What is the relationship between FreeBASIC, ThinBASIC and OxygenBASIC?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
aurelVZAB

Re: What is the relationship between FreeBASIC, ThinBASIC and OxygenBASIC?

Post by aurelVZAB »

@Lost
i expected wall of text as answer..heh..you have right in some points for sure
but this topic is about relation between BASIC-s..right?
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

Precisely. When time to choose a tool, be aware of advantages, strenghts and limits. Not useless to mention at least one licence shall not be valid on a pure transpiler, right ?
marcov

Post by marcov »

Note that commercial products might have non-compete clauses in their license, iow you are not allowed to create something that competes with the product with it.

This e.g. applies to Delphi which puts many IDEs created in Delphi on rocky grounds, _even_ if they don't use any Delphi code. Just by being compiled with it, since Delphi is both the compiler and an IDE.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

Non compete clause on lzle because I do not want to be challenged by my 'own code' used in a commercial concurrent product.
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

aurelVZAB wrote:by the way ..why all this investigation?
yes ..curiosity ?
Yes. Only curiosity.
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

This is not a comparision of any BASIC-*. From what I read from ThinBASIC I think it also has something to do with FreeBASIC and OxygenBASIC but my English is too bad I can't figure it myself even with the help of GG translate and even though I have read it many times. If you read the change log of the latest BETA version of ThinBASIC you will see both FreeBASIC and OxygenBASIC being mentioned. So out of curiosity I asked this question.
marcov

Post by marcov »

Lost Zergling wrote:Non compete clause on lzle because I do not want to be challenged by my 'own code' used in a commercial concurrent product.
Yeah, that is a good reason to never use such package. If you design it in, you can never ever do anything with the resulting codebase.

Moreover, most handcrafted licenses are hopelessly ambiguous. What defines commercial ? (true example) If I write an free application for a horse showjumping tournament, and it gets picked up by the national league of the sport and they pay me a couple of hundred bucks for it, is that commercial? (a true commercial developer would laugh at a couple of hundred bucks for yearrs of work) What if the league sells it to the neighbouring Belgian league ?(well, ok, that didn't happen)

If you ever need to distribute your codebases (free or commercial), stay away from code with home grown licenses.
Last edited by marcov on Jul 16, 2021 9:02, edited 1 time in total.
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

marcov wrote:Note that commercial products might have non-compete clauses in their license, iow you are not allowed to create something that competes with the product with it.

This e.g. applies to Delphi which puts many IDEs created in Delphi on rocky grounds, _even_ if they don't use any Delphi code. Just by being compiled with it, since Delphi is both the compiler and an IDE.
So there is Lazarus.
marcov

Post by marcov »

hungnguyengia wrote:
marcov wrote:Note that commercial products might have non-compete clauses in their license, iow you are not allowed to create something that competes with the product with it.

So there is Lazarus.
Lazarus doesn't use Delphi code. Many of these IDEs use MDI which Lazarus doesn't do very well. (basically because it is deprecated after win9x)
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

I have seen software is free for personal use but not for commercial use. Such software can even be open source. They usually being dual licensed between a commercial license and an open source licese. There is case like this, too: the free community version is licensed under GPL (or even AGPL) so any derived works have to be open source, too. If someone wanted to keep his code closed source he will have to use the commercial licensed version, regardless of his software is free or commercial. So, the company will always be get paid. I think it's a very creative way to deal with licensing nowadays.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

Lzle is free for any use(inc com.) so such compiled with FB. It is also open source and free to distribute. Nevertheless, if I have to pay for compiler, you have to pay also. My conditions are yours. nb : edited due to translation possible error.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I don't see much sense in actually forking out money for a compiler these days, most of the compliers are free anyway.
https://www.thefreecountry.com/
Even only basic compilers are nearly all free.
http://basic.mindteq.com/index.php?i=popular
I believe powerbasic was free for a few days a while back until the author suddenly had a change of heart.
But because it is not developed in 64 bits I assume it's days are numbered, only the forum will keep it alive.

Of course it depends on what job you want to get done whether you fork out for a compiler or use a free one.
I dowloaded Oxygenbasic to try, a neat ide, a bit like the old powerbasic+freebasic BE ide, which was written in powerbasic.
The Oxygenbasic graphics look good, I think OpenGL based.
I haven't tried thinbasic.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

@marcov. I think lzle licence is pretty clear (compared to what you describe): compile it with FB (a release available), and no other restrictions than the usual. Of course Cecill-c is pretty exotic (related to 'Roman' law, not to 'common law'), nevertheless l-gpl compliant. Of course not really a Cecill-c, but it behave as one so such you just opt for it and compile the tool with FB. This is not much worse than l-gpl licences.
Thus, no ambiguity between com/non com/professional use.
Related use & distribution rights are explicitely granted irreversibly so such conditions are meet, wich is not the case when only a copyright is mentionned.
Reason why I think it is usable for most use case.
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

dodicat wrote:I don't see much sense in actually forking out money for a compiler these days, most of the compliers are free anyway.
https://www.thefreecountry.com/
Even only basic compilers are nearly all free.
http://basic.mindteq.com/index.php?i=popular
I believe powerbasic was free for a few days a while back until the author suddenly had a change of heart.
But because it is not developed in 64 bits I assume it's days are numbered, only the forum will keep it alive.

Of course it depends on what job you want to get done whether you fork out for a compiler or use a free one.
I dowloaded Oxygenbasic to try, a neat ide, a bit like the old powerbasic+freebasic BE ide, which was written in powerbasic.
The Oxygenbasic graphics look good, I think OpenGL based.
I haven't tried thinbasic.
Most of these BASIC compilers and interpreters are outdated and no longer developed.
There still be closed source and commerical BASIC I always wish someday I could buy it. Currently I will not spend my money for such thing like this.
For example: https://www.purebasic.com/ https://www.xojo.com/
Let me clarify: I don't advertise for them. But, I think they are worth to buy.

ThinBASIC is quite good. I liked the syntax but unfortunately it's 32 bit only and it tied to Windows.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

ThinBASIC is quite good. I liked the syntax but unfortunately it's 32 bit only and it tied to Windows.
ahh i see you need something that work on Linux and that is 64bit.

well so you need BaCon ...???