Windows 11

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
marcov

Re: Windows 11

Post by marcov »

Note that requirements of early versions are usually higher than on final release. This is simply a classic PR trick to improve worth of mouth. The people with the $%#@ machines don't test, so the results are biassed toward higher spec machines.

With Vista they dropped the spec to even lower than expected, just so that laptop builders could clear out inventory of old chipsets for core2's that were originally designed for P4.

My private machines are still 2 times 3rd generation (i7-3770 PC and i7-3632QM laptop), though I also have a Ryzen 2600 for mostly linux work and building, I use the 3770 as daily work machine. For work I have a Ryzen 4800H laptop. The 3632QM has 8GB (but with discrete graphics), the rest have 16GB or more.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

marcov wrote:This is simply a classic PR trick to improve worth of mouth.
I didn't know that, but I can well believe it.

I have an i7-3770K, and it is not intimidated by Windows 10. A friend has an i5 quad, two years older than mine, and that is OK. Jumping to an 8th generation is a bit of a jump, especially when Microsoft said a minimum of two cores were needed.

Someone at Microsoft was spotted using Windows 11 on a 7th generation Surface Pro. Image
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

..and what is the problem ?
specification...of linux users is ubuntu,debvian..or derivate of derivates...
I am windows users and i dont care about offer ,i can use on my super-old computer with XP
and all what i use and like work out of box .
This one W11..is a great and i like it much more than 10, so that is why i probably still use win7
caseih

Post by caseih »

The cynic in me says that when Windows 10 was released, a lot of PC vendors felt burned that Windows 10 ran really well on old hardware, so there was very little reason for many PC owners to upgrade their hardware. We're talking up to 10 year old machines running Windows 10 comfortably. PC sales have been in a tremendous slump for quite a few years now. So they put pressure on MS to artificially increase the minimum spec to drive PC sales. We'll see what happens when the actual release occurs. I think MS will be hard pressed to explain why a PC that can comfortably run Windows 10 now won't run Windows 11. Surely MS's programming skills haven't declined that much in the last five years, have they? :)
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

Windows 7 running here - a perfect OS ;-)
...Yeah that is the real programmer !!!!
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Windows 7 2020 Edition could be the perfect Microsoft operating system

My wallet is open and ready. Image

Oh wait, it is only a concept. Image
badidea

Post by badidea »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Here is a bit more info: How-To Geek
Positive news in that article. Smaller updates, removal of 'live tiles' from start menu, back to a real operating system :-) But, as usual, Microsoft will probably introduce something again that no one wants. Like this 'news & interests' recently or 'analytics spam' in teams/office365. We'll see, hopefully just another annoying paper clip.
caseih wrote:The cynic in me says that when Windows 10 was released, a lot of PC vendors felt burned that Windows 10 ran really well on old hardware, so there was very little reason for many PC owners to upgrade their hardware. We're talking up to 10 year old machines running Windows 10 comfortably. PC sales have been in a tremendous slump for quite a few years now. So they put pressure on MS to artificially increase the minimum spec to drive PC sales. We'll see what happens when the actual release occurs. I think MS will be hard pressed to explain why a PC that can comfortably run Windows 10 now won't run Windows 11. Surely MS's programming skills haven't declined that much in the last five years, have they? :)
Probably related to end of the CPU clock speed increase also 10 years ago. Since then CPU core count kept increasing, but more difficult for an operating system to make use of. Memory size, disk size and speed are also still increasing but maybe Microsoft run out of ideas on how to increase the OS demand on that. Also, they cannot make the system requirements too high compared to Apple OS, Chrome OS, Linux, Anroid.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

I just installed Windows 11 on a VM
noticed how the task bar resembles that of Mac Os, the Icons on the taskbar are centered
when you click on the Start button this is what it looks like
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@srvaldez

Check out File Explorer - very posh. Image
caseih

Post by caseih »

Looks more and more like a KDE linux desktop.

So the start menu moves position as the dock fills up? That makes using the mouse slower due to violating the classic Fit's law. I guess starting applications from the keyboard using search is what they expect you do now.
Last edited by caseih on Jul 01, 2021 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

The much vaunted year of the Linux desktop has finally arrived, and it's entirely inside Windows!
marcov

Post by marcov »

Did you already find a "turn as much as possible nonsense off, I have to work" switch ?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

The Taskbar can be centred or left aligned.
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

TPM 2.0. Windows 11 will not work for me, too.