Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
jj2007
Posts: 2327
Joined: Oct 23, 2016 15:28
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by jj2007 »

UEZ wrote:It is difficult to explain to the security officer that these are just false positives.
Point him to the AV s*t list
Munair
Posts: 1274
Joined: Oct 19, 2017 15:00
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by Munair »

The advantage of good Linux distro's is their package management systems, which allow for safe software package installation from the repository by means of key verification. In the many years that I use Linux, I have never installed a firewall much less antivirus software. Linux is very superior to Windows on many levels. The only reason Windows still dominates the consumer (desktop) market is because of their strong ties with hardware companies almost exclusively delivering Windows and Mac drivers, simply because Linux is mostly a non-commercial OS.
aurelVZAB
Posts: 590
Joined: Jul 02, 2008 14:55
Location: [url]https://aurelsoft.ucoz.com[/url]
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by aurelVZAB »

The reason why Windows still dominates
is 100000 of great applications including
games
audio video processoring
programming languages
CAD sofware
etc
etc..
etc.......

Linux is toy os + new versions are bloated and slow + resource hungry

back to AV
so Purebasic compiled exe is also under falsers
damn McAfee is a total shiit ..and MalwareBytes too
caseih
Posts: 1970
Joined: Feb 26, 2007 5:32

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by caseih »

marcov wrote:Yeah, hostile to users is considered a feature on Linux it seems. ;-)
Sadly my latest experiences with Windows seem to indicate an active hostility towards users also. And actually macOS, iOS, and Android are all very hostile to users, at least the kind of user I am. They tend to act like the computer belongs to them, not me.

Last few Windows 10 installs I've done were real fights. One I wanted to upgrade Windows 8.1 home to Windows 10 and then subsequently upgrade to Pro since I have a 10-computer license. Oh wow. It turned out to be possible, but was not easy and involves things like registry hacks and unplugging the ethernet at just the right moment. But I did get it relicensed and activated after about four hours.

The latest battle was the other evening. Windows 7 pro laptop, which Lenovo considers compatible with Windows 10. Upgrade installer would not run. Strange crashes, obscure messages. No workaround succeeded. Finally decided to nuke an pave, but no matter what I tried, the laptop would not recognize the usb stick as bootable. Didn't seem to like a GPT USB drive. Finally I was able to use the awesome Ventoy usb booter to boot a Windows 10 ISO. However 20H2 refused to start. Blue screened. But I was able to use 1909, and got it installed finally after many hours of fighting. Windows update got it up to 20H2 and it's booting and running fine, so no idea why it didn't like the ISO. Anyway, I've spent so many hours on this that I just need to vent!
Munair
Posts: 1274
Joined: Oct 19, 2017 15:00
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by Munair »

aurelVZAB wrote:The reason why Windows still dominates
is 100000 of great applications
Actually, it's the other way around. Software is mostly written for Windows because it is the mostly used desktop OS, which is primarily thanks to MS aggressive marketing strategy and because it SELLS. But looking at Debian, its repo covers some 60.000+ packages. Other distro's are well under way.
Linux is toy os + new versions are bloated and slow + resource hungry
If one is not used to Linux then it may seem like less mature than Windows or Mac, but those who dive deeper into the Linux experience will soon find out how much more powerful (customizable) the OS actually is. And it's definitely more user friendly (no installation hazzle, no key, no licenses, no forced passport account etc).

Speaking of installation, most distro's are just over 2GB (ISO file) and they often include a full Office suite. After installation Linux occupies some 4 GB. Compare that to Windows 10 (15 GB). Also, try to install the latest Windows on a 15 years old desktop. It won't work! By comparison, I managed to install and run Manjaro Linux x64 on a 2003 AMD. Take the latest Debian 32bits version and you can install it on an old 32 bits machine (I got two machines running). So if you claim that Linux is resource hungry, I think you should take those words and direct them at Windows.
back to AV
so Purebasic compiled exe is also under falsers
damn McAfee is a total shiit ..and MalwareBytes too
That's purely a Windows problem. As stated before. executables built with less known languages may suffer from this problem more often. Another reason to switch to Linux? -;)
aurelVZAB
Posts: 590
Joined: Jul 02, 2008 14:55
Location: [url]https://aurelsoft.ucoz.com[/url]
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by aurelVZAB »

From my point of view
there is no any good reason to switch to Linux in any case.
I hate when i must everytime use stupid terminal
problems with drivers ,wifi, keyboard,resolution,installation
what kind of OS don't know what is his own executable or binary file (app)
yes Linux is that one

but i don't want to wasting my time here about Linux
this topic is about AV...
aurelVZAB
Posts: 590
Joined: Jul 02, 2008 14:55
Location: [url]https://aurelsoft.ucoz.com[/url]
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by aurelVZAB »

Hi JJ
i finally find your post on MASM forum
so i have a right about

Malwarebytes
McAfee
and unfortunatelly Kaspersky free is also on list
when i used it with ZoneAlarm suite(Kaspersky free inside )
then there is no problem but when i used it as separate then i get false positives
and tend to remove new fresh compiled programs
aurelVZAB
Posts: 590
Joined: Jul 02, 2008 14:55
Location: [url]https://aurelsoft.ucoz.com[/url]
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by aurelVZAB »

And yes Bitdefender is another scam ..so don't use it .

