REDIM PRESERVE does not destroy the right array elements of a multidimensional array -> memory leak

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
dodicat

Re: REDIM PRESERVE does not destroy the right array elements of a multidimensional array -> memory leak

Post by dodicat »

From the help file
"If there are multiple dimensions, only the upper bound of only the first dimension may be changed safely. If the first dimension is reduced, the existing mappable data may be lost. If lower-order dimensions are resized at all, the effects can be hard to predict (because multidimensional arrays are stored in row-major order : values differing only in the last index are contiguous)."

I take from that -- don't bother with redim preserve in >=2D arrays.

So a few years ago I made up a cheesy method for preserving a 2D matrix of components which I want to expand or reduce.
I don't think anything in fbc-int/array.bi would be of help here.
Cheesy method:

Code: Select all

#macro redimpreserve(a,d1,d2)
Scope
    Redim As Typeof(a) copy(d1,d2)
    For x as long =d1
        For y as long =d2
            If x>=Lbound(a,1) And x<=Ubound(a,1) Then
                If y>=Lbound(a,2) And y<=Ubound(a,2) Then   
                    copy(x,y)=a(x,y)
                End If
            End If
        Next y
    Next x
    Redim a(d1,d2)
    For x as long= d1
        For y as long=d2
            a(x,y)=copy(x,y)
        Next y
    Next x
End Scope
#endmacro
'==================  helpers only for demo ====================
#macro printout(d)
scope
print "(";Lbound(d,2);" to";Ubound(d,2);" ,";Lbound(d,1);" to "; Ubound(d,1);")"+chr(10)
dim as long ct
For n As Long=Lbound(d,1) To Ubound(d,1)
    ct=0
    For m As Long=Lbound(d,2) To Ubound(d,2)
        ct+=5
        #if typeof(d)=string
       print "'";d(n,m);"'";tab(ct);
    #else
        Print d(n,m);tab(ct);
        #endif
    Next m
    Print
Next n 
Print
end scope
#endmacro

sub setstring(s() as string)
dim as long k,i,j
For i  = lbound(s,1) To ubound(s,1)
    For j  = lbound(s,2) To ubound(s,2)
        if s(i,j)="" then s(i, j) = chr(65+k)
        k+=1
    Next j
Next i
end sub

screen 21
Redim Shared As Double d(1 To 2,3)

d(1,0)=1:d(1,1)=2:d(1,2)=3:d(1,3)=4
d(2,0)=5:d(2,1)=6:d(2,2)=7:d(2,3)=8

printout(d)

redimpreserve(d,-2 To 5,-3 To 7)
printout(d)

redimpreserve(d,0 To 5,0 To 7)               
printout(d)

redim as string s(3,4)
setstring(s())
printout(s)

redimpreserve(s,0 to 5,0 to 6)
printout(s)
print "Fill the empties"

setstring(s())
printout(s)
redimpreserve(s,0 to 4,0 to 5)
printout(s)
print "done"

sleep

Lost Zergling

Re: REDIM PRESERVE does not destroy the right array elements of a multidimensional array -> memory leak

Post by Lost Zergling »

Another approach would be to ask as few redim and redim preserve as possible. As soon as myarray(8,2) is taking same mem space as myarray(2,8), it should be possible to substitute. Such operation may be 'logically' performed, by index translation, but a tool like lzae also provide a custom parser as well as an alternate solution for in memory var-size processing tasks around arrays. It should work till the global array is not fragmented in memory, my few tests did not show underlying fragmentation on an array.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

I think, maybe the leak could find its source into string descriptors as soon as / only when (?) they need heavy memory processes (allocations and deallocations), or say, as soon as they are competing in speed against the main program/instance they are issued from. Then the reallocations of the descriptors seems to behaves as a fragmentation issue (link between speed & leaks). The reason why I switched from strings to zstrings inside lzle listnodes (define 'tagmode'), and then many leaks issues vanished. I think maybe a related issue.
fxm

Post by fxm »

In the examples I gave above, there are errors in both the number and the locations of elements to destroy.

Yet the rule is simple:

For a dynamic array, if the total number of elements required by REDIM PRESERVE is reduced by "N" elements compared to the total number of existing elements, the last "N" elements of the existing array must be destroyed before reallocating memory for the new array.

Then, the only difficulty is to correctly calculate the address zone of the elements to be destroyed:
- The address of the last element of the array (before resizing) is easy to calculate with the information in the array descriptor (any ptr: base_ptr, uinteger: size, uinteger: element_len).
Last element address: base_ptr + size - element_len
- So it suffices to destroy the "N" elements by going up:

Dim As FBC.FBARRAY Ptr p = FBC.ArrayDescriptorPtr(array())
For X As Integer = 1 To N
    Cptr(Typeof(array) Ptr, p->base_ptr + p->size - p->element_len * X)->Destructor()
Next X
fxm

Post by fxm »

In the second example of my first post ('In this infinite loop, the used memory increases regularly until inducing an run-time error 4 (out of memory)'), if I manually destroy the last 5*6-4*5 strings before array size reduction (from 5*6 to 4*5 strings), there is no longer a memory leak:

