Found the perfect language, can't get it to RUN

Windows specific questions.
Zooker

Found the perfect language, can't get it to RUN

Post by Zooker »

Downloaded latest versions of Free Basic and the JellyFish Editor. I am running win XP Media. It won't run or compile any of the example programs. Not even Hello.bas. Every attempt shows the code staying on
the screen and a small message box with an exclamation point and a caption [Compiler] and that's it. This is just the basic I've been looking for and I am VERY Disappointed. I'm a HUGE fan of Basic PDS 7.11 the best language ever written> Will free basic not run under Bill Gates latest peice of Crap win XP?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

This could very well be a JellyFish Editor problem rather than any issue with FreeBASIC.

Have you correctly set the path to the FreeBASIC compiler ? Choose the "Set Compiler Defaults" option from the "Compile" menu. Fill in the path to the FreeBASIC compiler in the first textbox.

For example:
C:\FreeBASIC\fbc.exe

You can also click on the command button immediately to the right of that textbox in order to navigate your folders in order to select the FreeBASIC compiler (fbc.exe). The command button has 3 dots on it "..."

Let me know what directory you chosen. It is possible that maybe there is something odd about the folder path (i.e. maybe it is too long or contains strange characters, etc, etc.). It is always best to extract the FreeBASIC package to a directory that has a short name.
v1ctor
Site Admin

Post by v1ctor »

Did you run install.bat after unpacking the zip file? See the readme.txt file for more details.

I use XP myself to develop FB, that's probably the most stable platform supported at the moment.
Zooker

FreeBasic

Post by Zooker »

Thank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank YouThank You Guys!!! I overlooked the install bat so I'm going back to UN install FB and Re-install it with the install.bat. I never told any body I was smart, just PERSISTANT!
Kcproductionz

Post by Kcproductionz »

How in gods name is Windows a piece of crap? Its infinitly times better than anything you can make. If you ask me its pretty damn good, just not as efficient as it could be and has a few bugs.
Zooker

WIN XP

Post by Zooker »

A Few Bugs?????????????????????????????????????????????????
What stuff are you smokin? Anything anybody wrote is 100% better then I can do. What kind of logic is that. Gates is a Genius! He could bring out a bug free win if he wanted too. 1st he could get rid of all that crap he's got jammed in there that's probably mucking up things and bring out an Operating system. You know - that part of software that operates your computer. That's what I'm paying for and not getting. CAUSE Genuis Gates wants us to keep on buying & he doesn't give a dam how our machines work as long as we keep on BUYING. The improvement he's made in windows is somewhat marginal at best. I've purchased every incarnation that he's put out. Does my machine run any better. It may but not so I could notice. As long as there are people who by this kind of crap, including imbeciles like me, we will get what we deserve. A half assed operating system and with dumbed down applications!
Z!re

Post by Z!re »

[Content removed at author's request]
dumbledore

Post by dumbledore »

lol, you should make a "z!re approved" bitmap plaque for them ;P :D
Kcproductionz

Post by Kcproductionz »

Gates is not in business to fill every need you have, its to make him money. Its why most people work. If his operating is a piece of $%#@ stop using it.
dumbledore

Post by dumbledore »

i have :P, the only thing i use it for is windoze development.
Z!re

Post by Z!re »

[Content removed at author's request]
Zooker

Post by Zooker »

Gates is not here to fill my every need? I only need 1 thing, an operating system that works. Not that the one I have doesn't work. It just works when it dam well feels like it. Like I don't need and add/Remove program that doesn't work. Why should I have to buy 1 when I already PAID for 1.
That and 2 o other things go wrong from time to time. If you are in love with this kind of stuff god bless you! Gates will definetly love you. I don't care if wild willy loves me or not. I use his peice of crap because there isn't any thing better out there. But there definitely SHOULD be.
Kcproductionz

Post by Kcproductionz »

Your right it doesnt work. What the hell have I been doing for the past year? I sure as hell wasnt doing anything on Windows becuase it doesnt work. I mean theres no games for it, no software thats useful (duh its Windows!). Thats just how Microsofts made all its money, making $%#@ that doesnt work.
Zooker

Post by Zooker »

Glad to see your feeling better. You play games, now that's really some heavy duty computing. I would suggest you mite try XBox because it plays games with out the tons of invalid keys you get when you use windows and all the other stuff that's left on your computer when you TRY to delete something. Willy nilly use to be MY HERO. He wrote the best language ever written, Basic PDS 7.1. Of course that ran on DOS a REAL Operating sytem. I still use some dos stuff because it WORKS Rite. O f couse in this friendly discussion were having I haven't brought up LINUX. Well you mite say screw Linu but Linux has screwed Gates out of the server market. Gates is not invincible. He could be if he brought out a REAL Operating sytem.One that did NOTHING but operate your computer.
I think people would drop windows like the HOT Rock it is! Of course this is just MY Opinion!!!
etko

Post by etko »

??

I believe that by design WinNT Kernel (currently only official M$ core, as they stopped supporting W9x) has to be at least as good as Linux Kernel is. I like the whole idea and think is much better than Linux. However implementation might suffer.

Anyway Bill Gates is no more than tyranic manager, thats all. He is not interested in doing better products, he is interested in conquering world :). As now everyone talks about TC and DRM, I remembered one image of Gates portrayed as Hitler ;).