FreeBasic IDE-poseidonFB(Update 2020.07.20)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Dinosaur

Re: FreeBasic IDE-poseidonFB(Update 2017.07.30)

Postby Dinosaur » Jul 30, 2017 17:33

Hi All

After reading and following this project, I thought I would try it and compare to Geany.

1. Download by clicking in first post on Linux-64 bit (I am running Linux Mint 17.3)
2. Extract into a folder called Poseidon.
3. 2 folders and 2 files visible.
4. Click on poseidonFB_64
Nothing, no error no messages, no window opening Zilch
5. Click on consoleLauncher
Nothing, no error no messages, no window opening Zilch again.

A text file in the tar.gz file detailing how to set up would have been nice for a first time user.

Do I now have to read 29 pages of forum messages to find out how to run this ??

Regards
St_W

Postby St_W » Jul 30, 2017 17:52

Have you installed the IUP libraries as stated just below the download link?
Could you try to run it from a console window and report any error messages that may appear?
Dinosaur

Postby Dinosaur » Jul 30, 2017 18:04

Hi All

St_W thanks for your prompt reply.
Downloaded IUP, extracted into IUP folder.
Readme file has no installation instruction.
Click on install
"Press ..... Enter to Continue"
Press Enter, Console window closes with no further messages or action.

Open console in same folder
su
Ran fix_permission
Command not found
Ran install
Command not found

Thought I must have downloaded wrong file, so made sure, still no luck

Does someone have a command line download and install command for IUP ?

REgards
St_W

Postby St_W » Jul 30, 2017 18:19

I've just tried on Ubuntu 17.04 64-bit and it worked flawlessy (I've no Linux Mint installation available here).

I downloaded this one:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/iup/fi ... z/download

Extracted it and ran "sudo ./install" in that folder.

That was it.

//edit: btw a small issue on Ubuntu: as Ubuntu doesn't have a menu bar in the window by default (just like Mac OSX) there is some strange whitespace:
https://snag.gy/g0Hks4.jpg
Kuan Hsu

Postby Kuan Hsu » Jul 30, 2017 18:25

Dinosaur wrote:Hi All

St_W thanks for your prompt reply.
Downloaded IUP, extracted into IUP folder.
Readme file has no installation instruction.
Click on install
"Press ..... Enter to Continue"
Press Enter, Console window closes with no further messages or action.

Open console in same folder
su
Ran fix_permission
Command not found
Ran install
Command not found

Thought I must have downloaded wrong file, so made sure, still no luck

Does someone have a command line download and install command for IUP ?

REgards

Download linux version IUP3.22 and exrtract, open terminal keyin:
sudo ./install

Goto http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/en/guide.html, read and install GTK+ (since IUP 3.0) libraries
Dinosaur

Postby Dinosaur » Jul 30, 2017 19:57

Hi All

GTK+ was already installed on my system, but re-installed, then confirmed what was installed.
IUP appears to go through the installation process copying files to folders.
Extracting Poseidon into a folder and then going to Terminal in same folder.
Type in consoleLauncher and I get "Command not found" yet it is there.
Same with poseidonFB_x64

What is most surprising is that if either program fails for whatever reason, I expect a message from the program.
ie: Can't find ....lib or whatever

But nothing.

Regards
St_W

Postby St_W » Jul 30, 2017 21:04

You are aware that you launch applications in the current working directory by specifying the path prefix "./" on Linux systems, are you?
So instead of "poseidonFB_x64" you have to enter "./poseidonFB_x64".
Launching applications by their filename is only possible if their storage location is listed in the PATH environment variable.

btw, consoleLauncher is used by poseidonFB and not intended to be launched directly by users.
Dinosaur

Postby Dinosaur » Jul 30, 2017 21:11

Hi All

Plead ignorance to that.
Once I have Linux setup, I don't venture into the Terminal screen much.

However, the response now is :bash: ./poseidonFBx64 : no such file or directory.

Is that poseidon reporting it can't find a file or directory , or is it the same fault as before in that it simply
doesn't see the program ?

Regards

Edit:
Sorry forgot underscore.
Getting missing library errors now.

Code: Select all

./poseidonFB_x64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /usr/lib/libiup_scintilla.so)
./poseidonFB_x64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by /usr/lib/libiup_scintilla.so)

Will perservere.

Edit2:
Googling GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found , seems like the whole world has that problem with every conceivable remedy not working for me.
Last edited by Dinosaur on Jul 30, 2017 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
St_W

Postby St_W » Jul 30, 2017 22:03

That usually means that your system's libstd++ library (C++ runtime library) is too old or incompatible to the version expected by, in this case, the IUP libraries to work.

First check whether you have the latest version using your package manager. Unfortunately I don't know how that works on Linux Mint; on debian based systems it would be something like "sudo apt-get install libstdc++6" - maybe it's similar on Linux Mint.

If that doesn't work (or you don't know how to do) try a different download of the IUP library. There are multiple ones available compiled with different versions of Linux operating systems.
You can find out your version of the Linux kernel by executing "uname -a" in the console.
Dinosaur

Postby Dinosaur » Jul 30, 2017 22:11

Hi All

I have already tried the re-install.
Now I get:

Code: Select all

./poseidonFB_x64: relocation error: /usr/lib/libiup_scintilla.so: symbol _ZTVNSt7__cxx1119basic_ostringstreamIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE, version GLIBCXX_3.4.21 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

This getting to complicated for general use.
St_W

Postby St_W » Jul 30, 2017 23:43

Re-Installing does not help if you choose the wrong (an incompatible) build of the IUP libraries.