Declare Sub fillArray(array(Any, Any) As String)

Dim As String array(Any, Any)

Do
    Redim Preserve array(4, 5)
    fillArray(array())

Dim As Integer N = (5 * 6) - (4 * 5)
    Dim As String Ptr ps = @array(0, 0)
    For I As Integer = (5 * 6 - 1) To (5 * 6 - 1) - (N - 1) Step -1  '' destroy the last 5*6-4*5 strings of the array
        ps[I] = ""
    Next I

Redim Preserve array(3, 4)
    fillArray(array())
Loop

Sub fillArray(array(Any, Any) As String)
    For I As Integer = 0 To Ubound(array, 1)
        For J As Integer = 0 To Ubound(array, 2)
            array(I, J) = Str(10 * I + J)
        Next J
    Next I
End Sub
fxm

Post by fxm »

Lost Zergling wrote:It should work till the global array is not fragmented in memory, my few tests did not show underlying fragmentation on an array.
The direct elements of an array are always consecutive in memory. However, they can address other data that can be disjoint in memory.
For example for an array of strings, the direct elements are the string descriptors which are consecutively well ordered in memory. But these address their string character data which are by cons generally disjoint blocks in memory.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Bug of element destruction for a 2D array (deduced from all my tests):
- The wrong number of destroyed elements "D" seems to be equal to the size of the second dimension (before resizing) multiplied by the size difference of the first dimension between before and after resizing.
- The wrong first element destroyed seems to be deduced from the first of the "D" last elements (of the array before resizing) but by dividing its absolute index (0-based) by the number of elements of the second dimension (before resizing).
fxm

Post by fxm »

@Jeff,

I just see your commit about this bug (https://github.com/freebasic/fbc/commit ... 8ed78d1bd0).
I have a remark about the add in changelog.txt:
- ./inc/fbc-int/array.bi - add fb.ArrayLen( array ) function to return total number of elements in an array (computed from size and element length)
- ./inc/fbc-int/array.bi - add fb.ArraySize( array ) function to return total size of an array in bytes (computed from dimensions and element length)
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Your remarks are correct. I'll update the changelog next opportunity I get.

I had an earlier version I was testing that did compute the size from dimensions and element length to match the legacy code calculation. Unless I've missed some detail, we should be able to safely use size and element length from the descriptor.

ArrayLength = array->size / array->element_len
ArraySize = array->size

I'll update the changelog next opportunity I get.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

I think maybe I get it, probably much more simpler than what I might have imaginated.
When writing :

Type ListNode
    Public :
	Dim s as string
End Type

Dim As ListNode Ptr lp = CAllocate (Len(listNode))
lp->s="Titi"
Deallocate lp
? "Just descriptor deallocated, 'Titi' not deallocated ?"  'Because lp is just a pointer. 
sleep
What would be the correct way for deallocating the string itself ? (if any)
It might be usefull for me testing multi-mode allocation (strings vs zstrings), so having a 'reliable' string mode regarding leaks.
Last edited by Lost Zergling on Nov 28, 2021 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
fxm

Post by fxm »

coderJeff wrote:Your remarks are correct. I'll update the changelog next opportunity I get.

I had an earlier version I was testing that did compute the size from dimensions and element length to match the legacy code calculation. Unless I've missed some detail, we should be able to safely use size and element length from the descriptor.

ArrayLength = array->size / array->element_len
ArraySize = array->size

I'll update the changelog next opportunity I get.
OK.

You can even use an integer division:
ArrayLength = array->size \ array->element_len
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Lost Zergling wrote:What would be the correct way for deallocating the string itself ?
A newly created string descriptor must be initialized to zero, as is the case in your example using callocate().

Set the string to empty "" to release the string data allocation before deallocating the string descriptor.

'' allocate a null string
dim x as string
print strptr(x)

'' allocate memory for a string
x = "hello"
print strptr(x)

'' set to null string to deallocate the string
x = ""
print strptr(x)
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

Ok, Thank you Jeff. Honestly, I hoped there was another solution, I though maybe I went wrong way.
I will do some more tests. Thanks.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I thought you wanted to recover the string character data memory after deallocating the descriptor memory!

Type ListNode
    Public :
   Dim s as string
End Type

' allocate only memory for a ListNode instance (only a null string descriptor contained)
Dim As ListNode Ptr lp = CAllocate (Len(listNode))

' construct a string
lp->s="Titi"

' memorize a pointer to the string characters data (before deallocating the descriptor memory)
Dim As Zstring Ptr pz = Strptr(lp->s)

' deallocate the memory for the ListNode instance (for the descriptor)
Deallocate lp
? "Just descriptor deallocated, 'Titi' not deallocated ?"

' use the "Titi" zstring (but increase its len is forbidden)
Print *pz
*pz = "Toto"
Print *pz

' deallocate the memory for the zstring characters data
'(this work, but it's not a very safe method)
Deallocate pz
Sleep
fxm

Post by fxm »