Thank you

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

Thank you

Post by BasicCoder2 »

I would like to thank all those working "behind the scenes" who write documentation, work on the compiler and extend the usefulness of FreeBasic by making it easy to use other code written in C or C++. Without you guys FreeBASIC wouldn't be what it is today.
srvaldez

Re: Thank you

Post by srvaldez »

especial thanks to fxm for the documentation and constant help :-)
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

Thanks to all of them, of course.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

BasicCoder2 wrote:Without you guys FreeBASIC wouldn't be what it is today.
No argument there but it would be much more if there was more such guys. It is quite a burden for so few shoulders.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

I fall into line: A big thank you to all those who work to bring forth FreeBASIC.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:
BasicCoder2 wrote:Without you guys FreeBASIC wouldn't be what it is today.
No argument there but it would be much more if there was more such guys. It is quite a burden for so few shoulders.
Unfortunately I don't have the skill set myself to contribute anything of value. It is the ongoing development and support that makes a language great that is why I now spend a lot of time with Python for hardware projects for the RPi.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

BasicCoder2 wrote:Unfortunately I don't have the skill set myself to contribute anything of value.
That is probably true of most of us. Folks like Jeff Marshall are a rarity.

You may not believe this but the head of the Mathematics department said: "Right you can do a degree in Computer Science or a degree in Mathematics, but I should tell you that there is no money in Mathematics. My response was: "I am not interested in money, but I am interested in Mathematics. There was a slight pause, and he said: "Mathematics it is then". Had I chosen Computer Science he would have been proven right, but I doubt that I would have had the same 'buzz' as reading maths. You have obviously found your 'buzz' in hardware. I can change a fuse, but that is me done. Image
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@BasicCoder2

I read your last post and then went out. When I came back, I went to respond, but your post had vanished. That can only happen if admin removed it or the forum software went pear shaped. You did not write anything to justify a removal.

Anyway I cannot respond to a non-existent post. Image
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@deltarho[1859]

Sorry I apologize. I considered it was off the topic of the thread and thought about responding with another thread. I often make poor judgement calls which I later regret, thanks to hindsight or a negative response. Story of my life. I now try to practice never missing a chance to say nothing :)
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@BasicCoder2

Try this:

[off-topic]
Of course proper off-topic tags would be good.
[/off-topic]

I must be one of the worst for going off-topic - I derailed you. Image
BasicCoder2

power of mathematics

Post by BasicCoder2 »

deltarho[1859]
I must be one of the worst for going off-topic - I derailed you.
No problems. I can't remember what I wrote now. Something about how all modern science depends on mathematical models. For example the program I am working on now uses trig functions. Back propagation in an artificial neural network requires calculus. Electronics starts with ohm's law for simple DC circuits but requires more advanced math to model AC circuits and electronic feedback systems. The power of the many branches of mathematics is excruciatingly elegant and amazing.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

[off-topic]
No problems. I can't remember what I wrote now. Something about how all modern science depends on mathematical models. For example the program I am working on now uses trig functions. Back propagation in an artificial neural network requires calculus. Electronics starts with ohm's law for simple DC circuits but requires more advanced math to model AC circuits and electronic feedback systems. The power of the many branches of mathematics is excruciatingly elegant and amazing.
[/off-topic]

mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Recently I was looking over the history of lead developers and all the helpers, back the beginning. I too appreciate all the intense effort and work, very much.

FB taught me programming. Without FB I wouldn't have come to grasp anywhere near as much about coding, and probably would have quit long ago. Especially as more powerful features were added, which were at first daunting to me, they paved a way of progression mentally. Eventually it translated into an understanding of other languages, of new ways of thinking that are no longer intimidating. It has shaped not only my mind, but my life, my character as a person, and has made things possible that would never have been possible for me.

I don't want to leave FB, it suits me well. But if ever I have to, if FB can't progress further because of the rarity of such awesome devs and contributors, I certainly have the confidence to move forward, to migrate wherever I want to go.

Whether FB thrives and matures on for a long time or not, it already has an everlasting honor.

Thank you.