What is the relationship between FreeBASIC, ThinBASIC and OxygenBASIC?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
hungnguyengia

Re: What is the relationship between FreeBASIC, ThinBASIC and OxygenBASIC?

Post by hungnguyengia »

aurelVZAB wrote:
ThinBASIC is quite good. I liked the syntax but unfortunately it's 32 bit only and it tied to Windows.
ahh i see you need something that work on Linux and that is 64bit.

well so you need BaCon ...???
What is BaCon? I already have FreeBASIC and QB64, both of them works on 64 bit Linux.
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

I have checked most of the BASIC variants listed by dodicat. To my surprise some BASIC is very limited. For example, Justbasic and Yabasic doesn't support UDTs! Yabasic supports calling of external functions via it FFI interface. Justbasic doesn't support calling of DLLs, using of the Windows API and many more limitations imposed by the developer to make users switch to the commercial LibertyBasic. It's no more than a demo version of LB!

Capable BASIC indeed very few out there. I take UDTs support as a requirement to define what is a capable BASIC. Most of them are just a toy. This is why FreeBASIC shines. It's both free and powerful enough to develop something serious with it.
jcfuller

Post by jcfuller »

hungnguyengia wrote:
aurelVZAB wrote:
ThinBASIC is quite good. I liked the syntax but unfortunately it's 32 bit only and it tied to Windows.
ahh i see you need something that work on Linux and that is 64bit.

well so you need BaCon ...???
What is BaCon? I already have FreeBASIC and QB64, both of them works on 64 bit Linux.
I was involved for quite awhile at the beginning but lost interest in Linux
http://www.basic-converter.org/

James
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

You don't know what is BaCon..what kind of linux user u ??
Last edited by aurelVZAB on Mar 13, 2023 8:14, edited 1 time in total.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

aurelVZAB wrote:...
Basic is capable if have UDT,,really ?
and how often and for what u use UDT in your serius programming ?
And what would you suggest as a viable alternative? Global variables? Functions with dozens of parameters? Pointers to a blob of memory, and manual casting (assuming that the dialect actually supports pointers)?
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

aurelVZAB wrote:You don't know what is BaCon..what kind of linux user u are ??

Basic is capable if have UDT,,really ?
and how often and for what u use UDT in your serius programming ?
Just Basic not work on linux as far as i know for Yab i don't know ???
Stop being rude. I'm not on the cult of BASIC from the beginning. I'm not even a programmer. I used Linux since Microsoft started to be harsh on people use cracked version of Windows like me. I then bought a refurbish laptop with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM license that I'm still using but later I decided I can't afford the Windows license on my desktop PC so I decided going Linux. After tried many distributions I ended up using the Russian distro ROSA Linux. I found FreeBASIC 1.05 on the ROSA Software manager and started to research on FreeBASIC and finally I ended up here.

JustBASIC works fine on Wine 32 bit on ROSA Linux. You have to use winetricks to enable font smoothing otherwise Wine application fonts look pretty bad and optionally use winetricks to install the Consolas font. It's optional since you could have JustBASIC to use already installed font like Liberation Mono. Most Linux distro includes Liberation fonts by default.

Yabasic works fine on Unix. It even has a forked version for Haiku OS called Yab. You confused between the two, don't you?

http://2484.de/yabasic/

http://yab.orgfree.com/
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

IMO, any language without advanced data structure (C's structs, BASIC's UDTs,...) is a toy language. At very least, they are just script language, like the Unix shell. Yabasic and JustBASIC are scripting language that you could bind the interpreter to the source to create an executable. Coincident, isn't it?

ThinBASIC is also a script language but I consider it as a real language since it has UDTs support and powerful enough to do something useful by itself without being just a glue to call other people's codes (DLLs, Windows API,...). Hope it helps.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

-Stop OUPS
Last edited by aurelVZAB on Mar 13, 2023 8:15, edited 2 times in total.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

Of course victim of piracy, as a defense, Microsoft used to act himself as an 'outlaw', I could give you exemples (even when they publically assume to be in law violation, not just technic) but it's past and not place to debate about it.
Well, agreed Aurel, sounds experienced programmer, so what ?
Let's joke a bit.
Lurkers ?!!!?? Where?Where?Where?? ;-)
Mirror, my beautiful mirror, tell me which one is the most beautiful?
You are very beautiful mistress, but the most beautiful of Basics is Snow White!
-Aargh! Gasp! Damn it !
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

man stop smoking too much ...he he
Last edited by aurelVZAB on Mar 13, 2023 8:16, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

I mean your caller (hungnguyengia) is indeed probably or maybe a bit more experimented than what he admit (so what). You are a 'veteran' here, no trouble.
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

I hope we could stop the pointless discussion here as I already have the information I needed. BTW, I'm really an amateur. I go to the bookstore and asking for recommended programming books and the first thing they give to me is a book about data structure and algorithm. I still troubled to understand this book. I find it's astonishing to find out that there is language doesn't support creating advanced data structure (like C's structs and BASIC's UDTs).
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

@hungnguyengia. Sorry. You were given a very good advice in this bookstore, this has become unusual, often they try to sold useless stuff. Maybe, you should try to complete with file handling knowledges (sequential, indexed sequential and so on). Then u'd have to understand relations between datastructures logic, physical support (disk, ram..) and the goal they target.
Welcome, I hope to see your posts often !
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

I don't hope to anything ..why
simply because if you dont or cannot swallow what is what in programming world you may read 1000 books
and collect 100000 data from anywhere ...you must be enthusiast

most books are total crap and i never learnend anything useful for programming .
fxm

Post by fxm »

aurelVZAB wrote:most books are total crap and i never learned anything useful for programming .
A little violent but:
- A number of books / articles contain errors because the author does not always dominate the subject he is talking about, and even maybe he copied it from elsewhere (this is why same errors multiply sometimes over time).
- Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information.
- Imagination is more important than knowledge.