Presentation and questions about freebasic

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
zelda64bit

Presentation and questions about freebasic

Post by zelda64bit »

Hello everyone.

I am Spanish and I know almost nothing of English, that's why I am translating with the google translator.

I've been wanting to learn freebasic for a long time but since the documentation is in English I hadn't dared,I met freebasic on the tilengine forum where someone told me about it, I tried to learn but since I only know the basics of programming and I know almost no English, in the end it was impossible for me to continue learning on my own.

I have learned the basics of python and processing and since what I like is video game programming, I tried with these languages but I found it too difficult and I ended up leaving it.

I have tried some video game engines, but the problem I have is that my computer is old and does not support opengl, it only supports software and direct3d 9. So I would like to know if there is any video game engine to program with freebasic and that works by software or direct3d.

Finally I would like to say that right now I am a little lost and I don't know where to start to learn freebasic, if you can help me start learning freebasic I would appreciate it and I would also like you to recommend me a video game engine that is easy to use so that learning with freebasic is more fun. Besides that what I would like is to program 2d planes games with freebasic.

Greetings to all
Lothar Schirm

Re: Presentation and questions about freebasic

Post by Lothar Schirm »

Hi zelda64bit,
welcome to the forum! I found this link: Programacion en BASIC http://www.nachocabanes.com/basic/#cursos. There are several Cursos de BASIC "clásicos", en modo texto. They are not directly related to FreeBASIC, but as an introduction they might help you to understand also FreeBASIC.
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

Hello Lothar Schirm.

Thank you very much for the help, I will see if this helps me to learn.
Lothar Schirm

Post by Lothar Schirm »

You could also look for tutorials on the german FreeBASIC Portal if you use Google Translate https://www.freebasic-portal.de/tutorials/, especially "FreeBasic-Grundlagen".
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

Thank you very much Lothar Schirm.

This page is great because when translating it only translates the text and the code leaves it in your language, which is perfect.

In the documentation of the official freebasic website everything is translated, the text and the code. If it could be somehow that the example code was not translated, that would be great.

thank you very much again for the help.
thebigh

Post by thebigh »

The translator Firefox addon I use translates "bit" to "un poco", which I think is hilarious.
Lothar Schirm

Post by Lothar Schirm »

"bit" ---> "un poco"? Not so bad! A bit is not much. only 1 or 0
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

Hello again.

I finished studying the tutorials of the German freebasic portal and I am liking this language. Now I would like to know if there are tutorials to know how to program video games with freebasic, because I have no idea where to start.

I would also like to know if there is any framework to facilitate video game programming.

See you soon:)
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@zelda64bit
What types of games do you want to program? Anyone here who has dabbled in using FreeBASIC to program a game could show you how it is done for the simple old style tile based games. I don't think FreeBASIC is suitable for a beginner who wants to write 3d games.
The problem I had with programming games was not the language being used rather it was the need for animated sprites and other image data.
Last edited by BasicCoder2 on Apr 14, 2021 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Old stuff, but still worth a visit: http://games.freebasic.net/basicgaming.php
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

I would like to do these kinds of games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28D6j4vtKiM

I also wanted to comment that my computer is old and does not support opengl, only directx and software.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@zelda64bit

A scrolling shoot up. Very easy to program. The main obstacle for an artistically challenged programmer is the graphics. Does your computer support FreeBasic graphic commands? Does it support 32 bit or 24 bit images? Is the operating system Windows or Linux? Or is it an old MSDOS machine?
caseih

Post by caseih »

zelda64bit wrote:I would like to do these kinds of games.

I also wanted to comment that my computer is old and does not support opengl, only directx and software.
For computers without a GPU-supplied OpenGL dll, MS has always shipped opendl32.dll which implements OpenGL 2 on any computer. It's been around since before Windows XP. Hence OpenGL 2 can work on any Windows computer regardless of hardware age.

If your computer is less than 15 years old I would be very surprised if your graphics card vendor did not provide OpenGL drivers.

But yeah the kind of games you are interested in do not require OpenGL. Just fast 2D.
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

BasicCoder2 wrote:@zelda64bit

A scrolling shoot up. Very easy to program. The main obstacle for an artistically challenged programmer is the graphics. Does your computer support FreeBasic graphic commands? Does it support 32 bit or 24 bit images? Is the operating system Windows or Linux? Or is it an old MSDOS machine?
This is my computer.
-windows 7 ultimate 64 bit sp1
-intel core2 duo t7100 1.80ghz
-2.5gb ram
-Integrated mobile intel 965 express graphics

The graphics are usually downloaded from this page.
https://www.kenney.nl/

I haven't tried the freebasic graphical commands yet, so I was wondering if there was a tutorial to get started.
Last edited by zelda64bit on Apr 16, 2021 9:18, edited 1 time in total.
zelda64bit

Post by zelda64bit »

caseih wrote:
zelda64bit wrote:I would like to do these kinds of games.

For computers without a GPU-supplied OpenGL dll, MS has always shipped opendl32.dll which implements OpenGL 2 on any computer. It's been around since before Windows XP. Hence OpenGL 2 can work on any Windows computer regardless of hardware age.

If your computer is less than 15 years old I would be very surprised if your graphics card vendor did not provide OpenGL drivers.

But yeah the kind of games you are interested in do not require OpenGL. Just fast 2D.
I have tried opengl32.dll, but it is very slow and does not serve me well.
The problem is the drivers, intel does not distribute my card drivers for windows vista and windows 7, so I have to use software or directX.