FreeBasic IDE-poseidonFB(Update 2020.07.20)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
deltarho[1859]

Re: FreeBasic IDE-poseidonFB(Update 2017.07.23)

Postby deltarho[1859] » Jul 24, 2017 21:10

@ Yung-Kuan

Is 'Options>Tools>Set Custom Tools ..' operational?

I wrote a test console exe, give it a name in the listbox and an associated path but when I clicked 'Apply' nothing seemed to happen.

GOT IT!

Build>Run will execute the selected tool.

Due to my no vaporware policy I cannot say what I am up to. In other words a 'avoid egg on my face' policy in case it doesn't work.<smile>
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Jul 24, 2017 22:49

I cannot say what I am up to.

I have to now because I have hit a snag.

I want poseidonFB to have a build options feature so I am in the process of writing a tool which edits the [buildtools]= > defaultoption= value in editorSettings.ini file.

It works but when I open Options>Preference it is clear that the ini file is not been read again so my edit is effectively ignored. If I run the tool as a standalone before opening poseidonFB then the edit 'bites' and I am good to go.

With FbEdit I have 10 build options to choose from. I don't need that many with poseidonFB because of the 'Console / GUI' and '32 / 64 bit' buttons. The additional options will be for compiler/optimization, debug, library and dll.

FBIde and WinFBE are also lacking in this respect.

The ability to easily switch build options from with poseidonFB will, in my opinion, give poseidonFB's user base a boost. I would prefer to see this feature in an update rather than via a tool which, at the moment, only works if applied before opening posisdonFB.
PaulSquires

Postby PaulSquires » Jul 24, 2017 23:46

deltarho[1859] wrote:
With FbEdit I have 10 build options to choose from. I don't need that many with poseidonFB because of the 'Console / GUI' and '32 / 64 bit' buttons. The additional options will be for compiler/optimization, debug, library and dll.

FBIde and WinFBE are also lacking in this respect.

The ability to easily switch build options from with poseidonFB will, in my opinion, give poseidonFB's user base a boost. I would prefer to see this feature in an update rather than via a tool which, at the moment, only works if applied before opening posisdonFB.

I am trying to understand exactly what it is you are looking for. In terms of WinFBE, you can set any type of compile option for a Project via the Project Options dialog. In this scenario, Project Options are saved on a per project basis.

However, if I understand you correctly, you would like a way to be able to specify *multiple* build options for any individual project. For example, Build Option 1 and 2 could be Debug builds for 32 and 64 bit, while Build Option 3 and 4 could be Release builds for 32 and 64 bit versions of the program, etc... and you want a way to quickly change amongst them.

Am I on the right track?
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Jul 25, 2017 0:17

Paul wrote:Am I on the right track?

Yes.

FBEdit has a dialog for creating builds and a combo box for selection. I moved the dialog so I could grab a screenshot showing both.

With both poseidonFB and WinFBE the compiler is already catered for in their own way.

Kuan Hsu

Postby Kuan Hsu » Jul 25, 2017 11:32

deltarho[1859] wrote:
Paul wrote:Am I on the right track?

Yes.

FBEdit has a dialog for creating builds and a combo box for selection. I moved the dialog so I could grab a screenshot showing both.

With both poseidonFB and WinFBE the compiler is already catered for in their own way.

Why not -- Just "Right-Click" the toolbar button about "Compile/Build/Run" group~
I fixed a little bug about "Build All" action at rev0.292
Last edited by Kuan Hsu on Jul 25, 2017 12:01, edited 2 times in total.
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Jul 25, 2017 11:52

Why not indeed, but where is that dialog?
deltarho[1859]

Re: FreeBasic IDE-poseidonFB(Update 2017.07.25)

Postby deltarho[1859] » Jul 25, 2017 12:34

Apologies - I had seen that before but I could not remember how we get to it.

For those that are not aware, in the icon menu we have five buttons relating to compilation. They are not just left click sensitive but also right click sensitive. Added: I see a blue note has appeared in Kuan's last post.

During an application development, intended for release, at some point it is worthwhile to start a Help file. That can develop as the code develops. If that job is left until the first stable release then the author may be facing a monumental task and it will, almost certainly, have many unintended omissions. poseidonFB is definitely stabilising of late so it may be a good time to halt coding for a while and consider a Help file. Some folk love writing help files - personally I cannot stand it. It is not easy for an author to remove their coding hat and put on a user hat - they are very different. I published GUIRuler in these forums recently. I had been using it for years but it did not have a decent Help file so I wrote one for the forum. I was a nervous wreck at the end of it. <Ha, ha>

If you have time, Kuan, it would be helpful to explain the reasoning behind why 'Compile Opt:' and 'Execute Args:' are greyed out in some of the right click dialogs. I can understand some of the reasons but there are five buttons in that group and it is not obvious, to me, exactly what your intentions are for all of them.
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Jul 25, 2017 13:05

Actually, the dialog is a little confusing because 'Compile Opt:' isn't really a combo box because it cannot be expanded whereas 'Execute Args:' can be.

