Lynn's Legacy - 1st demo

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
v1ctor
Site Admin

Lynn's Legacy - 1st demo

Post by v1ctor »

I dunno if they want it to go so "public" been posted here, but.. More details at http://forum.qbasicnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=10973.

Direct download: http://fileanchor.com/11329-d (in RAR format).

I remember using it to test FB in the first versions, awesome work by cha0s and Josiah Tobin (and i don't like RPG's, mind you :P).

Gimme some screenies, a small description and a web page and i'll add it to the gallery section..
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

o.o thanks, it means a lot that you would take the initiative to post this...

i can see what we can do about something for the gallery... i hope it speaks well for fb ^^;
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

It's great! I love action rpgs and there's so few of them (in our community). Keep at it!
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

Ok, i guess this is a good reason to do a winboot now :D
Sterling Christensen

Post by Sterling Christensen »

lurah wrote:Ok, i guess this is a good reason to do a winboot now :D
Actually you don't have to, it runs in wine.
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

Sterling Christensen wrote:
lurah wrote:Ok, i guess this is a good reason to do a winboot now :D
Actually you don't have to, it runs in wine.
Darn, well, winboot a day reminds me why i use linux. lol

Looks darn great, i loved graphics and colors of this game.
This project is definately worth of dailychecking :)
v1ctor
Site Admin

Post by v1ctor »

... i hope it speaks well for fb
Sure it does, otherwise i wouldn't be posting about it here :). But please add a machine gun or something, that gang of ghosts is too hard to kill :P.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

I love it...but I'm having trouble surviving. I just keep down the temptation to kill every enemy I see, so I tend to knock into them a lot.

Do you think you could make it so you only get hurt by enemies when they attack you? Hah. Maybe that'd make the game too easy. :D
Josiah Tobin

Post by Josiah Tobin »

Yep, the gameplay is somewhat more challenging than most games of this genre. You aren't required to kill everything, but at the same time it's not intended to force stealth or anything like that. Later in the game, when you get better weapons and more health, you can take on more and more enemies. At first you may have to learn for yourself which enemies to kill and which to avoid. ;) (note: I always avoid the poltergeists-- that is, the ghosts-- makes it much easier. You're never actually required to kill them, and they are fairly easy to avoid)

I'm very glad people seem to be liking the demo so far though. We've put a lot of time and effort into it, and I'm very proud of what we've been able to do.

@Lurah: Thanks, the overall color scheme of the game actually something I'm proud of as well-- some may not notice, but there is a subtle theme of colors throughout... lots of mellow greens, blues, and browns. Gives it a very earthy, almost subdued look. I won't spoil anything, but the mood of the later stages of the game (ie. not in the demo) should clash in a nicely shocking way, along with some of the later plot twists... ;)

@v1c: Machine gun, eh? XD ...Maybe you can convince cha0s to implement one as a secret weapon. I'm sure he'd do it if you asked. :p

EDIT: About the gallery, I dunno if cha0s has already given you something by now... but if not, there's a good description in QB Express #13 (http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... ml#gallery)
and some good screenshots in #16. (http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/express/issue16/)

"FB action RPG in the works by Josiah Tobin (music, art, story) and Cha0s (code, scene scripting). Started in QuickBasic in mid-2003."
...Might work as a description, if that's the kind of the thing you're looking for.
VirusScanner

Post by VirusScanner »

I get the "white screen of death" when I try to run it, that is, I choose Begin, it shows the creatures flying over the ocean, there are some explosions, the screen fades out to white, and it never comes back.

I still have music though.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

K. Let me just say something bout Lynn's Legacy.....

WOW. I loveeed this demo. Omfg yes! Yes! I want mooore. I crave it. I can't wait until the next demo.
Josiah Tobin

Post by Josiah Tobin »

anonymous1337 wrote:K. Let me just say something bout Lynn's Legacy.....

WOW. I loveeed this demo. Omfg yes! Yes! I want mooore. I crave it. I can't wait until the next demo.
Wow, thanks very much. I don't think we were too sure of the reaction to expect, so this is a very pleasant surprise. :D
Just a heads-up that there might not BE a 'next demo', we might decide to string you along and make you wait until the final game... ;)
Unless our plans change, which they often do. So, who knows?
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Well that's cool. I don't mind. You can't keep having a ton of demos that show off the game, or else you'd be giving too much away before the whole game comes out.

Maybe, you can just show off with a demo, certain aspects of the game in a demo if you make another one.

Since I'm not the creator of that game, I don't know what those certain aspects would be, so I'm not expecting anything else until the game's done. ^_^;;

I'm glad that you guys are so far though. Making a demo like that takes a lot of work.
VirusScanner

Post by VirusScanner »

Everyone is talking about this game being so good, and I can't run it. Zelda is about the only video game I like, and I wish I could try this one... anyone have any ideas of why it is having problems?
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

if you have msn, you can add me and we can try to resolve these problems.

the *only* thing i can think that could be causing your problem would be an incorrect readout from gfxlib "palette get" statement. cuz my func will fade up to white, and when every color reads white, it will call back to allow the next func to execute (in the case of the opening seq, an immediate fade down). the only thing i can think is that it isnt reading completely white, and hanging in that func, never calling back.

its a strange error though.

edit: about 'features' ;) atm i'm implementing an acceleration/deceleration system to make zelda-like sliding around, like walking on ice, for example ;)

theres going to be a *bit* more in the final game than is in that demo of the first dungeon ;p. compare the first dungeon of zelda to the entire game ;p.