IDE for Android?

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
N3trunn3r

IDE for Android?

Post by N3trunn3r »

I installed FB on TurboDOSBox on my Android-Smartphone :) works really nice!
Currently I'm using the native Android text-editor in Cyanogenmod to edit my .bas files, then I compile it in DOSBox on my phone, works really nice.

It would be more convenient to have a real IDE, or at least something that has syntax highlight and preferentially autocomplete.
I found several C++and Java IDE's but I don't know if they are any good for FB, I can write my own set of syntax to highlight but I don't know which IDE supports this.

Anyone has experience with this? Preferably Open-source.
Last edited by N3trunn3r on Feb 10, 2016 19:26, edited 2 times in total.
MrSwiss

Re: IDE for Android?

Post by MrSwiss »

Anyone has experience with this? Preferably Open-source.
No experience, but Notepad++ is an Open-Source Editor with Highlighting for a lot of Programming-Languages.
It offers to add your own if so desired (or currently missing). It has VB which is close to FB (but NOT FB).
N3trunn3r

Post by N3trunn3r »

I got Notepad++... for Windows and there is no port for Android or any GNU/*nix OS. I'm looking for an IDE that I can use on the Android OS on my smartphone ;)
St_W

Post by St_W »

I doubt that there is any editor for Android which supports FreeBasic syntax highlighting. However, there exist general (code)editors for Android like "Jota+" and "DroidEdit".

Btw, Why would you want to do that on Android anyway? I'd suggest to either install a different (more suitable) operating system or use a different device for the tasks you want to accomplish.
Development FOR Android typically never happens ON Android, but on usual Windows/Mac/Linux machines.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

St_W wrote:Development FOR Android typically never happens ON Android
I think I know what's the intention here. FB can not only be used for development, but also as a calculator, or script language. This is of course a thing very required on Android where you can not do anything without downloading a third-party apps on google-store.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Tourist Trap wrote:
St_W wrote:Development FOR Android typically never happens ON Android
I think I know what's the intention here. FB can not only be used for development, but also as a calculator, or script language. This is of course a thing very required on Android where you can not do anything without downloading a third-party apps on google-store.
For doing calculations I'd suggest using a calculator app (there are hundreds out there). For scripting task I would recommend a scripting language instead of FB (which needs to compile sources first) (e.g. the app: "FASL - Scripting Language").
N3trunn3r

Post by N3trunn3r »

I just wanted to do it for the fun of it :) Being able to write FreeBASIC programs while waiting for the buss is just nice 8)

I figured DroidEdit works really nice with FB.
St_W

Post by St_W »

N3trunn3r wrote:I just wanted to do it for the fun of it :) Being able to write FreeBASIC programs while waiting for the buss is just nice 8)
Ok, so I guess you have some device with bigger screen and (bluetooth) keyboard? I wouldn't want to code on a touchscreen keyboard ...
Btw, there also Intel-based tablets/convertibles for less than $100 available that do run Windows and allow using the win32/win64 version of FreeBasic. Sometimes they even have both (x86)Android and Windows installed. I guess such a device (with e.g. a bluetooth keyboard) would be more suitable for programming.

Btw, there are also open-source editors, like the following one, which can be extended such that it will allow FB syntax highlighting. Of course that requires some work and Android/Java programming skills.
https://github.com/vmihalachi/turbo-editor