Debian use Full screen

Linux specific questions.
Dinosaur

Debian use Full screen

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

Spending half my day trying to find a solution to this.
I am connecting a 7" lcd to a Beaglebone Black to use as an interface to Smart Plugs & Bulbs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QL ... UTF8&psc=1
The lcd is 1024x600 touch screen which generally works well.
Mind you the active area of the screen is offset to the left, leaving a black area to the right.???
HOWEVER, I can't seem to get rid of the window manager's top header bar (whatever you call it)
I need to use the full 1024x600 area for my application.
My application (using CGUI) has it's own header bar (or whatever you call it) so you can see two header bars
using up about 80 pixels of height.

I can't do nothing about the CGUI header bar but the question is:
What role does FB play in "Claiming" the full screen for the application.?

Have tried -s gui and -s console, have even tried locating my window at -20 pixels, but anything I locate at
a specific location does seem to be located relative to 0,0 of the screen. So the screen moves up, but the item located
at x,y stays at x,y. Note that the FB graphics library is NOT involved.

I simply need my application to take over the complete screen, regardless of the window manager or console
from which the application was started.

Any constructive suggestions appreciated.

Regards
TJF

Re: Debian use Full screen

Post by TJF »

The window manager decorates the window with a title bar, rezise controls, etc. The GUI library should have a function to disable this.

I don't know CGUI, but in GTK it's function gtk_window_set_decorated ().

Regards
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

TJF, thanks for the response and apologies for the late reply. (the site going down and me being busy)

The window manager is in Lxqt and is XFWM4.
I have investigated all possible settings and tweaks.
But because I can't do nothing about the cgui header, I have named the headers the same and moved
my application to -30 pixels which makes it look like the header belongs to cgui ???
It is a pain though, as I re-color the header from Green to Red during Errors or faults, which is not visible now.

It is interesting though that I can't take control of the full screen.
It is like buying a car and not being allowed to open the trunk (boot in australia)

Regards
TJF

Post by TJF »

Hi!

I developed and tested the following application with undecorated full screen under LXQT: http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=21379

I'm sure the window manager supports this feature. Your issue seems to be caused by a weak GUI library.

Regards
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

I will study your example , however I disagree on your cgui comment.
If I place a window at 0,0 then I expect the Window Manager to place my screen @ 0,0 Not at 0,30 which is what is happening.
Basically the window manager is re-defining the coordinates.

Additionally I can set all the options to try to hide the Title Bar on the window manager,
however each application that I have tried ends up being @ 0,30.

Regards
TJF

Post by TJF »

Dinosaur wrote:If I place a window at 0,0 then I expect the Window Manager to place my screen @ 0,0 Not at 0,30 which is what is happening.
Basically the window manager is re-defining the coordinates.
Sure! The GUI library doesn't know about how many monitors the computer is using, how big they are and how they're placed relative to each other. So the GUI library can only suggest a position, and the window manager may have to override it.

It depends on the quality of the GUI library how powerful it can force its suggestions, and how good the user gets informed about any trouble.

Regards
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

Thank you TJF for that explanation, so I looked further.
Found this:
https://www.xfce-look.org/content/show. ... ent=140039
No borders theme for xfwm4 window manager.
Works great, takes a bit of time to get used to, but now (knowing the cgui weakness) I have
initialised my screen to 1024 x 630, then placed my screen at 0,-30 and Voila no Title bars at all.
I do keep the bottom Panel to Auto Hide so that you can get to things if you have to.

But here is the ever annoying thing with Linux.
It was suppose to be a stable standard, but every flavour / version decides to create their
own directory structure. So the Themes for xfwm4 are suppose to be stored in: /usr/share/xfwm4/themes
On DEBIAN , of course NOT.
You have to go looking for the .xpm files to find it
AND
/usr/share/themes

I am finding differences with even simple things like setting the date. This in itself was a major task.
The BBB does not have battery backed RTC, and I dont want any Network connection.

Must be Wednesday , felt like another rant.

Regards