so how do i start, newbie here

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
micmesum

Re: so how do i start, newbie here

Post by micmesum »

I wanted to learn with mobile app:-), cant touch my dekstop, im on vacatioj:-D
caseih

Post by caseih »

Okay, I understand. Good luck! Don't know of any besides the ones you've mentioned. Definitely FreeBASIC isn't available as an android app. QB64 is available as a web-based app but I don't know if that's good for anything but trying out the language in a browser (don't think it can load or save programs).

It's a bit extreme, but there is Debian for Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... _kit&hl=en). I'd say it's requires advanced users, though, and sufficient hardware (a big SD card). With this though you can run full Linux, and install FreeBASIC in that.
micmesum

Post by micmesum »

Its indee very extrem!:O, i wont do that, i afraid it can harmfully my phone:O, beside i have not operate android very well also so have no idea》.《
but sounds good plan to bring os and use fb, if thats possible to do then i prefer used lighter os like dos maybe? Im gonna take a look if it posible:-D
caseih

Post by caseih »

On a real computer just stick with what you have (Windows I presume) and FreeBASIC. Use a nice editor like Notepad++, or FBIde. If by DOS you mean the command prompt, then yes you'll have to learn that to compile programs and run them. But just a tip: refer to it as the Windows command prompt, or cmd. But it's certainly not DOS. I'm not clear if you mean DOS as the command prompt or DOS as in MS-DOS, the old 16-bit text-mode operating system.

However, as far as MS-DOS goes, though, you can run DosBox on Android, and install FreeBASIC for DOS in that. But if you have no experience with command-line apps, no DOS experience, I am afraid you'll find that very difficult. I occasionally do it for nostalgia purposes.
micmesum

Post by micmesum »

Guess you were right, i think i should just wait till i get on home, and stick with window fbide, it much hard work to used and operate comipler , i never touch that before:O, i just know how friendly ide rather than compiler, for newbie like me yes:'(, thnx fyi though, it give me good pointed between which compiler&ide:-D
Galyo

Post by Galyo »

I'm a 'newbie' myself (although I do have some previous experience with Logo, that was a long time ago). I'm using this tutorial to learn FreeBASIC: http://notthecheatr.phatcode.net/fb_n00 ... index.html

So far it's a very good tutorial series and I can recommend it to you if you're looking for a good place to start.

I'm not sure if anybody experienced knows this tutorial and can tell if its good or not, or recommend more written tutorials.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Galyo wrote:I'm not sure if anybody experienced knows this tutorial and can tell if its good or not, or recommend more written tutorials.
Everyone learns differently so only you can know if the tutorial worked for you.
I thought the bit in chapter9 on bitmap headers was a big jump and I would haven't gone there that quickly or at all.

I think of programming as using a set instructions for processing data. So I start with the data and imagine how I would process that data using a given set of instructions such as those provided by FreeBASIC. You could carry out the instructions yourself with pen and paper except that would be rather slow. The power of the computer is not in its superior intellect but in its ability to do things very quickly that would take you a very long time. All high level instructions reduce to a set of low level instructions built into the computer's central processing unit. People who know how to use the CPU instructions set write pieces of code to carry out some process and then embody it as a higher level instruction like "PRINT" to make it easier for others. And like wise these high level instructions can be used to make even higher level instructions which can be bundle up in a library and included with your languages' basic set of instructions.

You cannot write a piece of code to do something you could not do yourself with pen and paper. If you are not an accountant you cannot write an accounting package. If you are not a mathematician you cannot write a program to return the COS of an angle. And so on ...
Galyo

Post by Galyo »

BasicCoder2 wrote:
Galyo wrote:I'm not sure if anybody experienced knows this tutorial and can tell if its good or not, or recommend more written tutorials.
I think of programming as using a set instructions for processing data. So I start with the data and imagine how I would process that data using a given set of instructions such as those provided by FreeBASIC.
That's also how I look at it. However, for me its about learning the conventions of the programming language first, and then working within that framework. If I for example would be a C++ programmer trying to work out a program in FreeBASIC the way I would normally do, I would probably get frustrated if I don't familiarize myself with the language first.

Do you perhaps know some good (written) tutorials that 'fill the gaps' of the tutorial I posted? I'm getting pretty far by just looking stuff up on the Wiki alone, but having a tutorial is always handy. I've looked at the tutorials posted on the front page, but they seem very short.
micmesum

Post by micmesum »

Hai gaylo nice tut you got there and tnx:D, im feel so exicted now, since i cant used my pchome'beside is too old already:p' i have decided to bought my other piece of junk into repaired services today:D, yes i used to have laptop also but its broken due ages :p, luckly i left it on my mom home, and yup im on here and found it so i willing to pay for fix :D, wish me luck maybe?:p, hope it wont cost too expensive, last time i try to fixed myself i ended up on mobo issue so i give up, nec token problem if i recall correctly:D
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Galyo wrote:Do you perhaps know some good (written) tutorials that 'fill the gaps' of the tutorial I posted?
I didn't start FreeBASIC as a beginner having used QBASIC first so I can't really judge how good a FreeBasic tutorial might be for an absolute beginner. For me they are just reference material.

Good luck with your programming adventure and remember you can post a question to the forum on anything you don't understand.
fxm

Post by fxm »

micmesum

Post by micmesum »

Yey finaly my laptop alive again:-D, dont have any idea what the method they use to fix, i only need to wait for 3hours》.《 but is worth and i they only charge around $10:-D, thinks i lucky enough, i get cheap magicshop:-), and now times come, i write my 1st program on fb:-D

Code: Select all

dim greeting as string
dim bla as string
greeting = "hai guys name is mesum, you can call me mic without mesum, but i like called as micmesum becouse im mesum:-D"
bla = " so im gonna learn fb, i hope i can mastered this someday, so i can begin my dream concept, 1&d1t03h3&t4i :-D"
print greeting or bla
end ! nope, continue:-D
Lothar Schirm

Post by Lothar Schirm »

Godd luck!
Your code example does not work. The compiler reports the following errors:

C:\FreeBASIC\fbc -exx "unbenannt.bas" (im Verzeichnis: C:\FreeBASIC\Progs)
unbenannt.bas(5) error 20: Type mismatch in 'print greeting or bla'
unbenannt.bas(6) error 3: Expected End-of-Line, found '!' in 'end ! nope, continue:-D'
Kompilierung fehlgeschlagen.

Probably the text after "end" is not part of your code? But 'print greeting or bla' makes no sense. Do you mean this?

Code: Select all

print greeting
print bla
Galyo

Post by Galyo »

BasicCoder2 wrote:
Galyo wrote:Do you perhaps know some good (written) tutorials that 'fill the gaps' of the tutorial I posted?
I didn't start FreeBASIC as a beginner having used QBASIC first so I can't really judge how good a FreeBasic tutorial might be for an absolute beginner. For me they are just reference material.

Good luck with your programming adventure and remember you can post a question to the forum on anything you don't understand.
Hmm. I started out with Logo when I was a kid, but I have very little recollection of that language nor was I really in the right mindset back then... I have to say I love FreeBASIC! It's great for learning programming and it's a powerful language.

Thanks a lot! I'm a bit shy posting, but I will get over that soon enough. I wrote my first program which I would like to post here so I could perhaps get some critique and comments from experienced coders, but I want to 'debug' it a bit further first.
fxm wrote:Do you know this document?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fbeginner/
I'm not sure how I missed that. Was it linked on the frontpage? I must have overlooked it.

Either way, thanks a lot! I'm eager to continue learning FB!