Also when we click OK we are forced into an execution whether we like it or not. Instead of just 'OK' and 'Cancel' we should have something like 'Execute', 'Apply' and 'Cancel' where 'Apply' allows the argument list to be extended without any execution ie a build options feature.
St_W

Postby St_W » Jul 25, 2017 13:34

Visual Studio, for example, allows to define "Configuration"s (e.g. Debug, Release, Deploy) and "Platform"s (e.g. x86, x64, ARM) where each individual combination of those can have its own compiler/linker settings. If you are not familiar with VS these screenshots may give an idea how it looks/works:
https://tacovs.blob.core.windows.net/vs ... select.png
https://manage.accuwebhosting.com/kb-im ... anager.jpg
https://unity3d.com/profiles/unity3d/th ... atform.png
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/physi ... ration.png
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rvDIg1a8VSM/U ... 3+-+03.png
https://i-msdn.sec.s-msft.com/dynimg/IC37016.jpeg

That feature is similar to the one in FbEdit, except that FBedit combines configuration and platform to a single configuration. Other existing IDEs have similar features. For example QtCreator also has build configurations and "Kit"s (a set of tools including compilers, etc.; similar to VS's platform setting). In contrast to VS it also has separate "run configurations" as does the Eclipse IDE.

I'd love to see such a feature in poseidonFB (or other FB IDEs) too.
UEZ

Postby UEZ » Jul 25, 2017 13:42

When I've opened 14 files and therefore 14 tabs will be opened the order of the tabs will be mixed up on next start.
As already requested a feature to sort the tabs would be fine.
Kuan Hsu

Postby Kuan Hsu » Jul 25, 2017 14:59

UEZ wrote:When I've opened 14 files and therefore 14 tabs will be opened the order of the tabs will be mixed up on next start.
As already requested a feature to sort the tabs would be fine.

(1)The sort issue will fix at next rev.
(2)As previous post, IUP not support DnD about Tabs yet, in another way we can get mouse position to calculate the tabs index then copy / remove / insert the tab by ourselve, IUP has the function but is static function, we need modify the source code and re-compile the IUP lib, but I don't want to modify the IUP.......
Plan B:
poseidonFB's "Filelist" can use DnD to change the order, we can click the item on "Filelist" to jump the tab.
Kuan Hsu

Postby Kuan Hsu » Jul 25, 2017 15:01

St_W wrote:I'd love to see such a feature in poseidonFB (or other FB IDEs) too.

Let me think.....(Layout change......)
Last edited by Kuan Hsu on Jul 25, 2017 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Kuan Hsu

Postby Kuan Hsu » Jul 25, 2017 15:04

deltarho[1859] wrote:Actually, the dialog is a little confusing because 'Compile Opt:' isn't really a combo box because it cannot be expanded whereas 'Execute Args:' can be.

Also when we click OK we are forced into an execution whether we like it or not. Instead of just 'OK' and 'Cancel' we should have something like 'Execute', 'Apply' and 'Cancel' where 'Apply' allows the argument list to be extended without any execution ie a build options feature.

(1)?? If right-click "Run" button, the "Compiler Opt" is grey( ACTIVE=NO )
(2)The "Apply" will add at next rev.
Kuan Hsu

Postby Kuan Hsu » Jul 25, 2017 15:15

deltarho[1859] wrote:Apologies - I had seen that before but I could not remember how we get to it.

For those that are not aware, in the icon menu we have five buttons relating to compilation. They are not just left click sensitive but also right click sensitive. Added: I see a blue note has appeared in Kuan's last post.

During an application development, intended for release, at some point it is worthwhile to start a Help file. That can develop as the code develops. If that job is left until the first stable release then the author may be facing a monumental task and it will, almost certainly, have many unintended omissions. poseidonFB is definitely stabilising of late so it may be a good time to halt coding for a while and consider a Help file. Some folk love writing help files - personally I cannot stand it. It is not easy for an author to remove their coding hat and put on a user hat - they are very different. I published GUIRuler in these forums recently. I had been using it for years but it did not have a decent Help file so I wrote one for the forum. I was a nervous wreck at the end of it. <Ha, ha>
To write a manual is more difficult than coding poseidonFB sources, especially my "good"(???) english
I will try, will try...
deltarho[1859] wrote:If you have time, Kuan, it would be helpful to explain the reasoning behind why 'Compile Opt:' and 'Execute Args:' are greyed out in some of the right click dialogs. I can understand some of the reasons but there are five buttons in that group and it is not obvious, to me, exactly what your intentions are for all of them.
"Compile" = need compiler options, not exe args
"Run" = need pass args to exe, not compiler options
"Quick Run" = need both
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Jul 25, 2017 17:07

By 'Execute Args:' you mean an optional command line/switches for the resulting exe.

I am slow sometimes.<smile>
To write a manual is more difficult than coding poseidonFB sources

It would be for an author whose first language is English.

What we have on this forum is pretty much a bunch of ladies and gentlemen and many of them, including me, would be more than happy to support you on writing a Help file. There seems to me to be a higher percentage of amateur programmers as members of this forum than any other that I have been too but, paradoxically, there seems to me to be a higher percentage of members who behave in a professional manner than any other forum that I have been too. If any member is critical, from what I have seen, there are quite a few who will give them 'what for' ( what for).

I shall keep my eye out for any changes in language which may be appropriate. There is one which springs to mind. In the Compiler tab of the Preference dialog is: Before Compile, Delete Existed Execute File. That may be better if written as: Before Compiling, Delete Existing Exe File.

Return to “Projects”