I agree here with Huch
[quote]We probably have a different view on this subject, Microsoft publish the 32 and 64 bit portable executable specifications and if an AV company does not fully understand these specifications, they should get off their arse and learn them[/quote]
paul doe
Moderator
Posts: 1631
Joined: Jul 25, 2017 17:22
Location: Argentina

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by paul doe »

aurelVZAB wrote:...
and tend to remove new fresh compiled programs
Virtually every AV on the planet has the ability to whitelist folders, precisely for this purpose (mine is C:\Programming). So, create a folder where you'll do every programming you'd need, whitelist it, and you won't have any kind of troubles compiling and running programs from that specific folder. Just don't do it from all over the place...
jj2007
Posts: 2327
Joined: Oct 23, 2016 15:28
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by jj2007 »

paul doe wrote:Virtually every AV on the planet has the ability to whitelist folders, precisely for this purpose (mine is C:\Programming). So, create a folder where you'll do every programming you'd need, whitelist it, and you won't have any kind of troubles compiling and running programs from that specific folder. Just don't do it from all over the place...
This is good advice, Paul. And it works, of course, but it doesn't cover the case of small software companies wanting to sell their products. IMHO this is the real scandal: that independent coders get excluded from the market by crappy AV software.

My own software gets always flagged by AV software: it's coded in Assembly. No chance, it simply doesn't look like Java or C++ under the hood, so the heuristic scanners shout foul. I couldn't care less because it's my hobby, not my business.
aurelVZAB
Posts: 590
Joined: Jul 02, 2008 14:55
Location: [url]https://aurelsoft.ucoz.com[/url]
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by aurelVZAB »

Virtually every AV on the planet has the ability to whitelist folders, precisely for this purpose (mine is C:\Programming).
Sounds great in theory ,and yes i already do that when i have Kaspersky ....
but after 30 min or more , real time protection jump again....
Now i reinstalled my old ZoneAlarm suite and all work well...

Yes JJ have right it is a scam and unfair BS
paul doe
Moderator
Posts: 1631
Joined: Jul 25, 2017 17:22
Location: Argentina

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by paul doe »

jj2007 wrote:This is good advice, Paul. And it works, of course, but it doesn't cover the case of small software companies wanting to sell their products. IMHO this is the real scandal: that independent coders get excluded from the market by crappy AV software.
I can see the point, yes. It's been some years since I've stopped using AV software for this very reason. Most modern OSes (yes, even Windows) don't really need it if you know what you're doing...
caseih
Posts: 1970
Joined: Feb 26, 2007 5:32

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by caseih »

Hmm, your assertion about the OS and not knowing its own exes is a bizarre one.

Anyway it's hard to separate the AV issue from a Windows problem. All you can do is either stop running the AV (certainly stop using any third party ones), white list the EXE or folder, or submit the exes to the virus companies as false positives until the algorithm learns. From what I can remember this has been an on-going issue with Windows for over a decade, and lots of niche languages run into it.

Question for you. Does using the gcc backend result in the same issue compared to the assembly back end? My theory is that due to optimizations in C compilers, the patterns of machine code will be different than FB's assembler output because FB does very little optimization, so perhaps the patterns look more hand made, which according to the AI may make it seem more like malicious code it has seen that used hand-crafted assembler sequences. Although I've never heard jj complain that Windows defender eats his MASM-generated exes.
jj2007
Posts: 2327
Joined: Oct 23, 2016 15:28
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by jj2007 »

caseih wrote:Although I've never heard jj complain that Windows defender eats his MASM-generated exes.
I have stopped using AV software permanently some years ago. Every now and then I do a manual scan, and never had problems. You simply need to know where you are surfing, and which exes you allow to run. However, I remember that Windows defender was indeed less prone to bark at my software.
aurelVZAB
Posts: 590
Joined: Jul 02, 2008 14:55
Location: [url]https://aurelsoft.ucoz.com[/url]
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 defender don't like this short program

Post by aurelVZAB »

@caseih
please ..stop to patronize ..i am not from yesterday
i using pc windows from 2001 and i see many craps all over freakin internet
if you are so called Linux user ..aka Fan.aka geek ..freak ...
most of others are still Windows users ..users of frekin the best os ever created for
freakin pc ,,,sooo?

all of you linux users are junkers ...you use Windows before i can bet in that
Post Reply