Best video file format?

Windows specific questions.
grindstone

Re: Best video file format?

Post by grindstone »

Tourist Trap wrote:Do you know a way to hide the interface from the command line?

Code: Select all

End With
SetWindowPlacement(hWndThisWindow,@wpDF)
ShowWindow(hWndThisWindow,SW_MINIMIZE) '<<<<<<< insert this line

GetStartupInfo(@siVLC) 'get default values
You could also set the show state to SW_HIDE, but I would not recommend it, because afterwards you have no more access to the window, so you have to use the task manager to terminate the programme.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

I reformulate. Though this is useful to minimize the console at the playtime (thanks for the tip), my question was from VLC command line, is there a way to launch it without its full interface, so with no menu, no button, or anything (useless here)?

I've tried this :
\vlc.exe -I rc
but would hide totally vlc.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

D.J.Peters wrote:FreeBASIC and xvid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJvW320mdZg
Nice but difficult to figure out why xvid is required here. To make the final render?
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

Cheerfully fulfilling all your special requests (and some more):

'launch VLC-Player with remote control (align path if necessary)
CreateProcess(0,"C:\Programme\VideoVLC\vlc.exe --extraintf rc --qt-minimal-view --zoom=0.3",0,0,0,0,0,0,@siVLC,@pi)

Do 'wait till rc-window is opened
	Sleep 1
Loop Until FindWindow(0,"Window")
hWndRC = FindWindow(0,"Window") 'memorize window handle

Do 'wait, till VLC-Player is running 
	hWndVLC = FindWindow(0,"VLC media player")
	Sleep 1
Loop Until IsWindowVisible(hWndVLC)
Dim As UInteger windowstyle = GetWindowLong(hWndVLC,GWL_STYLE)
windowstyle And= -1 And WS_DLGFRAME 'remove title bar
SetWindowLong(hWndVLC,GWL_STYLE,windowstyle)

'place VLC beneath console window
GetWindowPlacement(hWndVLC,@wpVLC)
With the --zoom - option you can smooth resize the video.

If you want a complete list of all available VLC-options (there are hundreds of them) just type "VLC --longhelp --advanced" at the command line. VLC will create a file named vlc-help.txt you can view with notepad.
datwill310

Post by datwill310 »

grindstone wrote:Have you set the path of the 'CreateProcess...' - statement to your VLC directory?
I've made a search in my C:\ drive, and I can't find vlc.exe! X(
MrSwiss

Post by MrSwiss »

datwill310 wrote:
grindstone wrote:Have you set the path of the 'CreateProcess...' - statement to your VLC directory?
You can download it straight from the creators site at:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Version WIN is 2.2.1, size approx. 20MB ...
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

grindstone wrote:Cheerfully fulfilling all your special requests (and some more):

Thanks this leads to great expectations. However I'm encoutering many issues. First is solved : if you had your playlist window docked, it will be displayed, not hidden with qt-minimal. Second thing the size of VLC window is the size memorized before, so it may not fit. Third is weird, I've all working nice but the video is only a small line at top. Or sometimes no video at all. However I've been lauching a wmv, I'll try with an avi file also even if I don't think it would change this.

About the documentation I'd been searching the website https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help/. But it's so dense that I failed to extract the precious item. Great that you've been succesfull here. However I've been intrigated by this :
Embedded window video
--drawable-hwnd=<integer [-2147483648 .. 2147483647]>
Window handle (HWND)
Video will be embedded in this pre-existing window. If zero, a new
window will be created.
datwill310

Post by datwill310 »

MrSwiss wrote:
datwill310 wrote:
You can download it straight from the creators site at:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Version WIN is 2.2.1, size approx. 20MB ...
I've read the license agreement and it's extremely helpful that I can distribute VLC without change. My game will be free.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

datwill310 wrote:I've read the license agreement and it's extremely helpful that I can distribute VLC without change. My game will be free.
I thought you knew this. Moreover it's crossplatform. Do the video play correctly for you with the last program? Just put the bas file in your vlc exec folder and compile it there. Throw also a video file there so you won't have to bother with the path.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

Tourist Trap wrote:Second thing the size of VLC window is the size memorized before, so it may not fit
The window will resize automatically to the size of the video as soon as you play it. The empty VLC window by default launches with the same size it was former closed with. But there are also options to determine the initial size.
Tourist Trap wrote:I've all working nice but the video is only a small line at top. Or sometimes no video at all.
I don't know what's going wrong, here it works. I only know that the VLC-player freezes when the side ratio changes within the video.

With --drawable-hwnd= the VLC-player can be assigned to a different parent window without closing and relaunching it. It doesn't mean that a video can be displayed inside the specified window.
datwill310

Post by datwill310 »

grindstone wrote:If you want a complete list of all available VLC-options (there are hundreds of them) just type "VLC --longhelp --advanced" at the command line. VLC will create a file named vlc-help.txt you can view with notepad.
I have done so, but I don't know where the file is located. The help documentation doesn't say anything about it, and I've looked in the VLC directory.
datwill310

Post by datwill310 »

Tourist Trap wrote:Do the video play correctly for you with the last program?
I have used a 24-bit (true Colour) AVI file, running with 10 fps and a dozen images; it has worked perfectly!
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

grindstone wrote:I don't know what's going wrong, here it works. I only know that the VLC-player freezes when the side ratio changes within the video
Ok, I'll take at look at this closer. This left aside this works very well.
grindstone wrote:With --drawable-hwnd= the VLC-player can be assigned to a different parent window without closing and relaunching it. It doesn't mean that a video can be displayed inside the specified window.
So it may be done by operating via vmem lib. To be continued.. ;-)
datwill310 wrote:
Tourist Trap wrote:Do the video play correctly for you with the last program?
I have used a 24-bit (true Colour) AVI file, running with 10 fps and a dozen images; it has worked perfectly!
Nice.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

datwill310 wrote:I have done so, but I don't know where the file is located. The help documentation doesn't say anything about it, and I've looked in the VLC directory.
The help file spawns in vlc directory. You can also read it online : https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help/. It's rather dense, i must warn.