Dreams for freebasic's future...

Windows specific questions.
thriller

Dreams for freebasic's future...

Postby thriller » Mar 10, 2006 7:54

Hello there.
This is the first post of me, sorry for my bad English.
I almost lose my interest in basic until my first eye on freebasic.
That's the basic we ought to have, I think. Thanks v1ctor for the creative work!
I believe FB can do most program things even now at it early age.
Some dreams of me as flws:
1. A powerful FB IDE like VB 6.0. Maybe we can even try to program FB in VB6 IDE with some add-ins. An xml format of project file is also very good idea besides makefiles. RadAsm is good, but open source ide in freebasic itself will be better.
2. Realtime interpreting like vb6 debug window.
3. Option to be compatible with visual basic, power basic, realbasic, full basic, etc.
4. Alow inline c/c++, pascal, java, php, perl, python and/or others to reduce the translation work. Many open source projects change their header file when they update. If we can use .h directly, we will have the power to use new header files accordingly i/o new trans works.
5. Cross-platform gui/non-gui controls/component support, better if support for DELPHI component.
6. Ability to create web/internet servers support for FB/FB scripted files. That’ll be cool.

OK, I think there’ll be more dreams. Why not write them down?
Thanks folks.
VonGodric

Re: Dreams for freebasic's future...

Postby VonGodric » Mar 10, 2006 11:35

thriller wrote:Hello there.
This is the first post of me, sorry for my bad English.
I almost lose my interest in basic until my first eye on freebasic.
That's the basic we ought to have, I think. Thanks v1ctor for the creative work!
I believe FB can do most program things even now at it early age.
Some dreams of me as flws:
1. A powerful FB IDE like VB 6.0. Maybe we can even try to program FB in VB6 IDE with some add-ins. An xml format of project file is also very good idea besides makefiles. RadAsm is good, but open source ide in freebasic itself will be better.
2. Realtime interpreting like vb6 debug window.
3. Option to be compatible with visual basic, power basic, realbasic, full basic, etc.
4. Alow inline c/c++, pascal, java, php, perl, python and/or others to reduce the translation work. Many open source projects change their header file when they update. If we can use .h directly, we will have the power to use new header files accordingly i/o new trans works.
5. Cross-platform gui/non-gui controls/component support, better if support for DELPHI component.
6. Ability to create web/internet servers support for FB/FB scripted files. That’ll be cool.

OK, I think there’ll be more dreams. Why not write them down?
Thanks folks.
Ahem sry for saying so... but some of these are utterly stupid.

1. Well on this one I partly agree -why don't you start an IDE project then? "An xml format of project file is also very good idea besides makefiles" ?? wtf are you talking about? Why does it even matter? If you have an ide I doubt that you manually edit project files! INI files are much better for this task -don't argue I know. trust me. (xml files tend to be a lot bigger) You can try FBIde -it's far from perfect but IS open source.

2. FreeBASIC is a compiler and NOT an interpreter. Use debugging features for degunning. Creating an interpreter that executes any freebasixc source is almost impossible. especially making it cross-platform.

3. It's FreeBASIC and NOT any other. If you want visual basic -go use it. And do educate yourself in programming while you are at it -then you'll understand that this "compability" would actually kill FreeBASIC.

4. It's pretty much as previous. It's just can't be done. Java is far too different, php, perl, pyhton are SCRIPTING languages. You can however have a library for using them inside freebasic programs. And FreeBASIC differs from C/C++ as well. V1ct0r has a translating tool that converts .h's to .bi's however.

5. Do you even know what you'r talking about? Each platform has a different api set for gui and other related topics. So it is NOT easy task. It's better off to use external libraries for such tasks (GTK, wx-c). Beside FB's runtime is already advanced enough and covers all the basics. Additionally you can use standard C runtime library as well.

6. Again platforms differ too much for this. On windows use winapi, or some libraries do provide a platform independent api's for that. ( wx-c does I think ) And just use libraries for that.
VonGodric

Postby VonGodric » Mar 10, 2006 11:37

Sry if I was too harsh.

welcome to the forum.
tunginobi

Re: Dreams for freebasic's future...

Postby tunginobi » Mar 10, 2006 11:58

thriller wrote:1. A powerful FB IDE like VB 6.0. Maybe we can even try to program FB in VB6 IDE with some add-ins. An xml format of project file is also very good idea besides makefiles. RadAsm is good, but open source ide in freebasic itself will be better.

Well, FBIde will do you well. It's going towards the project slant, so you might want to look into that. Like 99% of IDEs, it doesn't have a RAD-style GUI designer, though it could be a possibility if FBIde accepts external plugins.

thriller wrote:2. Realtime interpreting like vb6 debug window.

There's a -debug FB compiler option. Dev-C++ apparently has a debugger that's compatible with the outputted program.

thriller wrote:3. Option to be compatible with visual basic, power basic, realbasic, full basic, etc.

