FBIDE

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
albert

FBIDE

Post by albert »

@everyone

Has anyone else had the problem with computer slow down , after running a program in FBIDE multiple times???

Modifying the program and rerunning it several dozen to hundreds of times.. My computer slows way down...
The only remedy is to logout and log back in.. To regain the speed..

With FBIDE running in Linux... I keep having to log out and log back in every couple hours...

I think that FBIDE has a memory leak or lack of garbage collection.. Requiring a logout to clear the memory..
counting_pine
Site Admin

Re: FBIDE

Post by counting_pine »

How are you running FBIDE through Linux? Is this through Wine, or some kind of native build?
Perhaps the programs are not finishing properly. This might happen if you had Sleep at the end, but the program wasn’t showing in a console.
If you run 'ps aux' in a terminal, you might see lots of copies of the same program running with your program name, or 'fbidetemp'. You might be able to kill them all with 'killall fbidetemp', or maybe 'kill $(pidof fbidetemp)'.
Otherwise, it’s hard to say without more information.
albert

Post by albert »

@counting_pine

If i compile and run , i have no problem..

It's when i hit "Quick-Run" over and over for a a half hour or more.. The whole computer slows way down...
I have to logout and back in to regain the normal speed.

Modify the code and quick-run... Too many times and it slows the whole computer down...

So somehow FBIDE doesn't reclaim all the memory that was used in the quick-run...
Too many quick-runs and it bogs down....
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Bear in mind that FBIDE has not seen any development for a long, long time, so anything you report is very unlikely to ever be fixed..
If you can verify that FBIDE itself is hogging the memory, then you should be able to Kill the process to free up the memory without logging out.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Hi Albert.
I have been using fbide since fb began almost, I think you are the same.
No problems like that on windows.
Remember that quick run creates fbidetemp.bas and fbidetemp.exe.
Do you check your fbide folder
. . .FBIde0.4.6r4\FBIde0.4.6r4, this is where these two files will be if you quick run from the clipboard (testing forum code for example).
Or in the folder of your source code if not.
Does Wine properly delete fbidetemp.exe each run at it's location?
If you are using graphics then you must screenunlock if you screenlock, even if you come out of a graphics loop, make sure you screenunlock.
Example, I use an automatic destructor to unlock the screen even if you click off the console (terminal), but you should do it in the loop in code.

Code: Select all

screen 12

do
    screenlock
    locate 5
    print time
    print "Press escape to end"
    if inkey=chr(27) then exit do
    screenunlock
    sleep 10
loop 

sub unlockit destructor
    screenunlock
    beep
    print "Unlocked"
    sleep 1000
end sub

You used to use Windows, why did you change to Linux?
albert

Post by albert »

Sometimes on Linux , i have to open a terminal and run "top"

In "top" you scroll with the up / down arrows to get the process to the top of the list..
Then you can hit "k" and then press the enter button twice to kill the process. FBIDETEMP.EXE

But that's not the problem...
For some reason , after a "quick-run" and normal program exit , it leaves some remnants in memory... Not clearing out the programs memory it used..

After about a half hour or so of "quick-run" and exit.. the memory gets so full , the computer slows way down..
The only remedy is to logout and back in...

Maybe no one else has noticed it , because they aren't modifying and rerunning over and over and over again for long periods of time....

Working on data-compression , i keep modifying the code , and relaunching it over and over and over..Trying every zany idea i conm up with..
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

There probably aren’t many people running FBIDE under Linux.
Does top indicate that the memory is being consumed by any other process?
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I read somewhere that you should killall with wine.

$ wine myfile.exe

$ killall myfile.exe
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

albert wrote:It's when i hit "Quick-Run" over and over for a a half hour or more..
Modify the code and quick-run... Too many times and it slows the whole computer down...
I only use 'Quick Run' with code copied and pasted from the forum or to test a proof of concept snippet with something that I am working on. For every else I compile and run.
If i compile and run , i have no problem..
So do that then.

It may be an issue with FBIDE. If other FBIDE users gave 'Quick Run' a hammering then they may get the same problem.

Just use 'Quick Run' sparingly.

Remember:
Patient: Doctor it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Well, don't do it then.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I am doing "Quick Run" all the time with FBIde without any problem, but I am on Windows.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Since you are on Linux Albert, why don't you use fbc Linux with geany ide or poseidon ide or similar?