Small environment to cross-compile for win32 from Linux

Linux specific questions.
Landeel

Small environment to cross-compile for win32 from Linux

Post by Landeel »

This is a small pre-configured environment to create win32 executables from Linux.
You will need 'wine' and the normal fbc installation in '/usr/local'.
Much smaller than mingw-w64.
Works for me. I hope it's useful for someone.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeba ... 2/download
systemctl

Re: Small environment to cross-compile for win32 from Linux

Post by systemctl »

Landeel wrote:This is a small pre-configured environment to create win32 executables from Linux.
You will need 'wine' and the normal fbc installation in '/usr/local'.
Much smaller than mingw-w64.
Works for me. I hope it's useful for someone.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeba ... 2/download
Excuse me but wine itself is a beast, it pulled in many dependency packages, the wine prefix (.wine) also count, so how could it's much smaller than mingw-w64 I wonder?

I checked with Synaptic Package Manager on Linux Mint Debian and saw that mingw-w64 needs about 809 MB, wine needs about 911 MB. They are almost the same.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

Yes, wine dependencies are bigger, but I think wine is something most Linux users will have already installed.
I have no other use for mingw-64.
But this can work with mingw-64 too, just change the "win32-*" links to the appropriate tools.
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

as far as I'm concerned, it's out of the question to install wine. too heavy. in order not to pollute the main system, I used an lxd container. after its creation, I installed wine 5 and many development programs, lazarus freepascal linux and windows, freebasic linux and windows and many other programming languages all isolated without any access to the real system...
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

I use Linux (Lubuntu) as my main desktop OS.
I play some Windows games and use FreeBASIC to develop games for Windows, so I can't imagine using it without wine.
systemctl

Post by systemctl »

Landeel wrote:I use Linux (Lubuntu) as my main desktop OS.
I play some Windows games and use FreeBASIC to develop games for Windows, so I can't imagine using it without wine.
I use wine, too. But mostly for some small games. My computer is not powerful.

The thing I hate most about wine is if you don't careful you could have it messed up your minetypes. It registered the Windows programs installed on wine as the default applications to open many file types. It's annoying. Even if you uninstalled the program the file types association still there. I have to find through out my entire home dir to delete these leftovers by wine.

p/s: I just found an option of winecfg preventing wine to mess with minetypes, but I've not yet tested it.
Landeel

Post by Landeel »

systemctl wrote:p/s: I just found an option of winecfg preventing wine to mess with minetypes, but I've not yet tested it.
Oh, good tip! I never noticed there was this option!
systemctl

Post by systemctl »

Landeel wrote:
systemctl wrote:p/s: I just found an option of winecfg preventing wine to mess with minetypes, but I've not yet tested it.
Oh, good tip! I never noticed there was this option!
I'm using wine 4.0 shipped with Debian 10. I think previous version of wine doesn't have this option.