Is FreeBASIC good for beginners to progrmaming?

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
joeyxl

Is FreeBASIC good for beginners to progrmaming?

Post by joeyxl »

Hello,

sorry for my ignorance, but im newish to programming and have been trying to find a language to learn. I started to learn python but got bored of it for some reason, and wanted to learn somthing else. I was looking at BASIC languages and came by FreeBASIC. Is this a language a beginner can pickup and learn, or is it better for someone more seasoned with programming?
Imortis

Re: Is FreeBASIC good for beginners to progrmaming?

Post by Imortis »

There are not a whole lot of tutorials around to learn from. If you learn well from reading manuals and looking at code, it should be just fine. If you need tutorials and videos to learn, then not so much.
joeyxl

Post by joeyxl »

Thanks for the response.

I found the "A Beginners guide to freeBASIC" by Richard D. Clark & Ebben Feagan and printed it out (yes its alot of pages but i dont like switching between windows and would rather have a hard copy in a binder) and have been following it, and its been alright. It does seem to have some assumptions that you know some things about computer language. I was just wondering if im going to struggle learning this vs another language. sorry if i sound stupid.
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

joeyxl wrote:"A Beginners guide to freeBASIC" by Richard D. Clark & Ebben Feagan
That is pretty okay, however, it's also pretty old.
(Refering to the version of FreeBASIC compiler, they had at their disposal, at the time of writing it.)

There have been plenty enhancements/new features/bugfixes e.t.c. in the meantime.
This means explicitly that not everything today (with a current version) will compile/run without modification.
(I'm just mentioning it, for you not to get desperate, if some example "plays up" in a unexpected manner.)
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

I'd say yes, it's a good langage because it offers a wide range of typology of use. You will find on forum lots of links, libraries (like LZLE), and code exemples. Thus, there will be often someone who will be glad to answer questions.
You'll discover langage alive and active community.
You'll discover a language that allows technical progression.
Cons : it's not very popular and pretty old in its philosophy, few professional uses...
But, intrinsic qualities making it suitable for beginners still there ! :-)
joeyxl

Post by joeyxl »

Thanks for the responces.

I decided that im going to learn QBASIC first, and then if i want more, ill try freeBASIC.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

I respect your choice. Let me suggest you'd rather go directly on structured programming. I think this would be more intuitive using FB
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

I agree with LZ, that going "old style" is in fact a choice, that only costs time, without real benefit.

Todays adviced method is: use FB right from the start (avoid QB detour).
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Not mamy people mention this but I found it very helpful when I started a few years back: FreeBasic Tutorials

For some reason the link does not work as expected. At the left, just below Tutorials, click on FreeBasic.
joeyxl wrote:I decided that im going to learn QBASIC first, and then if i want more, ill try freeBASIC.
I am sorry to say but that is locically flawed.

The better tack is to go for FreeBASIC. You can start of simple and then, if needs be, move on to more advanced stuff. Getting your ideas to work should be your first goal. More advanced stuff may make for a better program but is of little use if you cannot get your idea working in the first place.

Go to the link above and work your way through the Example Programs. If you struggle with any come here for help.
Last edited by deltarho[1859] on Jun 08, 2021 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
joeyxl

Post by joeyxl »

Mabye i was too hasty then. the link above doesn't work for some reason.
fxm

Post by fxm »

In any case I prefer the FreeBASIC Manual (official documentation on Wiki).
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@joeyxl

When you get to the site the page will be blank so,

deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

The FreeBASIC Manual is a little 'dry' for raw beginners and some examples leave a lot to be desired. Often I will look at an example and wonder what it has to do with the topic in hand.
fxm

Post by fxm »

deltarho[1859] wrote:The FreeBASIC Manual... Often I will look at an example and wonder what it has to do with the topic in hand.
This is your personal opinion which I think is not shared with many other users.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

fxm wrote:This is your personal opinion which I think is not shared with many other users.
It is not an opinion. Some examples don't even use the keyword that I navigated to.

Next time that I find one like that I will draw your attention to it.

It seems to me that a lot of effort has gone into the description of a keyword but very much less with the examples.