Recommended settings for FBIde users

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
dodicat

Re: Recommended settings for FBIde users

Postby dodicat » Jul 30, 2016 0:08

If you set fbide with:
cmd /c ""<$file>" <$param> & pause"
Then some shell commands won't work.
For instance:

Code: Select all

sub messagebox(msg as string)
     shell ("msg * "+ msg)
 end sub

messagebox "HELLO"
 sleep

If you use fbide a lot, code completion becomes a burden when you switch ides.
Some ides close brackets, churn out an end if after an if, and other silly stuff.
Who needs that?
But then again, if you are used to code completion, fbide could seem quite basic.
sancho2

Postby sancho2 » Jul 30, 2016 2:02

Tourist Trap wrote:
sancho2 wrote:Note that the intelliscense in FBEdit is broken and unreliable.

Nope, as you know, it's just that you need keyboard to navigate through the various syntaxes proposed.
The autocomplete aspect of it is broken badly.
Start with the keyword "this". See if it autocompletes anywhere.
Next try the following:

Code: Select all

Type ztype As atype
Type atype
   x As Integer
   b As Integer
   Private:
   f As Integer   
End Type
Type btype
   t As atype
End Type
Dim n As atype
'n.f = 10    ' f should not show as it is private, but it does
'Dim r As z  ' here it should autocomplete to show 'ztype' but it shows only zstring
Dim r As ztype
'r.   'here it should give me x and b but it shows nothing
Dim b As btype
With b
   With .t
      '. here it should give me x and b but it shows .t again
   End With
End With

As you code large classes or classes with UDT's you find more and more places where autocomplete is broken and shows incorrect options. This then becomes intrusive. I would call that broken.
Tourist Trap

Postby Tourist Trap » Jul 30, 2016 9:48

sancho2 wrote:Start with the keyword "this". See if it autocompletes anywhere.
As you code large classes or classes with UDT's you find more and more places where autocomplete is broken and shows incorrect options. This then becomes intrusive. I would call that broken.

I wouldnt call that broken, just not fully implemented. I also would like to see THIS autocomplete but it would require from the IDE part to recognize what THIS is the alias for. And sometimes it's alias for nothing if you haven't yet written a correct block.
To avoid incorrect options, I start one FBEDIT per familly of code so the function of ones won't add to the functions of the others.
muguk

Postby muguk » Sep 23, 2016 10:16

Is there a way to define which compiler each project will use? I want to create some DOS apps, and then move onto Windows apps. Currently FBIDE only points to the one existence of FBC.EXE - do I have to point it to the one I require every time?
St_W

Postby St_W » Sep 23, 2016 11:35

muguk wrote:Is there a way to define which compiler each project will use? I want to create some DOS apps, and then move onto Windows apps. Currently FBIDE only points to the one existence of FBC.EXE - do I have to point it to the one I require every time?

FBIDE is very old and limited and doesn't support that. I'd recommend using
FbEdit viewtopic.php?p=211555#p211555 (no active development anymore, but stable)
or
PoseidonFB viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23935 (actively developed, but not that stable yet)
Tourist Trap

Postby Tourist Trap » Sep 23, 2016 12:16

muguk wrote:Is there a way to define which compiler each project will use? I want to create some DOS apps, and then move onto Windows apps. Currently FBIDE only points to the one existence of FBC.EXE - do I have to point it to the one I require every time?

You can duplicate your FBIDE directory to have many installations (it's possible because it's a really small program). Then you can change the settings once for each installation. You would then have an installation dedicated to such or such target and its command lines.
Otherwise changing the settings each time for one unique FBIDE is not very fast.
muguk

Postby muguk » Sep 23, 2016 12:27

Tourist Trap wrote:

You can duplicate your FBIDE directory to have many installations (it's possible because it's a really small program). Then you can change the settings once for each installation. You would then have an installation dedicated to such or such target and its command lines.
Otherwise changing the settings each time for one unique FBIDE is not very fast.

Ah right. Probably need to scrap my current FB set up and start all over. And have three copies of the FB IDE as you've suggested.

Many thanks.

Return to “Beginners”