What is a good IDE for Freebasic on Linux?

Linux specific questions.
BristolBrick

What is a good IDE for Freebasic on Linux?

Post by BristolBrick »

I've been programming on Windows in Reebasic for years, always with FBIde. Now that I must use Linux, and FBIde doesn't support it, what would be a good one for Linux?
srvaldez

Re: What is a good IDE for Freebasic on Linux?

Post by srvaldez »

Hi BristolBrick
I use geany on linux, it works out of the box with Freebasic, there are a couple thing to keep in mind coming from FBide, there's no compile-and-run command, you must compile and then after a successful compile, run the program, also you must save your FB code with bas extension before you can compile.
I suggest that you also give Poseidon IDE a try, it might be more to your liking
TJF

Post by TJF »

srvaldez wrote:... there are a couple thing to keep in mind coming from FBide, there's no compile-and-run command, you must compile and then after a successful compile, run the program, also you must save your FB code with bas extension before you can compile.
You can customize the build commands (menu: Build -> Commands). Click on a button in the first column and name your entry. Then add your context
  • command: fbc -exx -w all "%f" && "./%e"
  • folder: "%d"
and Geany will compile and start by a single keystroke. (Note: the && makes the second command only start when the first one succeeded [= returns Null].)

And by editing the configuration files (menu Tools -> Config files) you can make Geany invoking the fbc for any custom file extension. But it's best practise to use the standard '.bas' extension.

@BristolBrick

I never tried Poseidon, because it doesn't meet my needs. The 'custom command' feature is unique in Geany. I use it very often.

Regards
badidea

Post by badidea »

Geany offers you anything you can wish for :-)
There are multiple topics on Geany, e.g.: Using Geany in Linux - Screen shot plz
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

when I said that you have to save your FB code with a bas extension before you can compile, I was referring to the FBide feature that allows you to compile and run code that's in the editor without being saved to a file, FBide saves the code to a temp file, compiles and then executes the temp.exe, it's handy if you want to tryout a snippet of code, but that feature is not available in geany probably because geany is a multi-compiler IDE and it needs to know which compiler to invoke which is determined by the file extension.
TJF

Post by TJF »

srvaldez wrote:when I said that you have to save your FB code with a bas extension before you can compile, I was referring to the FBide feature that allows you to compile and run code that's in the editor without being saved to a file, FBide saves the code to a temp file, compiles and then executes the temp.exe, it's handy if you want to tryout a snippet of code, but that feature is not available in geany probably because geany is a multi-compiler IDE and it needs to know which compiler to invoke which is determined by the file extension.
You can invoke fbc as a custom command, compiling code from standard input pipe. In that case you've to mark all (or just a part of the) code in Geany and send it to fbc console input (no temp file), in order to create a temp executable, which you can start in the same custom command.

But in that case all gets lost when the IDE closes (ie. power loss). IMHO it's better to always create a source file by starting the IDE in a terminal like

Code: Select all

touch tmp.bas && geany tmp.bas
or you invoke like

Code: Select all

geany tmp.bas
and Geany saves the code from the new tab before the next compiling.
badidea

Post by badidea »

For the 'Geany quick run' issue, I have one 'test.bas' file on the Desktop. I open that one paste the code into it and run. Sometimes however 'test.bas' contains something useful that I don't want to lose, and things become a bit more complicated.
exagonx

Post by exagonx »

badidea wrote:For the 'Geany quick run' issue, I have one 'test.bas' file on the Desktop. I open that one paste the code into it and run. Sometimes however 'test.bas' contains something useful that I don't want to lose, and things become a bit more complicated.
I used Geany and I have no problem with compiling and runnig, i think is the best IDE for FreeBASIC
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

Love geany. Small, fast, simple. I ALWAYS start with a file where I want with the name I want. (Of course, I have scripts that open from 3 to 80 files at once on 8 desktops. Learning to script is like discovering that pizza can be made to your custom tastes AND delivered to your door!)

I also use a 'test.bas' on my desktop. A code snippet an be tested quickly.
A little discipline and you learn to make your own FB/samples directory to put your bizarre test code into immediately.

Then I can learn to avoid making the same mistake over and over because of learning interference. (Well, that's the hope.)

david