Is FreeBASIC good for beginners to progrmaming?

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
deltarho[1859]

Re: Is FreeBASIC good for beginners to progrmaming?

Post by deltarho[1859] »

joeyxl wrote:That's why im not copying his version at all.
Not needed right now but ...

I have a shortcut on my desktop to a folder full of code snippets. The snippets are there for many reasons: Neat tricks from the forum, short code rarely used but useful all the same, and so on. I could call the folder Snippets or Misc, but I just call it Notes. Image
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

joeyxl wrote:... That's why im not copying his version at all.
However the ability to use types as objects is something you might want in the future. There is a reason such paradigms exist which will become clearer if you keep up with writing code.

I personally live in the retro past so I tend to use FreeBASIC as a souped-up version of QBASIC. This means I keep the functions and the data separate.

Even so, I still have an understanding of OOP and have a FreeBASIC OOP examples folder for things like MrSwiss's state of the art examples for reference. A lot of computer languages are object orientated including code written in the Python language.
joeyxl

Post by joeyxl »

BasicCoder2 wrote:
joeyxl wrote:... That's why im not copying his version at all.
However the ability to use types as objects is something you might want in the future. There is a reason such paradigms exist which will become clearer if you keep up with writing code.

I personally live in the retro past so I tend to use FreeBASIC as a souped-up version of QBASIC. This means I keep the functions and the data separate.

Even so, I still have an understanding of OOP and have a FreeBASIC OOP examples folder for things like MrSwiss's state of the art examples for reference. A lot of computer languages are object orientated including code written in the Python language.
The reason i didn't copy the code is because i want to figure it out myself. I agree with the statement in keeping functions and data separate, im just still learning on how to write those functions and subroutines by trying to understand the way FB help explains it and how i can implement it.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@BasicCoder2

You are now drifting well off-topic and I should not think that joeyxl, or anybody else for that matter, are the slightest bit interested in your living in the retro past. joeyxl is new to programming, so probably has no idea what QBASIC or OOP are.

This thread now has 1855 views and 91 replies. I think that this a good time for all of us to back off and let joeyxl get on with his new-found hobby.

A bit blunt? So, what is new already? Image
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

@joeyxl. Please don't hesitate to re-open this topic or open a new one including code (or not) any time you decide, especially if you have questions. You may also post on dedicated or related topics.
dixiony

Post by dixiony »

1. It is a very bad idea to study by reference to the language. You need to learn from examples, and not sequentially studying variables, types, loops, conditions, function, procedures, and so on. You will spend a lot of time on this.
2. It is good practice to convert your code from one language to another. For example, from the Processing language to the FreeBasic language. There is a great free book on the Processing language, The Nature of Code (https://natureofcode.com/book/), start with simple examples and try to make your code work in FreeBasic.
3. Also, an excellent example is the site http://www.rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code, which contains examples of code in 836(!!!) programming languages, including FreeBasic. Choose Explore -> Languages ​​in the menu, find FreeBasic and go!