Nope. FreeBASIC was based on QuickBASIC, and that's not really going to change. You want to compile code for other BASIC variants? Download their compilers/interpreters, that's what they're available on the Internet for (or order, if you're actually willing to pay). FreeBASIC is free from having to conform to the syntax differences of the tens of other BASIC variants out there.

thriller wrote:4. Alow inline c/c++, pascal, java, php, perl, python and/or others to reduce the translation work. Many open source projects change their header file when they update. If we can use .h directly, we will have the power to use new header files accordingly i/o new trans works.

Do you even know how third generation computer programming languages work?

Want to convert C header files? Use SWIG.

Only supported inline language is assembly. That's not changing any time soon.

thriller wrote:5. Cross-platform gui/non-gui controls/component support, better if support for DELPHI component.

Include and use a GUI toolkit library with your FB project, and link at compile time.

thriller wrote:6. Ability to create web/internet servers support for FB/FB scripted files. That’ll be cool.

FB only comes in compiled flavour. You want a script version of BASIC? That's what VBScript is for.

Seriously, FreeBASIC's direction was to take QuickBASIC, bring it to the modern 32-bit realm (and soon 64-bit), and enhance it. Some of your ideas directly oppose these ideals, which is why I can't recommend them.

::EDIT::

If you're new, try posting in the Beginners forum if you have a question.
xiNoNix

Postby xiNoNix » Mar 10, 2006 12:07

Hi thriller,

Welcome to the forum. ;) You posted on a bad hair day, it seems. From my (limited) experience, generally replies are far more polite. :b :D
VonGodric

Postby VonGodric » Mar 10, 2006 13:05

I misunderstood 6th option. my bad
tunginobi

Postby tunginobi » Mar 10, 2006 13:18

xiNoNix wrote:Hi thriller,

Welcome to the forum. ;) You posted on a bad hair day, it seems. From my (limited) experience, generally replies are far more polite. :b :D

People don't learn if you're always sugar-coating things. My replies weren't not polite (excuse the double negative), they were assertive.

Beginners forum is the place to go for newbie queries. Off-Topic will suit you if you need to ask about something that's not FB related.

This forum is really more for using FB in conjuction with the Windows API, or Windows-specific problems. Not so much for merely the users of such systems.

Lurk some, it'll give you a taste of what belongs where.
xiNoNix

Postby xiNoNix » Mar 10, 2006 13:44

Double negative excused.

Yes, you are right. They were pretty assertive replies (to a howdy wrapped in a dream list). The "hello's" were afterthoughts. The tone was "hey, newb" and "Get Real". The PR for FB was pathetic.

Assertive enough?

lol. :^D

Postby 1000101 » Mar 10, 2006 13:55

Don't never not use no quadrouple negatives no-how. That's what I was taught :P

Anyway, as to bad PR, sometimes it's better to hammer reality through a gossamer dream then to try to politely point out that what they asking for is the moon. Further, one should take the time themselves to look into things a little before asking questions such as these to see if it's even possible. I have no sympathy for people who do stupid things. And no, when I was a n00b, I didn't ask stupid questions like these because when I was a n00b the only resources available were books. So, I looked in the books and learned the how-and-why things work and from that was able to determine whether or not my fantasy world could become reality.

That's the problem with the internet. It elimiates the need to actually find an answer for yourself before asking stupid questions.
VonGodric

Postby VonGodric » Mar 10, 2006 14:00

My dream list:

Function MakeGame ( number_of_levels, game_type )
Function MakeProggie ( Proggie_type )
Function MakeMy_Uper_Super_Hyper_OS()
Last edited by VonGodric on Mar 10, 2006 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
xiNoNix

Postby xiNoNix » Mar 10, 2006 14:00

Hi binary 45,

What question was asked? Dreams ... Gossamer .. Flights of Fancy.

This is amusing. :)
tunginobi

Postby tunginobi » Mar 10, 2006 14:11

Having a moon would be, like, really cool! Serious!

@1000101: Yeah, I had to jump through a lot of books too. As a result, I'm used to the concept of helping myself via digging through thick books, and then (not quite) moving forward to using Google.

Now where's my moon?
xiNoNix

Postby xiNoNix » Mar 10, 2006 14:15

tunginobi wrote:Now where's my moon?

( i )

That was so tempting. :)
redcrab

Postby redcrab » Mar 10, 2006 14:20

xiNoNix wrote:
tunginobi wrote:Now where's my moon?

( i )

That was so tempting. :)

Tss tss tss...

;-))

Postby 1000101 » Mar 10, 2006 15:03

Don't get me wrong, I'll ask a stupid question once in a while, but that's usually after 3000 lines of code, algorythms within algorythms within algorythms. Then the question I'll ask is usually to the nature of, "why doesn't this fscking thing work???" only to find I did "foo = -1" instead of "foo -= 1"

Return to “Windows”