version 1.04 DOS compile error

DOS specific questions.
Gablea

version 1.04 DOS compile error

Post by Gablea »

hi everyone,

before i upgraded to version 1.04 for Windows and DOS I could cross complie but now when I complie for dos i get this

C:\Program Files\FreeBASIC\fbc -arch 386 -target DOS "NPoS.bas"
Assembler messages:
Error: can't open NPoS.asm for reading: Permission denied (EACCES)

what have I done to make this?

Andy
MrSwiss

Re: version 1.04 DOS compile error

Post by MrSwiss »

Difficult to say ... it appears that:
  1. the .asm file is output
  2. but can't be opened by compiler
  3. or maybe linker
In order to generate more in depth information:
compile with the -verbose option to help pinpoint the problem.
Thereafter post the generated output here ...
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

hello Gablea
looks like a permissions problem, have you recently upgraded to windows 7, 8 or 10 ?
if so, may I suggest that you install FreeBASIC in say C:\dev\FreeBASIC to avoid those pesky permission problems.
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

@srvaldez

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 It worked fine in Windows 7. I will uninstall it and reinstall it onto a folder like you recommenced and try that.
Gablea

Post by Gablea »

Dear All,

Thanks for your help. By moving the compiler into a folder on its its own it worked first time

I installed it to c:\Compilers\Freebasic\DOS\ and the application created first time :)

Thanks to all who advised me with this

Andy
MichaelW

Post by MichaelW »

You should expect problems compiling a source file anywhere in Program Files or Program Files (x86) because the directories are write protected. Your source files should be in a directory where you have write permission, normally an appropriate subdirectory of Users.
rugxulo

Post by rugxulo »

srvaldez wrote:hello Gablea
looks like a permissions problem, have you recently upgraded to windows 7, 8 or 10 ?
if so, may I suggest that you install FreeBASIC in say C:\dev\FreeBASIC to avoid those pesky permission problems.
It's always a bad idea to use "C:\dev" with DJGPP:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/v2faq/faq22_21.html
Q: All DJGPP programs cannot find files in the d:\dev directory, but work okay in other directories. What is going on here??

Q: I installed DJGPP in the e:/dev/djgpp, and it doesn't work!

A: This is an unfortunate side-effect of the special treatment given to the \dev directory on each drive. DJGPP transparently supports Unix-style devices such as /dev/null and /dev/tty, so that programs ported from Unix that refer to these devices will work. Unfortunately, due to a half-hearted way DOS and Windows support devices, the DJGPP library must treat the \dev directory specially. The net effect is that if you have a real directory by that name, you will get erratic behavior.

A work-around is either to rename the \dev directory to some other name, like \devel, or move it down the directory hierarchy, for example make it d:\software\dev. (The special treatment is only reserved to the \dev directories immediately under the root of every drive.)