FB for the Mac

Linux specific questions.
Sigord

FB for the Mac

Post by Sigord »

Has anyone managed to get a Mac PC to run a FB Linux program?

Wikie seems to claim the Mac run more that one type of Linux as below.

The modern Mac, like other personal computers, is capable of running alternative operating systems such as Linux, OpenBSD, and, in the case of Intel-based Macs, Microsoft Windows with the aid of Boot Camp. Apple does not license OS X for use on non-Apple computers, though it did for a short time through their official Macintosh clone licensing program from 1995 to 1997.
marcov

Re: FB for the Mac

Post by marcov »

I assume if you get a LInux installed on a x86 Mac, it works just like a x86 linux on PC. Just the hardware drivers are (partially) Mac specific.
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

I think there has been at least one experimental OS X port of fbc, but it was a long time ago. If you mean running freebasic on Linux atop Apple's hardware, yeah, it's possible just as with any normal PC. I ran Ubuntu on a macbook for a couple years, and all the normal programs (like freebasic) ran fine.
Sigord

Post by Sigord »

Thanks as there are many using a Mac in our local Yahoo Arts Group.

So I presume since my FB Linux Programs works with Knoppix, Slackware Puppy, Mint and presumably Ubunto, it should work on a Mac if anyone installs such Linux on a Mac?
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Of course they will. Also, on mac you can install windows, too, so you can both run windows and linux version of your program.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Also there is wine for MACOSX. You can use that to run the windows version of your programs on mac.
leodescal

FB on the Mac is possible

Post by leodescal »

Yes it is very much possible to compile FreeBASIC even on MacOS X running upon an Intel Mac. I currently have a OSX box, I'll compile latest FreeBASIC and make OS X binaries available :)
PublioMaro_Virgilivs

Re: FB on the Mac is possible

Post by PublioMaro_Virgilivs »

leodescal wrote:Yes it is very much possible to compile FreeBASIC even on MacOS X running upon an Intel Mac. I currently have a OSX box, I'll compile latest FreeBASIC and make OS X binaries available :)
So... What happened? Does FreeBASIC exist for MacOS?
caseih

Post by caseih »

If you search the forum (I use Google to do that) you should find some references to FB on Mac. There were some posts this summer.

Maybe this has info: viewtopic.php?t=28640