According to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Min ... n_programs
your Linux Mint 17.3 uses the old Linux kernel 3.19, thus you must use the IUP build "iup-3.22_Linux319_64_lib.tar.gz" (or older)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/iup/fi ... z/download
(I had a newer Linux installed, that's why the IUP build for newer Linux versions I've linked in a previous post did work for me, but not for you)

That should work :-)

Dinosaur wrote:This getting to complicated for general use.
IMHO the problem is rather lacking understanding of the operating system. Normally "typical" Linux user know their system quite well, so - to be honest - you're a bit untypical Linux user and I didn't expect that.

Many things work differently on Linux than on Windows and you usually can't simply download an application and execute it on Linux. Normally you get applications from a package repository, but if an application is not available from there it soon gets complicated because Linux isn't as homogenous as Windows. There are dozen of different variants with a lot of incompatibilites among them and often applications need to be compiled from source right for your Linux version and the installed libraries. Unfortunately neither poseidonFB nor the IUP libraries are available from a package repository. Please also note that poseidonFB is only available as beta-version yet and things will change (e.g. better documentation).

On Linux libraries aren't shipped per application but installed system-wide. That is why you have to install them separately.
And of course there are different Linux versions and e.g. binaries for Linux 4.4 obviously do not work on Linux 3.19 in the same way as a program for Windows 7 and higher would not work on Windows 95. Additionally, backwards compatibility is not regarded as that important in the Linux ecosystem, so applications for older Linux versions might not work on newer versions in contrast to Windows, where a Windows 95 application typically still works on Windows 7.

I hope that made things a bit clearer. So, long story short, if you want to just download & run use the Windows version. I would also suggest to read some introduction to the Linux basics. Whether you'll need it or not, knowing your OS a little bit better can't hurt.
Dinosaur

Postby Dinosaur » Jul 31, 2017 1:28

Hi All

St_W I appreciate your candour in this.
My history is Dos for about 30+ years, then XP embedded for about 3 years, then Linux in the last 3.

Unfortunately, my prime focus has to be on my application running and doing it's job.
Currently that is running food machinery producing 100 + packets of Smoothies per minute.
I use FB and CGUI to achieve that.

The tools I use, have to make my life easier not harder, and because I had a day (Sunday) to play around a bit, I thought
I could test Poseidon without to much hassle.

I guess I was wrong.
There was one comment in this thread where the poster wondered why not more people are getting involved in testing this package.
How many others have gone down this path, and decided "Better the devil you know".

Without criticising the author of Poseidon, perhaps there should be more focus on making the installation of the package "user friendly" and thus expanding it's user base, which then results in a larger feedback.

Anyway, perhaps the next idle day I will try again.

Many thanks for time and help.

REgards
Kuan Hsu

Re: FreeBasic IDE-poseidonFB(Update 2017.07.25)

Postby Kuan Hsu » Jul 31, 2017 12:02

Kuan Hsu wrote:
UEZ wrote:When I've opened 14 files and therefore 14 tabs will be opened the order of the tabs will be mixed up on next start.
As already requested a feature to sort the tabs would be fine.

(1)The sort issue will fix at next rev.
(2)As previous post, IUP not support DnD about Tabs yet, in another way we can get mouse position to calculate the tabs index then copy / remove / insert the tab by ourselve, IUP has the function but is static function, we need modify the source code and re-compile the IUP lib, but I don't want to modify the IUP.......
Plan B:
poseidonFB's "Filelist" can use DnD to change the order, we can click the item on "Filelist" to jump the tab.

I'll add change tab order with "Filelist" DnD operate at rev.297(not update yet), not DnD between tabs but works...
UEZ

Postby UEZ » Jul 31, 2017 14:39

Some more feature wishes :-)

Is it possible
  1. to add an option to have multi lines tabs?
  2. make active tab on startup visible?
  3. open multi files in file open dialog?
  4. play a sound when compiling fails?

After I opened the "Preference" window and pressed the ok button I got following error message:
"An exception was thrown while finalizing an instance of class parser.ast.CASTnode :: Access Violation - Read at address 0x:%x"

Might be the result adding all 14 tabs manually to the "[prevDocs]=" section in the ini file.

Thank you very much for your efforts in this project.
Kuan Hsu

Postby Kuan Hsu » Jul 31, 2017 15:40

UEZ wrote:Some more feature wishes :-)

Is it possible
  1. to add an option to have multi lines tabs?
  2. make active tab on startup visible?
  3. open multi files in file open dialog?
  4. play a sound when compiling fails?

After I opened the "Preference" window and pressed the ok button I got following error message:
"An exception was thrown while finalizing an instance of class parser.ast.CASTnode :: Access Violation - Read at address 0x:%x"

Might be the result adding all 14 tabs manually to the "[prevDocs]=" section in the ini file.

Thank you very much for your efforts in this project.

(1)I use "IupFlatTabs" control of new IUP3.22, but it not supports "MULTILINE" attribute, and if change back to normal "IupTabs"( support "MULTILINE" but need re-compiled ) will make new "FileList" DnD action become very strange, so.....I think poseidonFB will not support multi-line tabs, sorry.
(2)Do you mean show the last active tab while using "Previous Document"?
(3)Another one I've wrote done for years but not update..><, it will check and add at next rev.
(4)Compile OK and NG already have different sound( Preference -> toggle "Show Compiled Result Window" ).
(5)About exception issue, may you show your manual settings, thanks~

Return to “Projects”