why i deleted my discord account

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
ron77

why i deleted my discord account

Post by ron77 »

hello...

as you may or may not know i deleted my discord account after being exposed too long to the negative side of discord and chatrooms in general.

discord is highly addictive to me i spent too many hours on it more that i intended instead of actually coding...

plus i met some negative people there (just like you meet everywhere) that i would prefer not to have met...

i had enough of discord and chatrooms so from now on i'm only going to use the forums of each programming language i code in (including FB) to ask for help or post code i worked on or projects i wish to share... instead of wasting time socializing and chatting about personal stuff i prefer to use the forum for code based related subjects...

ron77
aurelVZAB

Re: why i deleted my discord account

Post by aurelVZAB »

plus i met some negative people there (just like you meet everywhere) that i would prefer not to have met...
yes ron i agree with you ...in fact i think that more than 50% of discord "users" which are not forum members of any programming
forum "we" use are some sort of negative attitude fan boys or better to say crappers.
I just jump to visit some things but more than 80% of content is totally useless to read ..and that sucks.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

ron77 wrote:discord is highly addictive to me i spent too many hours on it more that i intended instead of actually coding...
I agree it's addicting. I did learn a lot from asking questions, also in the Raylib server, which has many programmers of different languages, and to me seem very friendly. But I can't deny I have spent a lot of time there as well. Since you said this, I am going to track and limit my time on it. Thank you for posting.
ron77

Post by ron77 »

hello...

well as if discord and IRC is not addictive enough i have opened a matrix.org server for freebasic here is the address : #freebasic:matrix.org or you can search for it in the public chatrooms just search for "freebasic"

i don't expect nothing from this server/channel/chatroom however since most of IRC members moved to discord and now Microsoft is interested in buying discord and who knows what they'll change if they'll do - i've opened this server at matrix.org... like i said i don't expect nothing much from this yet it's good that it's there...

ron77
Last edited by ron77 on Apr 11, 2021 9:10, edited 2 times in total.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

@SJ_Zero did a test on a Matrix account. I can't remember the details of his test, but he said it was really hard on the CPU, and didn't like it at all. I haven't checked it out. I don't care if Microsoft must purchase it, or anything else that other companies haven't grabbed yet, but I just hope they don't ruin Discord. They seem to have done an "okay" job with some other purchases, but to be honest, there are few companies you can find substantial reason to fully trust.

I don't have anything to hide, so I don't really care, but privacy is still a right we all should have, that is constantly being "worked-around" through miles of small-print, not to mention vaguely written. And I hate greed and dominance. But in this world, that's the way it is. So I'll just do what I think is best as things unravel. For now, get over my honeymoon with Discord (since I just got it a few weeks ago) and focus more on being productive.