malloc(): invalid size (unsorted)

Linux specific questions.
jj2007

Re: malloc(): invalid size (unsorted)

Post by jj2007 »

Imortis wrote:This is just more MASM code. I thought you said you were going to provide a version for FreeBASIC. Your post was reported on the basis of being basically spam for the MASM forum, yet again. I did not follow through on the report because of the offer of a version for FB. This is what you meant? In that case, I tend to agree with the report.
Sorry, this is not "MASM code", it's an executable. It's a tiny little tool, and it happens to work with all kinds of 32-bit executables, FB-generated ones included. I do have more than 30 years of BASIC programming experience, but that doesn't mean that I have to program all my tools in a particular BASIC dialect.

Some of you see attacks on FB behind every corner... that half a dozen IDEs for FB, are they all written in FreeBasic??? I hope so, otherwise somebody should report the authors as spammers for, let me guess, Microsoft's C++ compiler. Btw is it always the same guy who reports me because he feels threatened by assembly code?

The archive contains the source, about 100 lines of code. Those who are a little bit proficient in Windows can easily port it to genuine FB if they feel that a MASM-generated exe is bleah. I can't, sorry, because after a few cryptic errors plus lots of useless and irrelevant C++-style warnings, I tend to dedicate my time to more important projects.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

The zip I downloaded included the .asm file. That is the code I was referring to. Yes it also contains an exe. The tool itself is appreciated.

As for your comparison to the IDEs: of the ones I know, only one is written in anything other than FB. The maintainer for that does not answer questions about freeBASIC with code in D. They just post their IDE.

I do not see this a an attack on FB. I see your insistence on posting or referring to code written in a different language than the one the forum is dedicated to as behaviour that would not be tolerated on forums for other languages. I see it as a breach of etiquette.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Imortis wrote:The tool itself is appreciated.
Good.
Imortis wrote:I see your insistence on posting or referring to code written in a different language than the one the forum is dedicated to as behaviour that would not be tolerated on forums for other languages. I see it as a breach of etiquette.
OMG! Generations of BASIC programmers were proficient in Assembly, and used it to speed up their BASIC dialect.

You want to ban Assembly for FreeBasic? Go ahead, but please explain why you are so extremely tolerant with all the C/C++ crap that has turned FB into a caricature of C++ in recent years. A standard proggie that creates a simple window with a menu and an edit control spits out irrelevant, misleading and useless warnings for about 10% of its lines. Why? Because FreeBasic relies 100% on "a different language than the one the forum is dedicated".
N3trunn3r

Post by N3trunn3r »

Lot's of great advice! Thanks to everyone :) , I found the error.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

N3trunn3r wrote:Lot's of great advice! Thanks to everyone :) , I found the error.
Great!
What did the error turn out to be? Did you learn anything useful while finding it?
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

jj2007 wrote:You want to ban Assembly for FreeBasic?
I have no desire to ban assembly for freeBASIC. FB has the "ASM/END ASM" block for including assembly in FB source code.
jj2007 wrote:Go ahead, but please explain why you are so extremely tolerant with all the C/C++ crap that has turned FB into a caricature of C++ in recent years.
We have no one posting C++ code in response to questions about FB, links to code they wrote on C++ forums for the purpose of answering questions about FB, etc.