Peer-To-Peer Serverless Multi-User Internet Chat Conferencer

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
cenozoite

Post by cenozoite »

It's been a long time, but I've updated the link in the first post with a new improved version of the program. The most notable change is the introduction of a full-featured text editor with all advanced functionalities including four-way cursor key navigation, smart delete, backspace, insert, and dual-direction word wrap. The input area basically behaves like a word processor now instead of the clunky simplistic way it used to.

Here's an additional link to the new version:

Download CenoChat
Loe

Post by Loe »

Trend Micro detected cenochat as virus named Cryp_Yoda????
cenozoite

Post by cenozoite »

Bah! It's not a virus, I used Yoda's Protector (a well known app encryptor recommended right here on this forum) to encode the executable. I'm not sure why it would trigger a virus program. Funny thing is, I used it on the original version of CenoChat ages ago as well and no one had any trouble with it back then. I'll see if I can find an alternative. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: I've re-encrypted using the latest version of Yoda, try again and see what results you get this time..? Thanks...
Loe

Post by Loe »

poor me :-(
Trend Micro still detected as virus "Cryp_Yodap" and delete it
And I have no authority to disable it...
cenozoite

Post by cenozoite »

I've uploaded the unencrypted version for the time being, until I can find a compressor that doesn't trigger virus issues. This one should be clean.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

cenozoite,
nice chat program!

I was wondering if you could help me. I am currently coding a simple multi-player, turnbased game and would like to have other computers play (instead of all on one puter!). Can you send me (leopardpm@yahoo.com) the code needed for one computer to communicate to another assuming the IP addresses are already known (as in your chat)? I assume I am asking for the code to:

-open a port?
-listen at a port for incoming data
-determine if the data is for me (to my ip address?)
-send data to another computer IP
-close port?

I am fairly good at basic programming and made a simple network talking program about 20 years ago on the original Macintosh, but I am totally lost with windows/freebasic networking - any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Mihail_B

Re: Peer-To-Peer Serverless Multi-User Internet Chat Confere

Post by Mihail_B »

cenozoite wrote:**Updated November 15, 2008: New Improved Version Posted**
Download CenoChat
Internet Explorer wrote: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems
More information
a new link ?
greenllll

Post by greenllll »

Thanks for cenochat. I hope I can use it to send simple commands to make my game a multi-user online game.
mramos

Post by mramos »

I know this is an old thread. Does anyone have the cenochat or source? All the links are dead.
Kot

Post by Kot »

I found only these two files with execs, no source. They generate virus alerts, probably false ;-p
http://www.progresor.radom.pl/pliki2/CenoChat.zip
http://www.progresor.radom.pl/pliki2/CenoChat_2.zip
mramos

Post by mramos »

Thanks Kot,

What I found also. Old scam I guess, hahaha,,
cenozoite

Post by cenozoite »

mramos wrote:I know this is an old thread. Does anyone have the cenochat or source? All the links are dead.
Apologies for the several-years-late reply, for some reason I stopped receiving email notifications about activity in this topic. In case anyone is still interested, I am posting a new download link to CenoChat here below. Keep in mind the following though:
  • It is an old-school console/DOS mode program rather than a modern windowed app, and on current versions of Windows it by default runs in a pretty small console window that's hard to use at that size. Hitting Alt-Enter to switch to full-screen mode is tested and working correctly on Windows 10, and is really the only viable way to use it.
  • In order to chat with people you have to know their full numerical IP address in advance, and enter it into the interface to contact them directly. There is no underlying Distributed Hash Table or Overlay Network or anything like that which modern decentralized messengers use. It is truly direct peer-to-peer, client-to-client with to frills and no infrastructure.
  • Everything is transmitted over the TCP connections in pure plain-text with no encryption or security whatsoever. So it's suitable for casual chat/gaming but not for anything sensitive or private at all.
  • It's text-only and very primitive and rudimentary in look/feel/function. Don't expect a flashy Slack or Skype replacement. File-sending does work though, again without any encryption.
Download link:
Download CenoChat

Cheers
paul doe

Re: Peer-To-Peer Serverless Multi-User Internet Chat Conferencer

Post by paul doe »

Looks interesting. Source?
cenozoite

Re: Peer-To-Peer Serverless Multi-User Internet Chat Conferencer

Post by cenozoite »

paul doe wrote:Looks interesting. Source?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2krvxoflvavk ... t.bas?dl=0

Keep in mind a few things:
  • It was written several years ago to work with the version of FreeBasic that was current at the time. I have no idea how well it will compile or run under the present version if significant changes to the compiler or support libraries have been made since then.
  • At the time it was first published, it wasn't so common for everyone to have multi-port routers with built-in NAT rather than just simple one-connection modems, so as such there is no UPnP type port forwarding done by the program. Port forwarding has to be set up manually by the user ahead of time.
  • The code has never been cleaned up or formatted for open source readability, so it may or may not make much sense or be very useful to those examining it.