Questions before moving on to FB

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
Cretin Ho

Re: Questions before moving on to FB

Post by Cretin Ho »

This started to be out of control. Before I quit I kindly remind jj that the 100% disk issue was indeed not caused by the disk not have enough space but because Windows Defender scan the system constantly so the disk is constantly accessed (read/write). The only reliable workaround I know is buying an SSD. But this behavior is of bad software, with too many over-engineering features (well, some will consider those features as needed, e.g: real time protection against virus and malware), it has nothing to do with a binary is small or big at all. This is now a trend, other software does this, too.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Cretin Ho wrote:This started to be out of control. Before I quit I kindly remind jj that the 100% disk issue was indeed not caused by the disk not have enough space but because Windows Defender scan the system constantly so the disk is constantly accessed (read/write). The only reliable workaround I know is buying an SSD. But this behavior is of bad software, with too many over-engineering features (well, some will consider those features as needed, e.g: real time protection against virus and malware), it has nothing to do with a binary is small or big at all. This is now a trend, other software does this, too.
Where did I write that the disk would not have enough space???

And yes, you are right, Windows Defender (or any other crappy AV) has a role in rendering Win10 unusable for so many people.

And yes, you are wrong, it does make a difference if the AV has to scan 10,000 exe and dll files created by QT, at 8MB each, or 10,000 tiny FB-created executables. A huge difference.

From https://www.tenforums.com/performance-m ... sable.html
Bloatware updates make system unusable

At random times, Windows becomes so slow that it's almost unusable. Task manager shows the C disk active at 100% for hours. It takes me 15 minutes to copy a file. Sometimes the disk pointer is frozen for a minute or two.

This has happened four or five times a month since I bought my Windows 10 laptop in March, and I finally figured out what's going on. The computer is downloading and installing the latest Microsoft bloatware and crapware updates, and is taking almost total control of my computer to do it.

It is ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS that I have to lose hours of work so that some Microsoft jackass can download crapware updates onto my machine. By the way, this is different from the security updates. Crapware updates can happen at any moment, any time of the day or night, even if security updates are paused.

Here's what happened on Tuesday (yesterday, Dec 24) when I had to get some critical work done: I got a Microsoft crapware attack starting at 10 am, which continued until after 1 pm. It was the worst crapware attack ever, since after it ended two of my apps (Acrobat and Emacs) no longer worked at all. I was afraid that the crapware update had done permanent damage by deleting essential files, so I rebooted, wasting another hour, and fortunately the apps worked again.

As if that weren't bad enough, I couldn't believe it but incredibly, at 3:55 pm, there was ANOTHER crapware attack. That lasted until 6 pm. And then at 6:30 pm there was ANOTHER crapware attack, lasting half an hour.
Sounds unlikely? The guy has a fast Core i5. I have a Win10 machine with an average CPU that my kids use for surfing the internet. They avoid it like the plague because it's so slow, and every time I check in Task Manager, it's always the same story: updating updating updating updating updating ... a looooong time ago, the coders at Micros**t have lost control over their huge pile of shyte.
marcov

Post by marcov »

caseih wrote: While most Linux distros are getting quite complicated and the apps being used are very complicated these days, at least Linux can be stripped down and a very small distro made to run in just a few MB of space (which back in the MS-DOS days still would raise eyebrows).
Just invest one dollar in an arduino that you can run of USB. You can blink lights in 500 bytes. Now that is minimalism.
Ahh but rewriting it all in Rust will fix that. :)
Just like C# was said to do it 15 years ago :-) Only till the next comes along.....
marcov

Post by marcov »

Cretin Ho wrote:This started to be out of control. Before I quit I kindly remind jj that the 100% disk issue was indeed not caused by the disk not have enough space but because Windows Defender scan the system constantly so the disk is constantly accessed (read/write). The only reliable workaround I know is buying an SSD. But this behavior is of bad software, with too many over-engineering features (well, some will consider those features as needed, e.g: real time protection against virus and malware), it has nothing to do with a binary is small or big at all. This is now a trend, other software does this, too.
As far as windows update goes, I can barely understand how a Windows upgrade can have a 4 core processor at full cpu for 2hrs. Say something like a i7-3770. Probably it is scripted with a lot of polling ? That slowliness is not from natively executed code.

So in short I agree fully. The core problem is that there simply is only the weakest of correlations between size and speed, certainly not linear. Binaries are not fully loaded, and more features also not mean necessarily slower linear with binary size. If you don't use the feature it might not execute at all.