WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
jaskin

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V2.2.0 March 26, 2021)

Post by jaskin »

deltarho[1859] wrote:The answer is no.
What a shame. It would be very useful. How do I submit an enhancement request?
Josep Roca

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V2.2.0 March 26, 2021)

Post by Josep Roca »

The highlighting is done by the external Scintilla control, not by code in the editor. Therefore, it's not possible, unless you add the names of the functions to the list of FreeBasic keywords (in lower case).
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

jaskin wrote:What a shame. It would be very useful.
I wonder in what way useful.

Without knowing why you would find it useful the following remark may be helpful; or not as the case may be. Image

Go to View>View Function List.

Double-click on a function, and you will be sent there.
jaskin

Post by jaskin »

deltarho[1859] wrote:I wonder in what way useful.
I've been spoilt by editor specifically developed for another language. It's very handy to see the names of the functions stand out in the code. A crude way is to use all caps but not as effective. I will just have to get used to the lack of differentiation. Not a major drama - just a nice to have. The other editor even differentiates between variables and arrays.
jj2007

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V2.1.9 March 25, 2021)

Post by jj2007 »

PaulSquires wrote:Version 2.1.9 (March 25, 2021)
Editor:
- FreeBASIC Compiler v1.07.2 (with GCC 5.2). You can still use different backend toolchains via the SetCompilerPaths plugin
Is the plugin interface documented somewhere? I'd like to write one.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

jj2007 wrote:Is the plugin interface documented somewhere?
In a word - No.

Have a look at what I have done in 'Tools>User Tools ...'.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:
jj2007 wrote:Is the plugin interface documented somewhere?
In a word - No.

Have a look at what I have done in 'Tools>User Tools ...'.
Thanks. So it's just executables launched from a menu, but no integration with the IDE itself. For example, you won't get access to the text of the source, right?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

jj2007 wrote:For example, you won't get access to the text of the source, right?
Correct. All that I am doing is to read and write from and to WinFBE.ini which adheres to the standard ini format allowing me to use the Windows APIs GetPrivateProfileStringA and WritePrivateProfileString.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:
jj2007 wrote:For example, you won't get access to the text of the source, right?
Correct. All that I am doing is to read and write from and to WinFBE.ini which adheres to the standard ini format allowing me to use the Windows APIs GetPrivateProfileStringA and WritePrivateProfileString.
That's unfortunate. I found a way to read the full text of the Scintilla control, but I can't yet retrieve the currently selected text.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Perhaps a plugin is not the best course of action. If what you are trying to achieve is a good idea, maybe Paul would consider adding it as a new feature. Paul updated WinFBE to accommodate my plugins as they were not behaving as intended.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

I would certainly entertain and strong encourage adding new features if such features are useful for the general WinFBE user. I already have a nice list of user suggested features that I am working on to get into the next version.

I implemented a full blown plug-in system for my last JellyFish Pro Editor and it was a lot of effort that eventually was only utilized by very few people. The effort/reward payoff was not worth it in the end. I don't foresee me implementing such a system in WinFBE as it's user base size doesn't warrant it. Now if WinFBE had the following of Notepad++ or Geany, etc, then that'd be a different story.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

PaulSquires wrote:I implemented a full blown plug-in system for my last JellyFish Pro Editor and it was a lot of effort that eventually was only utilized by very few people.
I did that for RichMasm, too, and in the end I was the only one who used it. But it was a nice exercise in coding ;-)

Btw I got my "plugin" working. It's pretty useless for the tiny sources that are typically posted in forums, but from a thousand lines onwards it's a nice tool (I've used such listboxes for about 20 years now - I even have a VBA for MS Word version).

While it's running, you can select a word (e.g. a variable name or wParam as shown below) in WinFBE32, then press simultaneously the right Ctrl key and F3, and voilà, you get a nice listbox with all matches in the source. Full word and case-sensitive searches are possible. If anybody is interested, send me an email. I can't post the link here, because there is a hysterical guy here who reports any links to software that has not been written in FreeBasic to the admins ;-)

The screenshot is probably illegal, too, but life would be boring if we didn't take any risks, right?

deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Nice one, Jochen. Image

Paul is half way there with his 'Enable Occurrences Highlighting' code. I shouldn't think that it would take much to extend that to a listbox.

Food for thought Paul?
thrive4

Post by thrive4 »

First off many thanks to Paul and the other contributors to this project!

I was glancing at the news thread:
viewforum.php?f=1
and noticed that the current version of freebasic is at Version 1.08.0

I was wondering are there any plans to update winfbe?
I believe the current version 2.2.0:
https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
is bundled with FreeBASIC-1.07.2-gcc-5.2

With regards.