Odd pause when sometimes starting programme

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
olympic sleeper

Odd pause when sometimes starting programme

Post by olympic sleeper »

Hi,

I am re-learning basic and coding and am writing a text adventure. This uses a lot of string manipulation that used to cause interpreted versions issues with garbage collection and I am not sure if this is my problem.

There is sometimes a pause of a few seconds when I start my programme from the command line (I'm using windows 10). Something is happening in the background but I have no idea what. Once this pause happens it will always pause until I shut down the command line and restart it. Then it'll be fine, perhaps for ages until it randomly starts pausing again.

It does not pause during the programme, only at the very start and I cannot consistently reproduce it so I am stumped.

Anyone any ideas?
fxm

Re: Odd pause when sometimes starting programme

Post by fxm »

The anti-virus (Microsoft Defender for example) ?
SamL

Post by SamL »

i get the same thing some times. with my code. i have also disabled my windows defender scanning that directory but i still get the pause when compiling and run the program sometimes. mostly only happens the first time i compile run it. and there is a pause for around 2 seconds or so while the program is starting, after the program has started running. but only once in a while i get that.

I always figured the OS was being slow.

Windows 10, 64 bit
AMD Ryzen 7
32 gb ram
NVMe M.2

freebasic 1.07.1, 64bit

I have the same question as you.

-SamL
marcov

Post by marcov »

And Windows Smartscreen.