do it? Could I have fbc to generate binaries for me or it will only generate C sources and I have to use the gcc cross compiler to have the binaries? I already have the gcc cross compiler working. Please help me with the proper procedures. Thanks.

p/s: I have the fbc on Solaris port working fine already with a few caveats, this is about cross compiler from Linux for Solaris.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Re: How to cross compile to another platform?

Post by Xusinboy Bekchanov »

Cretin Ho wrote:I'm on Linux. I want to compile for the Solaris target. How could I do it? Could I have fbc to generate binaries for me or it will only generate C sources and I have to use the gcc cross compiler to have the binaries? I already have the gcc cross compiler working. Please help me with the proper procedures. Thanks.

p/s: I have the fbc on Solaris port working fine already with a few caveats, this is about cross compiler from Linux for Solaris.
When compiling, there is the -target key
Cretin Ho

Post by Cretin Ho »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote:
Cretin Ho wrote:I'm on Linux. I want to compile for the Solaris target. How could I do it? Could I have fbc to generate binaries for me or it will only generate C sources and I have to use the gcc cross compiler to have the binaries? I already have the gcc cross compiler working. Please help me with the proper procedures. Thanks.

More information? Does this generate C sources or binaries directly? I know I should just try it myself, but I don't have my computer now. Posting from guest account on a public PC.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Cretin Ho wrote:

More information? Does this generate C sources or binaries directly? I know I should just try it myself, but I don't have my computer now. Posting from guest account on a public PC.
-gen gcc creates a C file and compiles with gcc (without user intervention). -gen gas and -gen gas64 create binary files directly (without C code). On Unix like systems the default is -gen gcc.
Cretin Ho

Post by Cretin Ho »

Cretin Ho wrote:
Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote: When compiling, there is the -target key
-gen gcc creates a C file and compiles with gcc (without user intervention). -gen gas and -gen gas64 create binary files directly (without C code). On Unix like systems the default is -gen gcc.
Yeah I know but which gcc? For example, the target is Solaris. Does it invoke the system's gcc (incorrect, this gcc generates binary for Linux) or my x86_64-pc-sun2.11-gcc (correct, this is the cross compiler that generates binary for Solaris)? This is the piece of information I wanted to know.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Cretin Ho wrote:
Cretin Ho wrote: More information? Does this generate C sources or binaries directly? I know I should just try it myself, but I don't have my computer now. Posting from guest account on a public PC.
Yeah I know but which gcc? For example, the target is Solaris. Does it invoke the system's gcc (incorrect, this gcc generates binary for Linux) or my x86_64-pc-sun2.11-gcc (correct, this is the cross compiler that generates binary for Solaris)? This is the piece of information I wanted to know.
Whichever target, that's what gcc uses. For example: -target androideabi. Uses androideabi-gcc
Cretin Ho

Post by Cretin Ho »

Cretin Ho wrote:
Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote: -gen gcc creates a C file and compiles with gcc (without user intervention). -gen gas and -gen gas64 create binary files directly (without C code). On Unix like systems the default is -gen gcc.
Whichever target, that's what gcc uses. For example: -target androideabi. Uses androideabi-gcc
Thanks. But this now arising a new problem. The target is named solaris, but the cross compiler is actually named x86_64-pc-sun2.11-gcc, this will caused mismatch.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Cretin Ho wrote:
Cretin Ho wrote: Yeah I know but which gcc? For example, the target is Solaris. Does it invoke the system's gcc (incorrect, this gcc generates binary for Linux) or my x86_64-pc-sun2.11-gcc (correct, this is the cross compiler that generates binary for Solaris)? This is the piece of information I wanted to know.
Thanks. But this now arising a new problem. The target is named solaris, but the cross compiler is actually named x86_64-pc-sun2.11-gcc, this will caused mismatch.
You can use any C compiler. You must use the -r or -R compiler switches to do this. Then the generated C file will not be deleted. And compile this C file with your favorite compiler.