FreeBASIC Quake Translation Project

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
The Car

Post by The Car »

Does QuakeIII have any dependencies on other libs or anything that have yet to be tested with Freebasic?
Oz

Post by Oz »

so far, i haven't seen it require any - most of them were designed by the quake team, but it does use direct x, which can be easily recoded to work with opengl....and will be

aside from that, we'll just need to make note of what extra libs are being used, and what functions they have, etc.

oz~
The Car

Post by The Car »

Hmm, I know they used opengl for the graphics. Was dx used for input and network? That is kind of suprising..
Shadowwolf

Post by Shadowwolf »

okay cool i might help. Setting up a CVS ? also a efnet channel for organization or a forum/board would help to.
speedlemon

Post by speedlemon »

he does have a forum.

also, i was wondering because i heard it a lot recently. what is CVS?
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

Shadowwolf wrote:okay cool i might help. Setting up a CVS ? also a efnet channel for organization or a forum/board would help to.
Hi Shadowwolf,
i need an CVS server too. (without sf.net)
any info for me?
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopi ... =9440#9440

thanx Joshy
The Car

Post by The Car »

speedlemon wrote:he does have a forum.

also, i was wondering because i heard it a lot recently. what is CVS?
It is a versioning system to store sourcecode, like Visual Source Safe.

It lets multiple people work on a project and send in their changes, and you can roll back if neccesary.

Check out: http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/
speedlemon

Post by speedlemon »

thanks for the info the car
Oz

Post by Oz »

i won't have an official CVS...i'll have my own system setup to control what version is being put up, but this isn't that type of project, either. we are translating the quake c source in basic source. that is it - no improving or anything yet.

oz~
etko

Post by etko »

Actually when i try to register i'am getting this error:
Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: /tmp) in /home/oz/public_html/fb_quakeIII/apply.php on line 3
Quake III uses OpenGL for rendering and on windows it uses DirectX 3 for input and sound. Naturally on linux another API is used. On quakesrc.org there is an Quake 3 SDL port mentioned. Woudln't it be better to wait a bit till this port is mature enough and start porting from that? ( We will get rid of all platform specific code and we know that SDL works with FB).
The Car

Post by The Car »

etko wrote:On quakesrc.org there is an Quake 3 SDL port mentioned. Woudln't it be better to wait a bit till this port is mature enough and start porting from that? ( We will get rid of all platform specific code and we know that SDL works with FB).
I definately agree with that.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/Q3Coderz/quake3sdl/

Looks like he has almost all the bugs worked out already and have it running on WinXP and Unix. Macs - not yet - but who cares?

Oz, I'd highly recommend looking at this.. Potentially using all SDL it could become a cross platform FreeBasic project!

Eric
v1ctor
Site Admin

Post by v1ctor »

Btw, you could host the project in Sourceforge or BerliOS (others at http://directory.google.com/Top/Compute ... e/Hosting/), so it could become more organized.

Even with just 2 people in the team and a small project (what isn't the case here), without CVS or some other version control mechanism, it becomes a nightmare to maintain.
yetifoot

Post by yetifoot »

Is it really a project worth working on? i see that converting it to FB could be a fun challenge, and would be quite a good show off piece for FB, but otherwise i dont see the point.

PS. I had a look at your webpage with the intention of getting one of these chunks to convert, but couldnt get anything to download.
speedlemon

Post by speedlemon »

yeah. i agree with you yetifoot... theres absolutely no reason why Alex should spending his time translating a useful engine like this... no reason at all. I mean, what possible uses could that be. none of us want to learn about 3d and make 3d games. Alex, stop doing any work. none of us have uses for it.
yetifoot

Post by yetifoot »

i see... ;-p

There are plenty of other ways to learn about 3d.
I think i might go learn about compiler construction by converting the FB compliler to C.