FreeBASIC Quake Translation Project

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
Oz

FreeBASIC Quake Translation Project

Post by Oz »

If you are intrested in Quake, or want some code, we're translating all the C coding into FB

http://www.atosoftpp.digitalblackie.com ... /index.php

if you're intrested, read "standards.txt" for some details and go to the "More Info..." page (link on the bottom)

Though I should note that the forum isn't ready yet, so you will be garunteed to have problems with it if you try to use it :p

anyway, register if you're up for it

Oz~
Last edited by Oz on Sep 21, 2005 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
rdc

Post by rdc »

Very cool indeed.
Deleter

Post by Deleter »

nice.
Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

THIS SOUNDS GREAT, FANTASTIC PROJECT I HOPE IT WILL BE DONE!!!
Oz

Post by Oz »

OK BUT THE ALL CAPS KINDA DISTURBS ME

sorry - i had to

oz~
Deleter

Post by Deleter »

yeah, it was kinda disturbing....you know just because you shout it doesn't make what you say any more powerful or anything...just annoying.
Chronos

Post by Chronos »

And a run-on sentence. XD If I heard that sentence aloud, I wouldn't have known where the previous sentence ended and the new one began without going through it myself.

But anyway, this sounds awesome. What a way for people who want to get into the Quake engine but don't want to learn the complexities of C/C++.
Oz

Post by Oz »

well the perks are that you'll learn a little bit of C, and understand what it's equivilant is in FB, and you'll know how 3d engines work alot better.

since Quake is GPLed, i'll break up the source and distribute it in "packs" so you don't have to download the entire BAS source code to get a little bit of quake code.

the more people on the project, the better - even if you're only going to do 2 lines of code translation :)

Oz~
The Car

Re: FreeBASIC QUake Translation Project

Post by The Car »

Looks cool! Do you have any prior 3d/game/opengl programming experience OZ?
Oz

Post by Oz »

Indeed, I do, but not alot, but since i am purely translating, i'll learn some of the 3d stuff that i don't already know

oz~
The Car

Post by The Car »

Oz -

Nice, I have a bit of opengl programming experience in VC. In fact I did borrow a couple of math functions from the original quakeworld source.. (I made my own cad level editor and lightmap generator though)

I can't promise any time right now as I'm pretty busy but I look forward to see the progress of the port!

Eric
dumbledore

Post by dumbledore »

cool, i think i'll try and help out a bit...
Oz

Post by Oz »

the site had a few bugs, and still does, but all the main features are working...make sure you read the "More Info..." part (link at the bottom)

that just about covers it

oz~
Shadowwolf

Post by Shadowwolf »

Oz so this project going to be a break down type thing like. you give out small segments of code. and that person simple translates and sends it back ?

not a bad idea but be kind of hard to test code. so you will have to have the translated segment go though peer review to see if any mistakes where made.
Oz

Post by Oz »

well, quake III is made up of about 100 files or so, so if we get about 5 people, only 20 files, and they aren't all that big, either.....some of them are, though....

but ya....everyone works on a seperate file, or even on a snippet of code and paste-bins it

once we have everything done, then we'll start testing....and the people that translate can compile, and comment the lines that seems to make everything screwy....but we should first focus on the header files (*.h)....once those are done, then everyone will download them, and then we start on the source files (*.c), which will make things less...messy

oz~