Controlling the window size of a compiled program?

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
jj2007

Re: Controlling the window size of a compiled program?

Post by jj2007 »

dodicat wrote:In essence they would be tweaking the system registry each time to run a console program, which is a bit heavy IMHO
Not that heavy, actually. But today I tinkered with a console application that should save its settings to something like HKCU\Console\C:_SomeFolder_SomeApp.exe, and guess what? It doesn't.

Actually, it does something else, i.e. the font and layout settings get perfectly saved but not to that registry key! I have searched the whole registry for SomeApp.exe, no success. This is Win7-64, same for XP.

Microsoft describes the whole process here, and it's messy. In particular (and Microsoft won't tell you that), I found out in the meantime that for saving the settings Windows does not use the ...SomeApp.exe key but rather the MyIDE.exe key. Only when you launch SomeApp.exe independently of the IDE, e.g. by double-clicking the exe in Explorer, the key gets created.

It's absolutely hilarious! I opened a DOS prompt from my file manager (FreeCommander), then launched SomeApp.exe, changed some settings, and voilà, a new key gets created. Not SomeApp.exe but rather a key named "FreeCommander - DOS". Isn't that cute? Micros**t at its best.